Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Time off work for morning sickness - was it worth it?

(7 Posts)
VomitingVeronica Wed 24-Oct-12 20:41:39

Hi,

I am on the verge of heading to the GPs to ask to be signed off but am really scared of what my work will think. No one has been pregnant in the 2 years I have been there so I have no idea how sympathetic they will be to time off (they have been really nice about it all so far though but I don't know how far I can push it). Obviously they have seen me being nauseous all day and had the joy of witnessing me throwing up more than once. It was manageable but I just keep getting worse and am really struggling, I'm 7 weeks now and it has been going since 4 weeks. I can't work from home.

If you were signed off for morning sickness was it worth it? Also how long were you signed off for?

Thanks

sleepingsatellite Wed 24-Oct-12 20:57:06

12 weeks with DS1 and 8 weeks with DS2, definately worth it, HG is awful and I could only keep things down for a little while if I didn't move! If I moved I would throw up, reckon it kept me out of hospital. Work were fairly sympathetic first time round and not so much the second time, not that anything was said but in an office full of women, you can tell!! I can understand that it would be annoying for an employee/co/worker to be off for such a long time, but I was as useful as a chocolate teapot (possibly less!).

Just rest, rest, rest!

nannyl Wed 24-Oct-12 21:06:48

i was signed off at about 6 weeks and never went back

a week after being signed off i was in hospital with dehydration.

yes it was worth it.... i spend nearly 3 months in bed feeling awful, and quite frankly could not have worked.

I too had HG. I hope you feel better soon, in the meantime get on the hyperemisis support thread

AmayaBuzzbee Wed 24-Oct-12 21:33:52

Got signed off for a week at 11wks when morning sickness peaked. It was definitely worth it. I was unable to work and bed rest really helped. Work was very nice about it.

MrsBungleBear Wed 24-Oct-12 21:36:00

I was signed off for about 6 months first time and 4 months the second time. Lots of hospitalisations for the HG.

No way I could have worked. Apart from that I had an excellent sickness record and no-one at work was anything other than sympathetic.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dogsmom Wed 24-Oct-12 21:46:52

I'm self employed and work alone so can't have time off, it was horrible feeling so rubbish and having to have a bucket on standby but I found I felt much worse at weekends and when I wasn't working.

Keeping busy took my mind of it a bit and I felt 90% rubbish as opposed to 100% rubbish.

sausagesandwich34 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:53:12

I had 8 weeks off with HG, then was back at work 4 weeks and signed off with SPD, went back when DD was 5 months -they were understanding about the morning sickness (after I collapsed at work and they called an ambulance) but less so about the SPD -'everyone gets aches and pains in pregnancy' apparently! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now