Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag snacks

(19 Posts)
Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sat 27-Oct-12 13:31:43

Any ideas what to put in? I cant remember what I out in last time. My DH will be with me and I'm hoping to be induced so may be in for the long haul again. I have a tesco shop coming tomorrow and so far all I have is:

7up sugar free
Red bull (for him)
Flapjack things
Fruit pastilles

I can't for the life of me think of anything else!

Help?

Neverme Sat 27-Oct-12 13:33:07

Something like dried prunes or apricots - whatever happens you're likely to be constipated! Apricots good also because they are rich in iron

Welovecouscous Sat 27-Oct-12 13:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pmgkt Sat 27-Oct-12 13:39:29

When I was induced on a drip I wasn't allowed to eat anything in case I needed a emcs. Luckily I ended up with one cos I would have had no energy at all to push. Maybe some energy tablets or similar too.

MsPickle Sat 27-Oct-12 13:40:21

I also had some ambrosia creamed rice pots. I didn't eat during my fast labour but was flagging and dh couldn't find the dextrose tablets I'd packed so was feeding me jelly babies whenever I opened my mouth! As I'm gluten free I knew eating afterwards would be tricky so also took some gf Jaffa cakes that a friend had sent me so we had a cuppa and a celebratory biscuit afterwards. I was glad I had plenty as there wasn't a breakfast option that I could have!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sat 27-Oct-12 13:44:41

I know I'm unlikely to be allowed when on the drip and in labour ward but hubby can and I'm thinking for afterwards as the hospital food there just wasnt enough of it!

Dextrose tablets seem like a good idea! And I like the sound of the Jaffa cakes!

NellyBluth Sat 27-Oct-12 13:47:25

I threw up a lot (hospital cottage pie didn't really help the situation) so second anything that will give you a quick energy hit even if you can't keep it down for too long.

Something quite soft, as there's a high chance you'll be a little bit dehydrated so chewing something like a flapjack might be difficult.

Also, remember food for afterwards, you're more likely to be starving if you end up having the baby at 1 in the morning than you are to be hungry during labour.

backwardpossom Sat 27-Oct-12 14:42:12

The most useful snack I had in my bag was nutrigrain bars. I don't remember eating anything during labour, but I ended up in hospital for 4 days afterwards and they were a great wee snack when I was up through the night, between meals etc.

Boop33 Sat 27-Oct-12 17:08:13

also remember they do have shops in hospitals - i was concerned about his too but then realised (after a brief stay in hosi recently) that i can always send DH to the shop for me and that tbh this would probably be the least of my worries. I agree that cereal bars and bananas are a good idea.

also found that the hospital has a nice little fruit and veg shop which is much better produce and cheaper than asda and so will be shopping there in the future .................!!
xx

glendathegoodwitch Sat 27-Oct-12 19:38:18

i have been saving some of the nibbles from my graze boxes (nuts, seeds, dried fruit etc...) I have a code for a free trial box if anyone wants to try them?? i've also put 5 capri suns in the freezer and 5 in the fridge to grab, some boiled sweets and plan on raiding the marks n spencer bit of the BP garage on the way to the hospital to stock up on grapes, chocolate and a yummy ready meal for post delivery -with my last 2 i could have eaten a scabby horse instead of 2 scrappy bits of toast lol!!!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sat 27-Oct-12 21:02:43

Our hospital doesn't have a shop in the maternity bit. It's I'm the main hospital which is separate. It doesn't open very late either unfortunately I think it closes at 5pm so not much scope for buying anything.

Thanks for the freezer Capri sun tip! I've ordered some from my tesco shop so will do that when they come tomorrow smile

squeezeemout Sat 27-Oct-12 21:23:35

I have cereal bars & erm....pot noodles for DP, at his request. Last time we went in all we had was satsumas, pistachios & chocolate and as it was night time when we went in everything was shut, the delivery ward was really full & had run out bread. It was the first thing he put on the list when we started packing the bag!

FrightRunScream Sat 27-Oct-12 21:39:46

Will you have access to a kettle? Cup a Soup, Mugshots etc if so.

noblegiraffe Sat 27-Oct-12 21:56:34

Jelly babies and lucozade sport (the flat stuff) were brilliant for me post-birth. During labour I threw up everything I ate!

CuriosityColaKilledTheCat Sat 27-Oct-12 21:58:30

Lucozade Jelly babies are really good. Even the midwife had some! grin

DuckWaddle Sun 28-Oct-12 01:42:56

I took ribena cartons in. As I had an epidural they said I was at higher risk of a c-section so wasn't allowed food or fizzy drinks. So the sugar in the ribena was brilliant. Just to warn you as I noticed the seven up.

NervousAt20 Sun 28-Oct-12 01:51:59

Cereal bars were a life saver for mec

NapOfTheDamned Sun 28-Oct-12 01:52:02

I had a teaspoonful of honey during pushing stage and Justin thought I cold not go on, it gave me enough energy to cross finishing line.

Also drinking straws. Much easier than trying to slurp out of bottles.

NapOfTheDamned Sun 28-Oct-12 01:52:30

Justin? Just when.
Dur.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now