Talk

Advanced search

anyone else had low lying placenta!!???

(15 Posts)
kirdy Tue 23-Oct-12 15:40:13

Well at my 20 week scan I was told my placenta was low lying,that the lower edge was just covering the is also my placenta is posterior. Just had my 32 week scan and placenta has still not moved at all! Anyone else had this and did yours move up or stay low? Got another scan booked for 36 weeks but sonographer didn't look very optimistic about it moving but she said there is still a chance it could

Rachel130690 Tue 23-Oct-12 15:41:55

Not me but my auntie had this with her last pregnancy. It moved between 34-36 weeks. Fingers crossed for you

BloodRedAlienReflux Tue 23-Oct-12 15:44:19

Yes, i had this, exactly the same, because it was 3cm or something (we are talking 5 years ago with my DS1) it was a grey area?! But when i went into labour they ummed and erred and bloody ummed 4 ages, til i was having contractions, and STILL didn't know what they were going to do they finally whipped me in for a c-section.
I wouldn't have minded either way, it was the not knowing til it was all happening, v. scary, so pin them down at this next scan, would you like a vaginal birth?

kirdy Tue 23-Oct-12 15:57:33

I did want a home birth! But don't think that's going to happen now. I don't mind if i have to have a c section its just the staying in hospital and already have two other children who are 6 and 4 so won't really have time to rest! Its just the waiting i hate and not knowing if it will move or not. I thought it would of at least moved a little but no which makes me think it ain't going to move now

BloodRedAlienReflux Tue 23-Oct-12 17:03:05

God i know, the waiting, you never know though?!natural would be sooo much better if you already have two. And a home birth would still be possible if it moves right?
Fingers crossed the bloody thing moves for you grin

Polipencoch Wed 24-Oct-12 20:16:18

I have a proper low one now - 36 weeks and have been kept in hospital for the last fortnight (first pregnancy, luckily no DCs at home). Another scan next week to check if its moved but generally the plan (when I see the consultant which is not often) seems to be a C/S at 38 weeks. Only another couple of weeks to wait.

I was planning on a home birth if I could (though I realised this isn't that common with first pregnancies) but have come round to the idea - just want to have it now so I can go home! but also want baby to be nicely cooked (e.g. not to come out right now) so I can go home ASAP once it does come!

kirdy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:23:29

Sorry to hear you can't have your homebirth! Must of been so worried especially with it being your first baby! How come you gave to stay in hospital then? Have you had any bleeding? I'm just fed up now seems like this pregnancy is dragging so much!!! Had a bleed at 6 weeks was told I would lose baby as it turned out to be a big blood clot in womb! That healed itself but took till 16 weeks! Now low lying placenta which they don't think will move and had really bad sickness the whole pregnancy also got spd and carpal tunnel! Just want her to hurry up and get here now

Polipencoch Thu 25-Oct-12 18:54:06

To be honest I do wonder about the essential nature of my hospital stay as the more I read on the internet the more it seems some people get to stay at home in a similar situation. However, I've also read that people who are allowed home need to have someone with them 24hrs a day, which would be completely impractical for me. So in some ways its better. The consultant didn't seem to have any doubts about it - they clearly think there is a significant risk of severe bleeding and I have been told they are keeping my blood type in the fridge and could whip baby out in 15 minutes if necessary... which makes me think they are worried about something serious and so to be honest I'm just being good and doing what I'm told.

Sounds like you are having tough times with spd and carpal tunnel and sickness... the ironic thing is that considering I'm 36 weeks I'm feeling pretty good (just a bit bigger and awkward about various things like turning over in bed). Fingers crossed for our scans... mine next week now I think.

lolajane2009 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:51:58

mine was partially blocking at 20 and 32 but had moved by 34 so it is possible.

heliotrope Fri 26-Oct-12 13:13:58

I was told same at 23 week scan (anterior, just over cervix, Grade 1 PP) - will find out in 2 weeks or so, when I'm 32 weeks, if it's moved. Its a waiting game - I'm optimistic as I think I read that most cases that 'just cover' cervix do move in time, so it is very annoying for you that yours hasn't, but still hope!
Also hoping for home birth, with 2 older children 5 and 2. I was thinking that if it has to be a c-section, at least it would be planned for rather than last minute - hadn't heard of umming and erring like BloodRedAlien describes - I would not be good with that!
Hoping it comes good for you still, and good luck to you to Polipen!

alannabanana Fri 26-Oct-12 16:52:44

am watching with interest as also have low placenta and am 24 wks - have to wait til scan at 34 wks to see if its moved! also was hoping for home birth as have 2 older ds's and cant bear the thought of recovery from c-section while dealing with their needs too. anyone know of anything one can 'do' to nudge the placenta into higher position?? - exercises, handstands etc?!

HappyJoyful Fri 26-Oct-12 16:59:32

I had one and it finally did shift. At 34 weeks it was still low lying and the consultant said I would have have to have a c-section, however, I didn't want a planned c-section and had been told by my cousin (who had same issue) that I could just say I want to wait and keep being scanned.
I did have a bit of a challenge convincing them that I was prepared to come for a scan every week to see if it was going to shift and that I would prefer this to the option of a planned c-section.
By 38 weeks it had shifted enough to be allowed to go ahead with birth plan for vaginal birth. Therefore my advice would be to insist on scanning every week. Also from memory the internal scan (I think) gives a more accurate picture of whether it is clear and by how much from the cervix.
Good luck.

alannabanana Fri 26-Oct-12 17:48:40

happyjoyful - did you have home birth or was this completely out of the question in their minds?

blueblizz Fri 26-Oct-12 18:02:28

Hi there, with dc1 I had placenta praevia stage 4 (whole cervix was covered with placenta.) It was found at 20wk scan and was told it might move up but it didn't. I was told that a low lying placenta is quite common. I felt fine throughout my pregnancy even worked 5 half days a week til 3 days before went into hospital!! My advice is listen to drs. It is the risk of bleeding, you have very little time to get to hospital. I went in for complete bed rest 2wks before c-section and it took me 1wk in hospital to recover as had big blood loss. I was'nt overly concerned but I did have a big blood loss in hospital before op and it was scary. Everyone looked after me and I'm sure they will you too. Take great care and hope it moves up a bit!!!

YokoUhOh Fri 26-Oct-12 18:06:18

Yes, mine was anterior low at 20 weeks. It moved up as my pregnancy progressed and is currently anterior high. It moves in 90% of cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now