Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

stinging when weeing after birth

(13 Posts)
emzypoo Sun 28-Oct-12 06:04:34

Hi everyone I gave birth to my beautiful daughter on wednesday morning and was lucky not to need any stitches. Since I've been home when I wee the stinging is ten times worse than when I was in hospital I've put this down to the fact I had a lot of baths since to try and ease it and think there is a small tare! Mw says there's nothing I can really do to stop it stinging apart from wee in the bath! Anybody got any tips to help and also how to heal the area would salt water baths help? Any advice would be appreciated its getting me down x

Iheartpasties Sun 28-Oct-12 06:11:07

A warm jug of water - poor it as you wee on the toilet. Sorry dont know what else to say, fingers crossed it will heal up quickly. I was told to avoid baths until my stitched had healed up.

corblimeymadam Sun 28-Oct-12 06:12:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZuleikaD Sun 28-Oct-12 06:24:19

Lean right forward (like bent double over your knees) when you wee. Also pouring warm water over it while you wee, and weeing in the bath help. Some people swear by Epsom Salts in the bath to aid healing.

Graciescotland Sun 28-Oct-12 06:39:59

A few drops of lavender oil dissolved in a glass of milk mixed with warm running water in the bath helped soothe my "grazed bits"

JimbosJetSet Sun 28-Oct-12 06:46:12

I found it stung more when my urine was more concentrated - drinking more fluids helped me in those early days smile

greenbananas Sun 28-Oct-12 08:30:50

Keep a jug of water by the loo and pour it over yourself when you are doing a wee. I had forgotten how much weeing hurts in the first few weeks - it does get better soon, honestly.

NAR4 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:34:02

Boiled water in a squirty bottle to water your bits as you wee. My MIL told me that you need at least half a bag (250g) salt in a shallow warm bath, to help. The salt baths don't sting and did seem to help me. Also like previously stated, drink plenty of water to dilute your wee.

Springforward Sun 28-Oct-12 21:35:45

YY to squirty water bottle - really, really helps (I think they should add this to the hospital bag list, personally).

AlisonDB Sun 28-Oct-12 22:35:44

As already mentioned:
Squirty water bottle with warmish water
Leaning forward to pee,
And drinking loads.

You could also try putting a bit of honey on to the tear as it has great healing properties.

whatdoithinknow Mon 29-Oct-12 09:12:02

Mine hurt like hell after DD's birth too. Had basicaly got what midwife called grazing which didn't require stitching, when i examined later it was like tearing inside but nothing worth stitching hurt like hell to pee though as its like pouring vinegar on a wound! Hadn't thought of peeing leaning forward will try that when i pop next time round. I used warm water too to wash it off quick as possible. I was literaly in tears going for a wee in hospital, it heals fairly fast tho. Congratulations xxx

AlisonDB Mon 29-Oct-12 15:44:38

I forgot to mention Vaseline, if you dont like the idea of using honey,
Then smeer a bit of Vaseline on the tear, before you pee,
It will act as a bit of a water barrier,

Wanttostayinbedallday Mon 29-Oct-12 16:17:07

Oh you're bringing it all back! Why am I doing this again?! Yes salt water baths can help the healing but I think it needs to be a massive concentration of salt.. Drink gallons of water. Maybe doctor could recommend a cream to reduce inflammation. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now