Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which essential oils are safe in pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
BelinaTheChicken Thu 25-Oct-12 13:54:42

I'm doing home made presents this year, and wanted to make a pampering set for my friend. She will be 6 months pregnant at Christmas, so what would be the best essential oil to use in pregnancy?

And if you were pregnant would you appreciate this gift? I'm doing flavoured vodkas for a lot of my friends, but think that would be a bit mean grin

caramelgirl Thu 25-Oct-12 18:39:28

Not sure where you could look for official guidance but my acupuncture lady did me a great massage last night with ylang ylang, mandarin and lavender. I smelt really nice!! Hope someone with more knowledge comes along soon!

I don't think any state they are safe in pregnancy due to the fact they can't be tested on pregnant women.

I use lavender and tea tree in my bath though and judging by the current somersaulting inside my stomach it hasn't harmed my 32 wk bump.

squidgeberry Thu 25-Oct-12 18:54:21

Definitely avoid rose or clary sage as these are meant to bring on labour - not that it worked when I was overdue!

madamecake Thu 25-Oct-12 20:41:08

You could have a look at some of the bath and body stuff aimed at pregnant women to see what oils or fragrances they use?
As others have also said, I too used lavender with no problems.

BelinaTheChicken Thu 25-Oct-12 22:04:16

Think I'll stick with lavender as a few shop made pregnancy things use it, so it should be fine. Thanks

Jergens Thu 25-Oct-12 23:21:42

Neal's yard does oils for pregnant women. Can't remember what's in it but you could try googling.

Hippolyta20 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:21:32

I was just wondering about this too.

Have a look at this website (not sure how to link but guess you can copy and paste into the search bar).

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/essentialoilsexpert/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now