Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is a crib mattress ok for a second use if it's been washed at 90 degrees?

(15 Posts)
mrswee Sun 28-Oct-12 12:02:36

hi all

I don't want to take a risk but I have a second hand crib that came with a foam mattress that looked completely clean, no marks or stains at all like is never been used. The mattress says it can be washed at 60 degress, I've just stuck it in the wash at 90 degress... asuming it survives the 90 degree wash, will that be enough to steralise it and make it safe for a new baby? does any one know?

I would just go out and buy one but I literally have no money this month and my baby is due in 4 weeks!
What does every one think?

thanks!

MousyMouse Sun 28-Oct-12 12:09:13

90 degrees should be enough to kill all nasties.
I would (if possible) put it outside for some uv light and make sure it dries quickly.
I would be more worried that the cot was stored in a damp loft or garage (mould!) than anything else.

seven77 Sun 28-Oct-12 12:12:42

Can you wash the whole mattress or is it just a washable cover? I believe the advice is because of mould spores deep inside the mattress that you can't see, which would be killed by a 90 wash. I bought my crib mattress from mothercare, it was only £12 so depends if you think it's worth using the second hand one.

mrswee Sun 28-Oct-12 12:34:58

It's the whole mattress that is in the washing machine. It hasn't been stored in a loft or any where else it's been in use and then passed straight on.

I know it not expensive to buy a crib mattress but I had most of my Direct debits refused this month blush due to double mortgage payments and a flat renovation that went on for months more than expected and have had to buy the basic essentials for my hospital bag from my boots points! we've just moved house and got our other flat rented finally so should be a little better off in 6 weeks but I am concerned my baby will have nowhere to sleep it is arrives before then!

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 12:36:58

I heard the other day it's as the previous baby sort of moulds the shape of the mattress and so it's safer to get new?

I have the same dilemma with dc2 who will be having ds1s old things.

AlisonDB Sun 28-Oct-12 12:45:28

90 wash should kill any nasties mousey says,
Why don't you wash it with the intention of using it if your baby does come within the next 4 wks but with the view of buying a new one as soon as you can afford it?

scottishmummy Sun 28-Oct-12 12:55:02

congratulations when new arrives
needs must,if its clean its in good repair use it
if or when you can afford new mattress buy it then

mrswee Sun 28-Oct-12 22:15:05

Thanks scottishmummy

yeah I think that's what I will do, use this one if I need to but get a new one when I have the money as it seems like it won't be full of germs!

I'll be laying awake at night listening to my baby breathing anyway!

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 22:16:29

I just ordered one for 15 pounds from very and mn is offering 10 percent off at the mo..

scottishmummy Sun 28-Oct-12 22:17:26

dont fret unnecessarily.cut yourself some slack
mattresses shouldnt be troubling you
best wishes when baby arrives

Apparentlychilled Sun 28-Oct-12 22:24:01

I would thi k it should be fine, but if you're still concerned, maybe wash in napisan- it is designed for nappies but can be used for anything and removes all bacteria etc.

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 22:26:42

Just says to make sure it's clean firm not saggy and fits well.

scottishmummy Sun 28-Oct-12 22:28:51

could you get it dry cleaned cheaply
those cards in shop window mattress clean mattress doctor
but then that would need to be less than price of new mattress

Discolite Mon 29-Oct-12 10:52:08

I don't think 90 degrees is enough to kill spores. They can have heat resistant outer coats. When I worked in a microbiology lab the standard there was something like 120 degrees C at higher pressure than usual, and that killed pretty much everything except for prions which you don't need to worry about. Dry cleaning isn't necessarily going to kill microbes/spores.

scottishmummy Mon 29-Oct-12 11:56:45

ah that's interesting
what you reckon to those mattress clean services,would they work
other than buying new one what would adequately hygienically clean mattress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now