Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shopping!!

(18 Posts)
TashEv Thu 25-Oct-12 16:23:33

I am pregnant with my first baby and dying to start buying things but really don't want to jinx anything!!

I am only 14 weeks so its definitely too early BUT when is ok???

smile

Ladylike1 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:52:42

I started after 12 weeks. My theory is, if something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen regardless of what I do. Admittedly, I only got little things, but after I found out what I was having, well, there was no stopping me!! And that was at 16 weeks gringrin x

TashEv Thu 25-Oct-12 16:56:05

Hoorah - thats pretty much what I wanted to hear!! x

PandaWatch Thu 25-Oct-12 17:44:55

I inadvertantly wondered into the baby clothes section of John Lewis on my lunch break yesterday. It made me realise I definitely shouldn't find out what we're having as I could easily have bankrupted myself in there!

Think I'm going to order our pram at the weekend and I'm only 14+1!

Ladylike1 Thu 25-Oct-12 18:07:15

I've had my pram since about then... Lol x

Lollylau Thu 25-Oct-12 18:16:01

TashEv thank you for asking this question, im only 12 weeks and i really really want to go shopping even just for one small thing! yay smile x

Ladylike1 Thu 25-Oct-12 18:25:22

Have you joined the cow and gate and aptimal groups? They send you a free cuddly toy each, and they are super cute, this gave me the shopping the bug, then obviously the little white company, gap, next.... The list is endless!! The only thing I have done is keep all the labels on things smile
The most important thing is, have fun!! Why wait to shop when you only have such a short amount of time to really enjoy everything gringringrin

panicnotanymore Thu 25-Oct-12 18:33:56

I'm not buying anything until the last possible minute, on the basis that if something awful happens I couldn't cope with a room full of baby things. But then I've had a lot of bleeding.... If I'd had a straight forward no problem pregnancy I might think differently.

mameulah Thu 25-Oct-12 18:36:17

I'm 37 +1 and we hardly have a thing. My mum and dad have very kindly got us essentials organised and are keeping them at their home. We lost a baby this time last year and I had already bought a Christmas present from the baby for my DH, it nearly finished me off.

TashEv Fri 26-Oct-12 09:39:01

I'm so sorry to hear that Mameulah, I hope that everything goes ok for you this time round and you have an amazing Christmas x

mameulah Fri 26-Oct-12 10:23:48

Thank you TashEv, your kind words are much appreciated. I hope you have an amazing Christmas too! x

Rockchick1984 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:41:09

I bought my first thing at 7 week blush had a scare and a scan at EPAU, saw the heartbeat and got told everything was ok and risk of miscarriage was only about 4% so me and DH bought a stupid, expensive beautiful unisex newborn outfit to put away. After that, we left most things until after 20 week scan but I had wanted to wait until we knew his sex anyway smile

beckslovestimmy Fri 26-Oct-12 14:16:35

I'm now 27 weeks and due end of January. We've got a few bits such as nappies, muslins, a couple of blankets, breast pads and maternity pads. As were due after Xmas we wanted to wait and see what goes in the sale, especially for big things like buggy and cot. Also borrowed things off a friend and decorated the nursery. Were not finding out the sex so will get most clothes after the birth. Started buying after the 20 week scan as we then new all was ok with baby. It's up to you when u start buying and it can help to spread the cost especially with Christmas coming.

milkyjo Fri 26-Oct-12 16:44:57

I will start buying a few bits after 24 weeks, as, like others have said, if anything were to happen I wouldn't be able to cope with lots of newborn things! We only need a few bits as this will be DC2.

mrsbugsywugsy Fri 26-Oct-12 19:31:20

Depending on when you are due, don't forget you might be able to get some bargains if you wait till the January sales

spot the cheapskate

Rockchick1984 Sat 27-Oct-12 00:08:08

Also, don't forget the warranties on things like steriliser, pram etc start from when they are purchased so best to get them as close to the birth as you can, or put them on something like the mothercare thing where you pay things off a bit at a time. Also, don't forget babies r us and mothercare will both price match if you find a item cheaper online smile

TashEv Mon 29-Oct-12 13:37:48

Thanks Rockchick thats really good advice. x

lauraellajane Mon 29-Oct-12 18:58:42

I bought a cot at the weekend, am only about 10 weeks today!

Was such a good deal on Ebay though - lovely ash wood Obaby cot, perfect condition and only 10 mins up the road.

For the rest I'll be waiting for the sales or spreading out between Jan-May

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now