Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose tolerance test

(8 Posts)
18wksplus Thu 25-Oct-12 00:42:32

I've recently moved to the US and my OB here has mentioned my having to take a glucose tolerance test (sugary drink followed by blood tests). This is #2, no complications at all with #1, and all pee tests so far have been totally normal.

So am I being reasonable in refusing it and just asking them to monitor my urine like they do in the UK? I really see no point in having yet more tests and interventions for something I don't think I have any risk at all of having...

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 01:31:14

Monitoring urine is an inadequate indicator of gestational diabetes. for example my urine has been absolutely clear of glucose throughout my pregnancy but I've recently been diagnosed with GD. There is another lady on here who has had glucose in her urine but does not have gestational diabetes. As to whether or not you're at risk of it: there are others here who have none of the classic risk factors but do have GD. The test itself really isn't that bad. Given the possible consequences for the baby of not managing glucose if you do have GD, if your doctor has recommended it for you, why not just do it?

NatashaBee Thu 25-Oct-12 01:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 01:47:32

It's not really much of an intervention - just blood tests and the drink. I have awful veins so was dreading having to do 3 lots of blood in a morning but I had the same nurse each time so she got used to me. Not sure when they do routine blood tests in the US but my GTT was at 28 weeks which coincided with routine blood tests so I would have had to have blood drawn around that time anyway.

18wksplus Thu 25-Oct-12 02:46:29

Ok. General consensus seems to be that I should do it. Guess I'm just fed up of all the extra tests and checks I feel are carried out over here in comparison to what happened in the UK and I just want to cut back as much as possible (I'm also a massive sceptic and am just not sure if the tests are done simply to boost profits...).

Hmm.

Secondsop Thu 25-Oct-12 08:40:21

It might be that the incidence of gestational diabetes is higher in the US (eg maybe more mothers exhibit the relevant risk factors to begin with) so perhaps it's more routinely tested for than in the UK? That's not all bad, though - there was a lady here who had symptoms of extreme tiredness and thirst and wanted the test but had to struggle to get herself tested.

Good luck - I hope you get the all-clear as GD really is a nuisance!

Isandri Thu 25-Oct-12 12:07:02

I'm pregnant in Denmark and a glucose tolerance test is standard here. If they think you have risk indicators for diabetes you have to do two even if you feel ok. I recommend taking a book and a savoury snack for afterwards.

18wksplus Thu 25-Oct-12 12:56:29

Good point Seconds.

Not going to be fun doing it with a toddler in tow but guess I need to pick my battles about what to refuse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now