Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Panic attacks

(3 Posts)
ginny84 Thu 25-Oct-12 10:48:59

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any panic attacks in pregnancy?

I'm currently 28 weeks and have had three in the last two months. The first of which was after I had slipped and fell. The second two were both work related (both before busy stressful days). I'm a bit concerned as I haven't had them before and I'm not normally a person who gets to anxious or stressed. I also have a heart murmur so were worried the two were connected.

I mentioned it to my midwife at my last appointment, but she just said 'oh right, have you' and that was all. I see a consultant for the heart murmur so will mention it when I next see her, but that is not for a month.

Last couple of nights I've also had dreams which have involved work and having panic attacks at work (I'm a teacher and on half term at the min so not feeling particularly taxed work wise this week). I've woken up feeling a bit shook up and short of breath after having these dreams.

Not sure whether this extra anxiety is normal or not?

Binkybix Thu 25-Oct-12 11:08:03

Hi

I have felt more panicky, although I've not had a panic attack as such. I do have a bit of a history with this sort of thing in the past though. I'm surprised that the midwife was not that helpful on this - maybe try discussing in more detail at your next appointment? Not sure if it's a common thing or not. Ive also had more trouble sleeping because of panic dreams.

I know these things are horrible and it's very difficult to think straight when in the middle of them. In the past I've found it helpful to have a bit of a calming mantra along the lines off 'I've felt like his before. Nothing bad happened and it passed, and it will pass again.'

I hope this is just a phase for you. They won't hurt you, but they are v. unpleasant.

CityDweller Thu 25-Oct-12 13:54:11

Another trick with panic attacks is to go with them, rather than trying to quash the panic. Say to yourself: ok, come on heart, how fast can you beat... Etc (depending on how yours affect you). I find they pass more quickly this way and it stops you from panicking about the panic attack, iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now