Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did your first sweep work?

(14 Posts)
Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 09:57:13

I'm going to ask for one tomorrow at 39+5.

Am clutching at straws, but has anyone had an experience of their first sweep working, or know the proportion that do?

Londonmrss Tue 23-Oct-12 10:11:16

Hiya love, honestly I think it's really unlikely that they'll give you one that early- they might at 40 weeks. Mine won't until 41 weeks.
As far as I know it's only really likely to work if things are happening anyway- ie if your cervix is already dilating nicely etc.
Totally forgot we have the same due date! How are you doing? Do you feel like anything is starting to happen? I don't!

AWomanCalledHorse Tue 23-Oct-12 10:14:54

No.
My midwife did offer me an early one (39+1) but she wasn't there on that day & the midwife I did see refused to give one so early.
I was induced slightly early with DS (39+4) and two sweeps failed to do anything.

Good luck!!

Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 10:41:52

Hey! I called the midwives this morning to ask and Kings policy is to give you a sweep from your due date. I called to ask whether they'd do it a bit early, and the MW I spoke to said if it were her, she would.

No, NOTHING is happening except that I can't sleep as everytime I lie down it feels as if she's trying to burst out if my ribs sad I am so sick of being pregnant! I wouldnt mind an examination to see whether anything is happening i dont know about...How are you getting on?

Londonmrss Tue 23-Oct-12 11:04:47

Just nothing happening really- no show, no shits, no braxton hicks- absolutely nothing. I'm really trying to be patient and trust that she'll come when she's ready, but it's really hard! I was thinking the same about an examination, but I think if someone else tells me that nothing is happening yet, I'll get even more tense about the whole thing...
I've got a new mantra- 'Trust my body- it knows what do do'. My other one is 'No amount of stressing or obsessing will help'.

grin "no show, no shits"

I am booked in for a sweep at 39+5.

But I had two with DD and she still came in her own sweet time 10 days late.

Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 11:18:03

Haha at "no shows and no shits".

To be honest, I think I'd be alright if I wasn't so bored. How are you keeping occupied?

AbbyRue Tue 23-Oct-12 11:41:31

39 + 5 but I know I'll be overdue again - for 3rd time sad

I've had it, really really have had it. Convinced myself I'll be early this time but I have 48hrs to get baby out!!! I know he won't budge though.

Bored bored bored

Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 12:27:44

Same Abby. I think I need to reframe my thinking to say that I know she should be here by the 9th of Nov even though that thought makes me want to cry

mummy2benji Tue 23-Oct-12 15:04:31

I've had 2 sweeps and still waiting for baby... Having said that I'm only 39+3, my midwife gave me my first sweep at 38+6 - partly because she is nice and doesn't seem too bothered by the rule book, partly because dh has his consultant surgical exam when I will be 40+12 (we timed it well) and his not being able to sit it would be a bit of a disaster plus cost us £2k. So she took pity on me.

It probably isn't quite accurate to say the sweeps have done nothing as I passed my show over the weekend and when I had the second sweep yesterday she said that the cervix was now thin and flat and baby's head fully engaged and all is ready to go... I just need the contractions now!

A sweep won't put you into labour if your body and cervix aren't ready yet, but if they are then the hormones released following a sweep might just be enough to start things - worth a try in my book!

Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 19:14:02

I'm wondering how accommodating she'll be to just give me an internal exam.

Good luck to your DH mummy, I know medics' exams can be a complete ball ache.

mummy2benji Tue 23-Oct-12 19:22:44

Thanks and yes! hmm Hope you get an accommodating midwife - it all depends on the midwife I think. Some will only play by the book and won't bend 'the rules' whereas others are more flexible. x

Sastra Tue 23-Oct-12 19:39:03

That's the irritating thing - the only other appointment I could have had would be NEXT WEDNESDAY when ill be 40+5! I had to beg to be seen closer to my due date for my 40 week appointment. It is policy to offer scans from due date but leaving people for 5 whole days (so not seeing someone for 2 weeks 5 days) is just too much, which is why I'm hoping she'll do SOMETHING get this baby out of me!

Sastra Wed 24-Oct-12 11:01:33

I've had D&V this morning.

Knowing my luck I've just got norovirus wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now