Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

does cola help morning sickness?

(64 Posts)
spinach Tue 28-Mar-06 21:29:30

someone mentioned that it does...really? any tructh in that before i tip yet another unhealthy product down my neck in an attempt to alleviate this awful sickness. tia. xx

SleepySuzy Tue 28-Mar-06 21:30:53

Ginger!

I used to eat chocolate coated ginger from Thorntons....yum!

Flossam Tue 28-Mar-06 21:31:59

I haven't heard that one before. There was supposed to be some kind of ingrediant (cocaine i THink!!) which settled the tummy in coke many years ago. Not sure if it is still the case. Drinking coke with morning sickness, well, I couldn't think of anything worse!

NatalieJane Tue 28-Mar-06 21:33:45

Spinach I have heard it helps with heart burn, not to sure about sickness, I can't see how it would make you feel any better, but in your situation I think I would give anything a whirl!

scarymamma Tue 28-Mar-06 21:34:24

Don't know about morning sickness, but flat cola is great for hangover sickness.
How are you with fizzy drinks?
I had terrible morning sickness and tbh, nothing worked. Tried ginger, roiboos tea and all sorts and still up chucked constantly 'til 20wks! Sorry! Hope someone else has a better remedy!

spinach Tue 28-Mar-06 21:34:31

well thats what i thought flossam, which is why i aint trying it till someone tells me its worth a go... not that i dont like cola, but it would turn my stomach at the mo.

scarymamma Tue 28-Mar-06 21:34:35

Don't know about morning sickness, but flat cola is great for hangover sickness.
I had terrible morning sickness and tbh, nothing worked. Tried ginger, roiboos tea and all sorts and still up chucked constantly 'til 20wks! Sorry! Hope someone else has a better remedy!

scarymamma Tue 28-Mar-06 21:34:59

Karmamother Tue 28-Mar-06 21:36:22

Sorry to sound like Dr Gillian McKeith here but caffeine inhibits the absorption of iron from your diet. Not the best thing whilst PG, I'd say. Have you tried ginger & lemon herbal tea? I thought it was quite good. Must add here that I'm not really a health food weirdo. My 2 best friends, Ben & Jerry will back me up.

Karmamother Tue 28-Mar-06 21:36:25

Sorry to sound like Dr Gillian McKeith here but caffeine inhibits the absorption of iron from your diet. Not the best thing whilst PG, I'd say. Have you tried ginger & lemon herbal tea? I thought it was quite good. Must add here that I'm not really a health food weirdo. My 2 best friends, Ben & Jerry will back me up.

Karmamother Tue 28-Mar-06 21:36:42

Sorr to sound like Dr Gillian McKeith here but caffeine inhibits the absorption of iron from your diet. Not the best thing whilst PG, I'd say. Have you tried ginger & lemon herbal tea? I thought it was quite good. Must add here that I'm not really a health food weirdo. My 2 best friends, Ben & Jerry will back me up.

Karmamother Tue 28-Mar-06 21:37:49

we all seem to be suffering from repetitve posting syndrome.

spinach Tue 28-Mar-06 21:38:41

i could probably manage flat coke... might try that. if anyone has any other suggestions, do post them. i've tried ginger, travel bands, eating little and often, bla bla bla, even taking antiematics from doctor... I'm never actualy sick, just feel revoltingly sick all day long and really cant stomach much food.

tortoiseshell Tue 28-Mar-06 21:39:29

DIet coke, peanut butter on toast and ice cold melon were about the only things that helped with me. Also icy cold water.

Hope you feel better soon - it will pass! Honestly!

Pinotmum Tue 28-Mar-06 21:40:07

When I was pregnant in 2002 I drank Tesco's organic cola and it did the trick. It tasted different to the usual coca cola. However I don't know if they still do it as last time I looked they didn't have it on the shelf.

sweetheart Tue 28-Mar-06 21:43:40

Morning sickness is usually stimulated by an excess saliva in your mouth. To combat it you should eat/drink anything that soaks up the excess saliva such as:-

salt and vinegar crisps (or anything salty)
Cloudy still lemonade
ginger biscuits
rich tea biscuits
dry toast

I would imagine that the amount of sugar in coke would stimulate more saliva rather tha reduce it. I certainly wouldn't have been able to drink it during morning sickness.

rickman Tue 28-Mar-06 21:44:57

Message withdrawn

spinach Tue 28-Mar-06 21:47:19

the only salty thing i fancy is peanuts.. not supposed to have them i guess.

Nonyummymummy Tue 28-Mar-06 22:25:33

Sprite did the trick for me - always carried a bottle especially for the dreaded Underground journey. Also found that eating something around 10am worked for some reason - only Sprite until then! Hope you feel better soon.

sweetheart Tue 28-Mar-06 22:31:43

The peanut thing is an old wives tale. It's fine to eat peanuts unless you have a family history of peanut allergy.

Nbg Tue 28-Mar-06 22:35:51

I could never stomach any drinks apart from water and as for food the only thing that worked was fruit especially oranges/tangerines etc.
Rich tea biscuits was another good one.

snowleopard Tue 28-Mar-06 22:37:48

Jaffa cakes were the best cure for me - used to eat them all day long (and all night)

eidsvold Wed 29-Mar-06 06:51:40

canada dry giner ale helped me - somewhat... not much but seem to settle my stomach a little.

littlemisspiggy Wed 29-Mar-06 15:07:02

yeah anything ice cold and fizzy.

zephyrcat Wed 29-Mar-06 15:21:45

Orange lucozade did the trick for me and I'm now hopelessly addicted to the stuff!!! Hopefully once the baby is born the addiction will go away!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now