Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So nauseous, how to cope with work?

(45 Posts)
rrreow Tue 23-Oct-12 13:28:33

Am 6+3 and have got really bad morning (read: all day) sickness. I've not been sick but I just feel really nauseous all day. I'm doing all the home remedies (eating small bites regularly, bland food, ginger, mint tea) which help relieve it a bit, but mostly I just feel like I want to sit/lie as still as possible to avoid making it worse.

I'm working full time and finding it sooo hard to concentrate. If I'm doing something fun I'll be distracted, but work isn't particularly fun so I really feel like I'm suffering through the working days. Sorry having a real moan here haha. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with work and make the day go any faster?

rrreow Tue 23-Oct-12 13:29:06

Or if you're in the same situation as me, feel free to have a moan. I have lots of sympathy!

bonzo77 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:43:46

I had same as you, terrible constant nausea but very little vomiting. Also better when distracted. The only things that helped me were constant nibbling of ready salted crisps (hula hoops were best) and grapes. Avoiding eating or drinking anything with an after taste. I'm 29 weeks and its much better, though not 100%.

Binkybix Tue 23-Oct-12 13:47:57

I thought I was further along than I am (thought I was 11 weeks am actually 5-6) and I am feeling so ill too. Makes sense now because of the new dates.

I am actually at home because I also have a stinky cold, but I am also very worried about work. My head is all over the place and I just don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm not very good at coping with work stress anyway, let alone feeling like this.

I am finding that salty popcorn helps.

Feel blue (also because not as far along as I thought I was).

rrreow Tue 23-Oct-12 14:27:42

Binkybix aww bummer, I can really imagine that's annoying to find out you have more weeks of this ahead than you thought.

Thanks for the tips both, going to try salted crisps and popcorn.

hopeful92 Tue 23-Oct-12 15:22:34

I totally feel for you, I had terrible "morning" (all day!!) sickness from 6 weeks to 9 weeks, was throwing up all day every day and couldn't keep ANYTHING down!! To make matters worse, I work in Greggs. The smell of pies and pasties and the sandwich ingredients tipped me over the edge every shift, I was running to the bathroom every 20 minutes to be sick!! I now just feel nauseous all day, but no actual sickness (I'm 10 weeks tomorrow). I find that eating plain foods little and often helps me a lot. I found dry biscuits too hard to eat so I stuck with pears at first as they are quite mild tasting and I let them go soft so they were easier to eat. All I can really suggest is eat small meals throughout the day and it will pass soon enough.

Good luck - pregnancy sickness is horrible sad

Binkybix Tue 23-Oct-12 17:01:03

Thanks rrreow. I think I just got a new dose of hormones today or something (hence the bizarre crying fit on the bus to the scan), but it's not so bad. I got to see it at a very early stage, so am lucky in a way.

I hope the popcorn/crisps work. I have also found melon helpful as bland but also gets one of your five a day smile

PseudoBadger Tue 23-Oct-12 17:08:23

I'm exactly the same timing as you OP and I can keep it at bay if I eat a little something every hour....

InPraiseofOldHouses Tue 23-Oct-12 17:08:40

I found flat coca cola with lots of ice helped. I would have open cans in the fridge at home and at work. Later on I was able to drink the coke without ice (though) still cold and fully carbonated but flat at first definitely worked for me. It was the only thing that worked and my morning sickness lasted till about 16 and a bit weeks! Good luck!

Dillydollydaydream Tue 23-Oct-12 17:14:06

I'm 7ish weeks and have spend the last 3 weeks feeling nauseous all day. It seems to be getting worse, today I've been retching a lot but no vomiting, it's making me feel really miserable.

I do find hula hoops and cracker breads help briefly.
Drinking anything makes me feel really sick, I can stomach decaf tea fairly well but that's about it. It will pass though smile that's what I keep telling myself although when I was pregnant with ds2 I was still being sick well past 20 weeks

ArtfulAardvark Tue 23-Oct-12 17:15:32

I was exactly the same. I managed by drinking a ginger cordial and peppermint tea - I had practically every food graded by how disgusting it was to bring back up!!

Surprised my DC wasnt born looking like a french fancy!

