Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

14+1 and stabbing pains Please help

(12 Posts)
itsmyfirsteek Wed 24-Oct-12 17:34:04

I have stabbing pains in the lower right side of my tummy. I felt a kind of pop earlier and its been really painful ever since. I've had no bleeding but I really don't know what to do

debbie1412 Wed 24-Oct-12 17:53:46

Try not to panic, there's so much going on inside you especially being your first it can be very sore. I thought my 1st was ectopic because it was so stabby. You've probably just had abit of a growth spurt and it's left you feeling tender. Try a warm bath and please don't worry.

Sastra Wed 24-Oct-12 17:57:52

Sounds like your round ligament stretching! It's really a pain, but perfectly normal. Be careful not to change positions too quickly. My midwife told me that as a rule, sharp pains are less of a concern than dull ones.

Look up round ligament pain to see if describes what you're feeling.

itsmyfirsteek Thu 25-Oct-12 00:17:26

Its getting so much worse and has moved to my lower tummy, just above the pubic bone. Feels like period pain now and is constant, what should I do does this change the advice above?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 25-Oct-12 00:26:15

Well... and Im not a GP here... but when I was PG and had bleeding, the dr told me there was nothing to do until I got pain as well, or the bleeding got worse. I think if you are really worried that you should go to OOH doctor or A&E. It will probably just be nothing but they will have a look and put your mind at rest.

TwinkleReturns Thu 25-Oct-12 00:26:44

Is it cramping pain or just stabby still?

Tbh this time and last I had what felt like cramping pain but as there was no bleeding and I was beyond that 12wk boundary I was pretty confident it was still round ligament pain.

It could also be wind esp if you felt a popping earlier - as the uterus expands at this sort of time it begins putting pressure on all the organs down there so can cause a lot of really painful wind type pains.

Pregnancy is littered with pains and the rule generally is this: have you had any bleeding? Is this pain bad enough to require pain relief or is it persistent and unrelenting (going on for a whole night without letting up) - if yes to the first one then obv ring your mw straight away and if yes to the second then again talk to your mw.
If no to both of those then chances are its going to be "normal" pregnancy pain.

I always hate the early stages and find its a relief once you can feel movements as regardless of pains you know baby is ok.

try not to worry. Get some rest, keep your fluids up and Im sure by morning the pain will have eased.

TwinkleReturns Thu 25-Oct-12 00:30:40

Echo what saggy said about advice - if you go in with pain and no bleeding they will tell you its probably "normal" pains if you havent had bleeding and there's very little they will do esp as I imagine you had a 12 week scan which was all ok? They wont necessarily do another scan unless there are more serious concerns and listening for the heartbeat can be hard at 14wks.

unless you are really in a lot of pain I would just try and get some rest.

itsmyfirsteek Thu 25-Oct-12 00:36:29

Thanks for the speedy replies ladies, its such a worry and I just really wasn't sure what to do. I'm tucked up in bed now and I'll see how I am in the morning. Thanks againxx

TwinkleReturns Thu 25-Oct-12 00:42:58

I know, Im dreadful for worrying! Have a lovely restful sleep x

itsmyfirsteek Thu 25-Oct-12 07:37:11

Morning ladies, I've had a good sleep and I'm feeling loads better today. Thanks for the support xxx

Sastra Thu 25-Oct-12 08:34:34

Poor thing :-( worrying, though natural can make things worse! Generally if the pain gets worse or changes from sharp to something else, I'd give the MW a call for advice. Hope today continues to be better for you. Keep us posted.

TwinkleReturns Thu 25-Oct-12 11:00:29

Glad you're feeling better this AM smile

I on the other hand, feel like death as once again I got sucked into MN until stupid o'clock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now