Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch marks

(19 Posts)
Pritchyx Sun 28-Oct-12 18:43:41

I know everyone has thought about this topic! But seriously, is there a way to prevent getting them or at least minimising them?!
I've heard all different ones, i moisturise twice a day and drink plenty of water but apparently using bio oil AND cocoa butter stops stretch marks...

Id like to see if any of you have any tips? X

TwitchyTail Sun 28-Oct-12 19:21:54

I've heard sweet almond oil is very good for preventing, so I ordered a bottle from Amazon (very cheap - £3 for 250ml). I'll let you know how it goes!

I think any sort of moisturising oil/cream used daily will help, and the rest is down to lucky genes.

Pritchyx Sun 28-Oct-12 20:41:23

God help me then! My mom has managed to push FOUR of us out and had stretch marks from me and my brother and sister, my eldest sister didn't give my mom any so I'm gonna be covered if genes are to go by! Oh lord, and I'm hoping it's one and not two! Find out thurs!

I'm going straight too boots and buying every moisturising and stretch mark creams available haha! X

Rowanhart Sun 28-Oct-12 21:32:39

I honestly think you'll either get them or not. 38 weeks and so far so good. I've remembered to moisturise probs twice a week

I do Bath with bath crime everyday though...

Samvet Sun 28-Oct-12 21:35:22

I did fricking everything I could. Cocoa butter, bio oil, other stuff supposed to 'stop' stretch marks, water, exercise, slow weight gain.
Still got the fuckers.
Don't waste your money. Wish I had saved it, could have gone on holiday the amount I spent!

bonzo77 Sun 28-Oct-12 21:50:37

My understanding is that either you are prone to them or not. But..... I got horrible ones during puberty: they are stlll visible as white lines on my breasts and hips, though I'm sure I had them all down my inner thighs too. But I didn't get any new ones while pg with DS. I was pretty good about moisturising or oiling 2x a day. I'm now 30 weeks pg and have gained a bit more weight than last time (though not excessive, 1 stone so far) and still no stretch marks. Am moisturising or oiling at least 1x a day.

DieDeutschLehrerin Mon 29-Oct-12 02:52:35

L'occitane supple skin oil x2 a day worked for me. It's expensive but it was my luxury. Another one who had many puberty related stretch marks but none from pregnancy.

YokoUhOh Mon 29-Oct-12 03:04:04

Loads of puberty stretch marks, no pregnancy ones (36 weeks) - keep using bio-oil and cross your fingers!

newbielisa Mon 29-Oct-12 03:04:20

You will get them or you won't. I didn't get any with DD and have 2 weeks left of this pregnancy and nothing so far. I have bio oiled my bump once this pregnancy and maybe 5 times for the last one, I forget!

MrsHoarder Mon 29-Oct-12 04:56:48

I recommend not being pregnant. On the bright side, I had a terrible tiger belly which is looking much better at 5 months post partum already.

octanegirl Mon 29-Oct-12 08:54:34

Actually...there is one product that actually has has the clinical trials and does actually work. It's called Trofolastin. It's not sold in the UK but you can get it on Amazon. Look it up on Wikipedia if you like.

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 29-Oct-12 12:13:46

a plastic surgeon told me why expensive creams work better than cheap ones - because people use them more sparingly and therefore spend more time rubbing them in. With cheap creams people just slap it on. Its the rubbing in of the cream that does it more than the ingredients so take your time.

First time round I used mamabee belly butter, it was expensive and yummy so I really indulged in taking time to rub it it.. no stretch marks
this time Im just using pure coconut oil but am trying to not slap it on and take time over rubbing it in and it's worked so far (30 wks)

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 29-Oct-12 12:15:09

(the surgeon was talking in relation to scars as I had a scar on my face BTW, not just beauty creams but the same would apply. He said get some cream, any really, and rub in circles a lot)

ISeeThreadPeople Mon 29-Oct-12 12:19:11

The skin tears at a level no lotion or potion will reach. You can minimise the itch, make yourself more comfortable and deal with the scars afterwards but generally you'll get them or you won't. It's mainly genetic and also down to position of the baby, elasticity of skin, age, weight gain etc.

I was really diligent when pg first time round (had itchy skin and a mahoosive bump) and used creams twice daily. I had terrible stretchmarks on my stomach, boobs, thighs, back and knees. With ds I barely had time to wee (one dd already, doing up the house, sick mother) and moisturised v occasionally. I got no additional stretchmarks.

Saltytomato Mon 29-Oct-12 21:32:57

I used bio oil and got none, but then had an emergency c section and managed to get stretch marks AFTER I had given birth when I was bed bound and didn't think to put any on! Gutted.

ItsMyLastOne Tue 30-Oct-12 13:55:19

I put on almost 4 stone when pg with DC1 and got one small stretch mark on my bum.

This time I'm 35+1 and so far have none.

First time I out on bio oil very very occasionally, maybe 6 or 7 times in my whole pregnancy. This time I haven't put anything on at all.

I expected to get them as I got loads during puberty and my twin sister got loads during her pregnancy.

ItsMyLastOne Tue 30-Oct-12 13:57:45

Oh and I meant to say, this time I have an enormous bump (as everyone keeps helpfully pointing out) and have got to a similar weight to what I was at the end of my last pregnancy.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 30-Oct-12 20:05:13

I used palmers cocoa butter oil on my belly in the shower.
No stretch marks so far and I'm 25 weeks with dc no 3, except
for one tiny one along my navel piercing scar which appeared the day before my second was born. Then again, my mother had 3 kids and no stretch marks, my older sister has 2 kids and no stretch marks and my younger sister has just had her first and has no stretch marks. We must be genetically blessed in this respect.

Rockchick1984 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:35:32

Salty mine only appeared after the birth too, about a week or so later sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now