Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20w scan - what to expect?

(10 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:15:05

I have got so focussed on the whole gender discovery thing that I haven't actually thought about the serious aspects of the scan!

What are they looking for at this stage? Just general healthy growth and all body parts looking normal?

I'm due to be scanned next week and feeling very nervous today for some reason. MUCH more so than the 12w scan, which may be counter-intuitive.

oscarwilde Fri 26-Oct-12 11:57:29

Yep - they'll spend a lot of time measuring stuff. Back of the neck for Downs indicators (and that takes ages so don't stress), length of spine, limbs, stomach size, skull and other bits to see if it is all on target.
You'll see much more definable body parts than the splodgy 12 week blob which is really cool but won't get a view of the entire baby (too big now grin on the screen.
You'll get a print out (in the UK anyway) afterwards with the measurements and where they are as an average. Not sure how reliable they are as an indicator of final birth size though. Both my DC came up super large on stomach size and leg length which has been borne out by height and appetite but I don't know if a large head at 20 weeks would necessarily be something to start stressing about :-)

terilou87 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:07:51

i wouldnt be worrying as oscar said they are just measuring and checking baby is healthy, i actually enjoyed 20wk scan much more you can see the baby much more clearly and movements ect smile

panicnotanymore Fri 26-Oct-12 13:26:46

I enjoyed mine as the sonographer talked me through the measurements she was taking and explained all the steps. She took measurements, checked the structure of the brain, chambers of the heart, placenta position, number of vessels in the umbilical, presence of kidneys, stomach fluid (to show baby can swallow), amniotic volume, lips for cleft lip, feet for club foot, number of fingers and toes, nasal bone... everything really.

I also paid for a 4D scan as I couldn't resist. The pictures are amazing - I can actually see what my baby looks like, not just a grainy cross sectional splodge. She has the chin and facial structure of her paternal granny.... which is really quite strange to know!

I was terrified before mine, so that's normal. We all know the list of anomalies they are looking for so we all worry about what they might find.

emeraldgirl1 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:43:42

Thanks everyone!! wow panicnotanymore, the 4D scan sounds amazing!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was nervous beforehand, makes me feel a lot better - thank you! smile

panicnotanymore Fri 26-Oct-12 17:07:23

emerald - I've put a copy on my profile.... I won't keep it up for weeks, but take a look if you want to see what technology can do. It is pretty amazing.

TwitchyTail Fri 26-Oct-12 17:55:12

Just had mine! (Well, at 19 weeks). The ultrasonographer was lovely. She started by showing me the baby on the screen and its heartbeat (clever move to reassure worried mothers), and then immediately looked for the sex as its legs were open (we told her we wanted to know at the start). She then turned the screen away and explained they go through a long checklist including spine, brain, legs, leg bones, kidneys, bladder, stomach, lip, etc. She just got on with it while I relaxed and the husband got a good view of the screen.

There was a bit of table tilting and poking me with the probe to get good views, but nothing too uncomfortable.

I had to go away for 20 mins as the baby was in the wrong position to see something, but it was positioned perfectly when we returned so that just took a couple of minutes. At the end she reassured me everything was fine, showed me the screen again and pointed out some cute random features like its little feet grin

It's totally understandable to be nervous, as ultimately it is the "anomaly" scan and they are looking for things that might be wrong. But try not to worry too much and just focus on seeing your baby again (it was kind of like meeting the baby for a quick chat and coffee - "how's it going down in the uterus old chap" iyswim grin )

emeraldgirl1 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:07:11

Twitchy - that all sounds completely lovely (and glad everything went fine!).

Love the idea of meeting the baby for an update and a coffee!! smile

TwitchyTail Fri 26-Oct-12 18:44:37

Haha. I straightened my hair the morning of the scan, which I don't often do, and justified it to my husband as "I want to look nice for the baby" grin

Dogsmom Fri 26-Oct-12 18:53:45

I had mine on Monday and I was more nervous about this one than the first one because it's where they really look for abnormlities.

Luckily she's perfect and I enjoyed the scan more in a way because you get to see so much more, they start at the head and take so many measurements, they point out everything to you, all the organs etc, the only thing they dont do is count the fingers and toes but they count the long bones to make sure they're all in place.

The picture is much clearer too, someone earlier said they didn't get a view of the whole baby but we did, she did a full body look first then worked her way through and at the end went back to full body to take the scan photos. Maybe it depends on the babys position?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now