Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

vaginal ultrasound.. what to expect?

(15 Posts)
ditsydoll Tue 23-Oct-12 12:08:10

I had some light bleeding a couple of days ago and have been booked in for a vaginal ultrasound for tomorrow.

I think I'm about 8-9 weeks (very irregular periods so I could be wrong but no less than 7 weeks) and they have decided to do a vaginal ultrasound.

I had an abdominal ultrasound with DD at 8 weeks due to a suspected ectopic pregnancy so I am just wondering why I am.having a vaginal scan this time and what to expect really.

Is it painful/uncomfortable and what will be seen on the scan?

Orenishii Tue 23-Oct-12 12:11:46

They did this at my 20 week scan - it looks like a very long, thin....ummm...dildo I guess!! It had a slightly rounded, bulbous top (haha oh god this description is bad!) It was slightly uncomfortable but not painful and they used lubricant. They used it to measure my birth canal. It really shouldn't be painful and you could practice breathing to relax. I saw my birth canal on the screen, and the baby!

sausagesandwich34 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:13:00

the scan pictures will look similar to an abdominal scan but for early pregnancy they can get a better view

the probe they use is similar in size to a vibrator (can't think of another way to describe it, bit crude, sorry)

they are very respectful of your dignity while they are doing it and it's more weird than uncomfortable

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:15:03

Don't worry in the slightest - it's honestly easy, and nowhere near as bad (if you're anything like me) as you'll be thinking. Not painful, not uncomfortable, just a little bit odd-feeling. Not the most dignified of procedures but they'll give you big paper towel to cover yourself up and as they do this all the time they won't be embarrassed or awkward at all. The most close to anything like 'discomfort' (and it wasn't even that, really) I felt was when they moved the scope gently from side to side to get pics of both ovaries. Less traumatic by far than a cervical smear (mostly cos I had awful smear last time, the trainee nurse forgot to close the speculum before she pulled it back out...)

I should add that I am not the most relaxed about these kind of things and tend to tense up - and even I couldn't find anything traumatic about the scan! Have had it done years ago before pregnancy and now am pregnant a dating scan at 8 weeks. A breeze both times, honestly.

Good luck!

Orenishii Tue 23-Oct-12 12:16:13

YY to definitely being a lot less uncomfortable than a smear!

Wallison Tue 23-Oct-12 12:16:46

I think they do the ultrasound vaginally because the position of the pregnancy at this stage means that they wouldn't be able to see it properly otherwise and also they might be able to find out where the bleeding is coming from - although they never did get to the bottom of the latter in my case. Don't know why it's different for checking for ectopics but presumably they are just checking the tubes for that (I have had both as well and at the same stage in pregnancy also (different pregnancies)). I didn't find the vaginal painful or uncomfortable although of course it is undignified - but then I guess you get used to that when you're pregnant! They use this thing that looks a bit like a dildo (! - sorry, but it does) and it stays in for a couple of minutes while they check out what's going on. When I had mine done - every week from 6-12 weeks because of bleeding - I was able to see the baby and a heartbeat, which I found very reassuring. I hope it all goes well for you.

mummy2benji Tue 23-Oct-12 12:17:09

For a scan where they are just checking baby / the womb and are not measuring birth canal or anything else the probe only goes slightly inside the vagina, so it is nothing like having a vaginal examination or smear. I had two when I had a missed miscarriage and other than feeling a bit cold it was no big deal at all, wasn't really aware of it.

ditsydoll Tue 23-Oct-12 12:19:54

Thanks ladies smile I had imagined it would probably look abit as you have all described lol.

I had a speculum swab and internal done on Monday which was pretty intrusive so it probably won't seem too bad.

Fingers crossed everything is ok. I'm hopefull as the bleeding has stopped

Paradisefound Tue 23-Oct-12 12:21:02

Had this at 7 weeks. Did not feel a thing.

Wallison Tue 23-Oct-12 12:27:11

Haha I was writing my message while others were posting and I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who thought it looked like a dildo! And yes it's bulbous on top! My partner was a bit shock

ditsydoll Tue 23-Oct-12 13:45:20

Oh dear... just Googled the ultrasound probe... that does not look good!

3rdtimelucky73 Tue 23-Oct-12 14:11:13

ditsy please don't worry.

I have had several if these for pcos checks, and early scans (more visible) and also as I have a retroverted uterus (slanted backwards and flabby tum ) and it isn't as bad as you're imagining.

They only insert it a little way in, it's a little odd (specially having it done in front of DP) but a hundred times preferable to a smear test.

Good luck.

ditsydoll Tue 23-Oct-12 15:12:35

Thank you smile

PandaWatch Tue 23-Oct-12 15:56:43

I had this at my twelve week scan to measure my birth canal. I was a bit shock when they brought it out because it is a bit dildoesque but they do only put the tip in and it was lovely seeing a different view of the baby. It's not remotely painful so please don't worry!

Wallison Tue 23-Oct-12 20:03:40

Yes, definitely don't worry - I didn't mean to alarm you! It is honestly nothing like a smear test and didn't cause me any discomfort at all - and I speak as someone who couldn't tolerate the internal exams they give you when you're in labour so I have a low pain threshhold when it comes to my bits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: