Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Insomnia - 29 weeks and desperate for sleep

(7 Posts)
PineapplePol Tue 23-Oct-12 14:02:43

Hi! Does anyone have any tips on getting a good nights sleep? I am regularly waking up between 3-4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Got the usual problems of heartburn and pelvic pain, and forever needing the loo but even when these under control I am still wide awake. I can't really blame it on being uncomfortable or baby wriggling about. Am usually so exhausted that in bed by 8.30pm latest and usually have no problem getting to sleep. By 3.30am I've had 7 hours sleep. Is this why I'm wide awake? It's really starting to get to me now and affecting ability to function during day. I want to go to bed earlier and earlier and then wake earlier too. Aargh! I Just want to sleep all night. Has anyone else had this problem? What helped? Is there any point seeing the Dr?

octanegirl Tue 23-Oct-12 14:27:03

Me too!!! So annoying. I would definitely try to keep normal patterns - don't go to bed at 8.30. Other than that, I don't have any advice, sorry....
ps 7 hours actually is quite good!

xmasevebundle Tue 23-Oct-12 15:16:53

I had this for a few weeks until i did a little routine, i still wake in the night for the loo and when i kick the blanket off and wake up freezing cold!

Try milk before bed, dont eat before go bed, 1-2 hours before you go to sleep. Id try go to bed 9-10, think you might be going sleep way to early and wake up in the middle of the night.

I eat about 6ish, go bed at 9-10.30 sometimes i read or have a bath. Then i am asleep by 11pm, I sleep for at least 9-10hours blush

Heartburn has stopped completely since this, i had it really bad, acid more than heartburn sad

PickleSarnie Tue 23-Oct-12 19:22:37

Please don't suffer with heartburn. I had horrendous heartburn second time around. I almost threw up everytime I bent down. Went to doctors. Got omeprazole. Utterly miraculous. No more heartburn.

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Oct-12 20:00:44

Even though I'm ready to go to bed by 8:30, I don't let myself go until at least ten. Otherwise, like you, I wake and can't get back to sleep. The other night I fell asleep at 8, woke at half ten and couldn't get back to sleep till 3am! I knew it was a mistake when I did it but really couldn't help myself.

Runningblue Tue 23-Oct-12 21:17:49

If you can sleep in a bed solo, it can help you spread out and get more comfy. It does feel a bit 'antisocial' but DH is relieved to be sent off to the spare room as it turned out I was keeping him awake!
I agree with noble- as much as I'd love to go to bed earlier, on the nights I have, I wake up really early like 4am ish early. So 10.30 ish lights out for me.
I have found if I wake up in the night to have a snack like Horlicks with a banana or digestive biscuit seems to relax me ( hungry day and night!)

I do think if your mindset is 'oh well I am awake' and you just try to relax awake resting your body, it is psychologically more soothing than getting upset and rattled about it
If i cant get back to sleep in the night, I listen to radio 4 programmes on iplayer with headphones, which I can often drop off to. And recently found a free white noise app with crashing waves, rain, birdsong and the like which is also quite soothing to nod off to.

PineapplePol Wed 24-Oct-12 18:21:18

Thank you all for your replies. Bedtime and sticking to a normal routine seems to be the common theme. I went out last night (after an hours kip) to the local community choir and managed to stay up until 1030pm - the latest I have seen in a long time. I moved into spare bed - softer and kinder to hips and slept well until cramp set in around 4.30am. Boy was that painful. I was cursing and muttering so much that DH thought labour had started. He still stayed in bed though and didn't even ask if I was alright. Men! Today my pelvic girdle pain is so bad from the extra walking last night I can barely move and wish I hadn't gone out! Isn't pregnancy wonderful!!! Guess my blooming days (such as they were) are definitely over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now