Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low amniotic fluid - some questions

(14 Posts)
MoragG Wed 24-Oct-12 21:19:34

Had this with DD1 and was induced at 39 weeks. It wasn't picked up until quite late on, as at this point they were not doing 20 week scans in my area. With DD2 (currently 34 + 5) I am having fairly regular scans becasue of low fluid levels last time. Fluid level at 32 weeks was a bit over 4, so within normal range but on the low side. Next scan is on Monday. For some reason I am starting to wonder if I will have the same issue with DD2. So, my questions:

* Has anyone had low amniotic fluid in more than one pregnancy?
* If it was picked up quite early were you induced, and if so at how many weeks?
* If they did decide to induce me at say 37 weeks are they more likely to do a c section?
* Does anyone know if there are any physical symptoms of having low amniotic fluid? Last time I got to the stage where my bump felt like it was going to burst - as if there was no room any more, but I have never been able to establish if this was in any way related to the low fluid issue. I have just started feeling like this again, possibly hence my concerns...

Many thanks if anyone can help!

whistlestopcafe Wed 24-Oct-12 21:22:54

I had low amniotic fluid in my first pregnancy but not my second.

They were planning on giving me a csection at 38 weeks but this was brought forward to 37 weeks as I picked up an infection.

The only symptom I had was visible (albeit very small) leakage.

Smallgreenone Thu 25-Oct-12 06:58:10

I had a leak too. Scans every week to check growth and umbilical cord. Planned to induce at 38 weeks but bought forward as went in one day and the ctg from baby was not good. Induction failed so had a section. Consultant preferred this as there are risks to labour when there is low amniotic fluid- one being cord compression as no fluid to cushion it when uterus contracts, the other is that baby gets tired quickly as no water for him to float about in. He also said for future pregnancies there was no increased risk of it happening again.
Hope you have a healthy babba in your arms soon.

blackcurrants Fri 26-Oct-12 21:25:22

I went in for a regulation 'you're overdue!' scan at 40+4 and they induced me within the hour (literally, I was walked from the scan place to the labour ward) because DS was floating in about 4cc of fluid.

Long slow induction but they let me go on and on, he was born with the cord around his neck but no problems- just a momentary "ooops" and then sorted, as I pushed the rest of him out.

The only thing particular about that labour really was the fact that my waters never 'broke' as such - no rushing fluid, never felt anything. One very strong contraction I felt a sliiight dampness (like having a period, really) and saw some blood on the sheet- and that was it. So I've no idea what it's like when your waters break!

I keep mentioning it at scans and things this pregnancy, but not hearing anyone seem even remotely worried. Good luck smile

tinyshinyanddon Fri 26-Oct-12 21:32:21

I was told I had low amniotic fluid with DC2 and had to fight not to be induced. Instead I went home and drank lots of water, went back the next day and staff were grumpy but conceded the volume had increased. Still wanted to induce and again I refused. Measuring amniotic fluid levels by ultrasound is notoriously inaccurate. As long as baby was moving well I was happy to be left alone. Spontaneous delivery at 41w. No problems, awesome birth.

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 26-Oct-12 21:41:12

MW decided I was small for dates sent me for a scan. They found low fluid levels and loads of monitoring, scans, worry, fuss followed.
DD1 decided to be born naturally, on the day she was due to be induced.

I was just as small with DD2. Totally different county, laid back (much better MWs) didn't panic. No fuss no late scans.

DD1 was 6lb 2.5oz, 39+1
DD2 was 6lb 6.5oz, 39+4

Your guess is as good as mine as to what DD2's fluid levels were and wether any of the fuss over DD1 was worth it?

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 26-Oct-12 21:46:45

DD2 was a beautiful relaxed HB.

I just think I make little babies who know when to be born.

DD1 is 14 and 5'6" ie 2" taller than me and a grown up size 12. So not small now.

DD2 is smaller and much slighter than her sister at 11, but she's yet to do her teenage growth spurt.

Long term I don't think either will be small.

MoragG Sat 27-Oct-12 10:35:28

Thanks for all the replies. We already know DD2 will be small too (currently around 10th centile, but they are not worried as she is tracking this and have decided I just have small babies). But it was the fluid levels that lead to the induction last time, and given the relatively low measurement at the last scan with DD2 (am aware this can be inaccurate) I do wonder if it will have dropped again. Does drinking lots of water really make any difference? I was certainly never advised to do this last time.

Oh well, will see what they say at the next scan on Monday.

Cadmum Sat 27-Oct-12 10:46:07

I will try to find a link to a useful site but my understanding is that regular, high protein snacks can increase amniotic fluid.

Cadmum Sat 27-Oct-12 10:56:59

An interesting article here:
http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=5294

Of course, I am not a medical professional nor am I familiar with your particular case... I have grown increasingly sceptical about diagnoses that lead to inductions purely because they happen to often. That in no way suggests that I believe that ALL are unnecessary or avoidable.

Cadmum Sat 27-Oct-12 10:57:04

An interesting article here:
http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=5294

Of course, I am not a medical professional nor am I familiar with your particular case... I have grown increasingly sceptical about diagnoses that lead to inductions purely because they happen to often. That in no way suggests that I believe that ALL are unnecessary or avoidable.

MoragG Sat 27-Oct-12 12:25:59

This is a very interesting article - thanks Cadmdum!

Cadmum Sat 27-Oct-12 14:53:54

You are welcome. I wish I could find the article about high protein snacks being an effective method of 'reversing' oligohydramnios...

NAR4 Sat 27-Oct-12 16:17:06

I had low levels of amniotic fluid for my first 3 pregnancies, but no 4 and this one seem fine. Drinking plenty can help maintain the levels, but you have to keep drinking or they revert to low levels again. Nobody seemed very bothered about it, although no 2 was induced rather suddenly because of it (like you, they didn't let me go home after scan). No extra checks with further pregnancies though, as a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now