Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Blood Pressure

(5 Posts)
Kafri Thu 25-Oct-12 15:36:29

Please help mums and mums to be...

I'm 31+6 and have been for my routine midwife appointment this afternoon. She tested my urine which she was quite happy with and then checked my blood pressure which she thought was a 'touch on the high side'. She said it wasn't astronomically high, just higher than it has been up to now.
She asked me if I had had any swelling which I told her my feet had been swollen on and off since the kids started back at school in September which I put down to returning to work after 6 weeks off. I also told her that just recently - last week certainly, possibly slightly longer, my fingers have been swelling up and causing them to feel tight and pins & needles like. It doesn't seem to last long but it was on my list to mention to the MW today anyway.

Anyway, the MW has arranged for another MW to come to my house on Sat to check my BP again and has told me to ring the ward if I start to really swell, have headaches, vision disturbances etc.

Thing is, me being a worry wart and all, im now terrified. I assume the MW has done enough by re-checking my BP in a few days?? What do you guys think - tell me i'm fretting over nothing and any problems will be picked up by this repeat checking. MW said to see how check goes on sat and the MW I see will either want to check again a few days later or possibly send me to the ward for monitoring.

My appointment was at 1pm and from about 2pm i've felt, errr, wishy washy - like i'm not quite in my own head kind of thing. I realise that is hardly a scientific way of putting it but cant really think of another way to word it.

Any words of wisdom mums??

Thanks, K x

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 25-Oct-12 16:17:42

Don't panic! BP being a touch on the high side could be a one-off and swelling is very common in the third trimester. It's good that they're monitoring you.

leobear Thu 25-Oct-12 20:56:12

Mine was raised today on one of the electronic machines. Am 32 + 2, first reading was 130/90, second reading literally a minute later was 124/84! I don't trust their machines! If yours was clearly a problem, it would be obvious from the reading - just keep an eye out for symptoms as advised, and try not to worry as that'll just raise it anyway!

Ghoulelocks Thu 25-Oct-12 21:24:51

I really don't trust the electronic machines if she is using on. My bp over each pregnancy has ranged from 90/60 to 100/65 throughout when manually checked, but for those machines I've had some mad readings. I may be talking nonsense but I have slim upper arms and I always wonder if that fact the cuff seems rather large and wrapped around a few times affects the readings.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 25-Oct-12 22:15:08

Manual is much more sensitive I agree. Tis a skill to do a manual reading proud nurse who can do them!
I should think she's just keeping an eye on you because naturally blood or pressure is lower in pregnancy - you're sharing! - and rechecking it at home will give an alternative reading. High BP on its own is unlikely to mean anything hence why she asked about other symptoms. Do try to relax though or it'll still be high when she rechecks it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now