Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hand, Foot and Mouth

(5 Posts)
plonko Wed 24-Oct-12 18:29:52

I've just had a message from a friend to say her four year old may have hand, foot and mouth. I was at their house two days ago, and though she was under the weather then I was still playing with her a bit, tickling her and gave her a cuddle.

I'm 22 weeks pregnant, and wondering if anyone knows if this carries any kind of risk to my baby? (praying Mummy2Benji hasn't gone into labour and can answer my questions smile )

I may be overreacting, but can't seem to access the NHS website right now to find out more about this virus.

Rosduk Wed 24-Oct-12 18:39:36

I had hand foot and mouth at the beginning of my pregnancy - I was told it wouldn't affect the baby unless you contract it around your due date as then it can pass to the baby. Didn't believe the GP so went to the hospital and they still confirmed it would be fine!

Apparently most adults are immune so hopefully you will be ok- if you do get It (which is unlikely) for me it started with a fever so just make sure you are hydrated, it doesn't last long then you just get blisters!

plonko Wed 24-Oct-12 18:44:24

Thanks Rosduk! I thought it couldn't be too bad seeing as I'd never actually heard of it until I got the text from my friend, but you know how expectant mums like to panic grin

My main worry is that I'm due back to work tomorrow after having been signed off for a week by my GP, so I really don't want anything else to make me feel like crap!

Smallgreenone Wed 24-Oct-12 18:59:31

I had it as well at about 22 weeks. It can cross the placenta but most likely will have no effect on baby unless near your due date.

Rosduk Wed 24-Oct-12 19:00:51

No probs. obviously if you are worried about anything get it checked out! Hopefully you won't get it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now