Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

18 weeks, first baby, feeling no movements yet??

(11 Posts)
NewMrsH Thu 25-Oct-12 07:36:26

Hello,

I'm 18 weeks with my first baby and was feeling little flutters for about a week or so but for the past 2 days nothing!?! Got a week till my scan and I'm so worried.
Anyone else had hardly any movement and when did you felt your baby move??

Thanks.

Xxx

MrsEddChina Thu 25-Oct-12 07:48:40

Hi I'm 20 weeks today and can't say for certain that I have felt mine move! If I have, it's been so light I am not sure if it was really there iykwim. I know mines alive and kicking as we had an improptu scan on Tuesday when I saw the consultant. I think I must have a lazy baby. My belly had been prodded and then had the scanner pushed into it and the little sod was just laid there with its hands by its head. I wasn't sure it was alive till the dr zoomed in on it's heartbeat!

However saying that laid in bed last night and I felt what was like 2 muscle twitches low down in my belly which made me wonder if the baby had just kicked me. But again I'm not sure. First baby for me too so I have no idea what to expect!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 25-Oct-12 07:58:05

It's still early! Don't panic - DC1 I felt nothing until a strong kick at 22weeks, DC2 flutterings from 16weeks then nothing at all between 20-21weeks then finally a strong kick.

Both DC now in their beds sleeping soundly grin

Kelerina Thu 25-Oct-12 08:21:23

I could've posted the exact same things 4 weeks ago. I am 22 weeks, first pregnancy and was worried that I hadn't been feeling much, and anything I did feel I couldn't be SURE was baby.

I had my 20 week scan and have an anterior placenta which acts as a bit if a buffer between me and baby so that's why I wasn't feeling much.

I have now felt some pretty strong movements including a couple of kicks, it's still really sporadic, some days I feel loads and other days nothing much, I think baby still has so much room to hide and probably has busy days and more restful days......

So what i'm saying is try and be patient (not that I was), it will happen soon!!!

panicnotanymore Thu 25-Oct-12 10:02:28

I didn't feel anything until about 20 weeks, and at 22 weeks it still varies. Some days she kicks all the time, other days virtually nothing. The consultant explained that there is still a lot of room in there so baby can be kicking around and doing back flips, but unless he/she touches the sides of the uterus you won't feel anything.

Weenugget Thu 25-Oct-12 11:20:34

Me too!! 17 + 5 and haven't felt anything yet. I'm
getting so impatient as ppl keep saying " oooo you'll be starting to feel it moving around"

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 11:33:20

It's still early so try not to worry - my obstetrician told me 20 weeks was the more usual starting point for a first baby, and it all depends on various variables eg placenta location. Also if you are up and about you might not notice it - I only noticed the early flutters when I was lying on my side in the evenings

Ameliac28 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:11:54

Every pregnancy is different and they say you don't feel as much with your first as you don't really know what your feeling for, I'm 19 weeks today and my best friend is 2 days in front of me, I've had some movements and what I believe was a kick last night but she has hardly had any movement, you've probably just got a lazy baby on your hands smile I got myself a doppler just to give me some reasurrance whenever I wasn't to sure, maybe get yourself one of those to help you feel better?

minipie Thu 25-Oct-12 15:49:19

Do you know where your placenta is? Have a look at your 12 week scan notes as they often say.

My placenta is anterior (on the front wall) and I felt almost nothing till about 22 weeks. Apparently this is quite normal.

Dogsmom Thu 25-Oct-12 15:57:45

I'm on my first too (20+5) and felt her move for the first time in week 17 but they were very mild, it's only been the last 10 days or so that they've felt stronger and more frequent and I also get whole days when I feel nothing, my placenta is at the back so I assume on the quiet days she has turned and is facing the other way.

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 16:08:43

newmrsH you might find other people who've had more than one child saying things like "ooh you must be feeling movement by now!". That's what happened to me and got me worried which is why i asked the obstetrician, but the women who'd said things had simply forgotten that it feels different for a first baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now