Marmiteisyummy Tue 23-Oct-12 17:18:06

Try some travel sickness bands? They really took the edge of for me. Still using them now at 15 weeks. It's hideous, but it is worth it.

naughtymummy Tue 23-Oct-12 17:21:05

My morning sickness days are long behind me. But I do now wish I had taken time off with it. Itis perfectly legitemate and loads of colleagues have subsequently done so

ArtfulAardvark Tue 23-Oct-12 17:25:46

Yeah I used the bands too - got some really funky bright aztec ones from boots! Unfortunately the sickness went all the way through so I hope you are luckier than me.

bumpitybumpbump Tue 23-Oct-12 17:29:53

Wotsits helped me - easy to eat and you can actually just suck them till they melt. That and sipping ice cold water with a squeeze of Lemon to start my day. Eventually I was able to graduate onto Frazzles and Ribena grin.

However, for the vast majority of cases, it does end! Mine ended at 15.5 weeks and I have not forgotten how hellish it was. I ended up telling one person at work who I report to around 6 weeks because I couldn't hide it anymore. They were very understanding and I just worked from home in the mornings where travelling was too hideous to contemplate. Good luck!

ArtfulAardvark Tue 23-Oct-12 17:32:16

I wouldnt have been brave enough to eat wotsits they would have been graded under "will be disgusting if I bring back up" grin

PseudoBadger Tue 23-Oct-12 17:58:04

Omg I feel awful just imagining sucking a Wotsit <boak>
Hula hoops rule!

Zorra Tue 23-Oct-12 18:32:12

Eurgh, me too (9 weeks). Not actually throwing up, just constantly nauseous and loads of things make it worse. It means I don't eat, then I get ravenously hungry and that makes me even more nauseous as it's that kind of empty acidy feeling. Been losing weight sad It's horrible being constantly starving and vomity at the same time. Good luck to us all!

angeltattoo Tue 23-Oct-12 18:40:35

Lucozade and wotsits - all I could stomach for weeks.

The nausea is the worst, mine passed eventually now just sick first thing at 15+4 you have my sympathy

MooLL Tue 23-Oct-12 18:42:21

Oh gosh soooo know how you are all feeling - I've got really weepy over the past few days as after 7 weeks of constant nausea and exhaustion I am just worn out .. I find what helps seems to change every week ... currently raspberry jam sandwiches appear to do the trick and fizzy citrus drinks .. Ive also taken a couple days off work as I am just too yuck to be there - but going back tomorrow and dreading it ... although Ive only been sick a couple of times I dry heave ALOT - so not attractive ...

Secondsop Tue 23-Oct-12 18:45:32

I was the same. In the end I went to the doctor and she said I could either listen to my body or soldier on, and signed me off work for a couple of weeks (I did have a further complication of very high blood pressure to add info the mix). She also prescribed a once-a-day tablet called avomine, which definitely took the edge off it so is worth considering.

Shriek Tue 23-Oct-12 23:30:19

was sick nite n day for first 5 mths. Would pull over and open car door to vomit in road on way to work. hated ginger tea butr it really worked for me. the best thing of all, which stopped it completely was feet up for 2 weeks.soin agreement with post where doc says 'soldier on' or 'give in to it' I truly wish i'd given in to it far earlier and rested properly. I hardly ate wld still vomit! not good at travel now - same thing as motion sickness for me. sympathies for those suffering. I heard it was sign of strong pregnancy hormones.

Shaiandbump Wed 24-Oct-12 09:22:20

I'm currently living off pink lemonade lucozade and hula hoops, I occasionally eat a sandwich but basically I skip every meal to eat crisp and fizzy drinks, really cannot be healthy tho, I'm just hoping once I get past 12 weeks everything will get better otherwise I pressume I will be unemployed :/

EmpireBiscuit Wed 24-Oct-12 09:25:49

I found sucking boiled sweets really good for settling the naseua.

PseudoBadger Wed 24-Oct-12 09:30:18

I'm not feeling great right now. I know it will be fixed if I go to McDonalds and get a hash brown grin Wtf? I haven't had one in years! Don't judge me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now