Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doea sex really help start labour ?

(42 Posts)
ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 22-Oct-12 20:54:54

And how often do you need to do it for it to work ? Just wondering ... smile

BillyBollyBandy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:55:56

Nope. Although the laughter that can ensue when trying to bonk a 40week plus pregnant woman might do...

Loobylou222 Mon 22-Oct-12 20:59:42

Well I has sex with oh then started having contractions about an hour later but didn't have dd for another 2 days, so it could have been sex?

NellyBluth Mon 22-Oct-12 21:07:59

I heard its not sex so much as an orgasm, it gets the cervix going. Our NCT tutor recommended 'going solo' to get this started!

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 21:14:29

Yes!
She was due to be induced the next day as she was small for dates.
I think she agreed with the consultant that she wasn't going growing any more.

I'm not sure sex shifts babies that don't want to come out.

CODwidow Mon 22-Oct-12 21:17:19

Worked for me grin

Northernexile Mon 22-Oct-12 21:17:23

Not in my experience, but then neither did being induced! It can be fun trying though! wink

HeinousHecate Mon 22-Oct-12 21:20:07

Isn't it because orgasm releases oxytocin. apparently stimulating your nipples has the same effect.

People talk about raspberry leaf tea and also caster oil

TimothyClaypoleLover Mon 22-Oct-12 21:20:25

My friend was told by her MW that when you are induced they use pig sperm hence why sex is meant to help start labour.

HeinousHecate Mon 22-Oct-12 21:21:39

but failing all that, book a table at a really posh restaurant, get dressed up in your finest, have your hair and nails done and you'll probably be in labour before you've got in the car. grin

VintageRainBoots Mon 22-Oct-12 21:22:49

Both my midwife and birthing class instructor (a nurse) said that orgasm helps. Also, pineapple and castor oil, if I recall.

SoulTrain Mon 22-Oct-12 21:31:04

confused Timothy Pig sperm?! That can't be true!

It does work. I had to beg DH though. I was like a giant upturned tortoise. Sexy.

ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 22-Oct-12 21:31:32

Pig sperm ??!!!! shock

I'm already on the raspberry leaf tea and I've heard the only thing castor oil does is give you the runs !! grin

Think I'll go get some pineapple tomorrow don't think it will do my perpetual heartburn any favours though !! grin

Northernexile Mon 22-Oct-12 21:34:55

Pineapple and raspberry leaf tea didn't work for me either. Reckon she would have still been in there if they hadn't taken her out of the sunroof!

RobinSparkles Mon 22-Oct-12 21:35:18

I thought it was supposed to help because semen contains prostaglandins(sp?) which is what they use to induce pregnant women.

Fairylea Mon 22-Oct-12 21:35:48

Nope.

My dh just said he found it highly amusing to look up and see Buddha bouncing away.

The cheek !

mosschops30 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:36:21

Nope

RobinSparkles Mon 22-Oct-12 21:37:32

Pineapple doesn't work. It does contain something (I don't know what) that could kick start labour but you'd have to eat a bazillion fresh pineapples for it to have an affect!

TimothyClaypoleLover Mon 22-Oct-12 21:38:37

soultrain, I kid you not, that is what my friend said! She practically forced her DH to have sex with her as she thought the inducement sounded so disgusting!

choccyp1g Mon 22-Oct-12 21:40:53

Worked for me. Took about 9 months if I remember correctly.

akaemmafrost Mon 22-Oct-12 21:42:54

Yes.

BobblyGussets Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:03

Sex for three consecutive nights: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night. DS 2 was born at 8.00am on the Friday at 8.00am two weeks early. He didn't even touch the sides grin.

Also Op, there are accupressure points at the back of your heels, either side of your ham strings, massage those a bit too.

VintageRainBoots Mon 22-Oct-12 22:05:25

choccy: Thanks for the laugh.

I was sooo tired of being pregnant by the time my due date rolled around. That very morning, I went to the store, bought a giant tin of crushed pineapple and refrigerated it. Once the pineapple was chilled, I added some castor oil to it---the crushed pineapple totally disguised the texture for me---and ate as much of it as I could. About an hour or so later, I had the biggest bowel movement EVER. Soon after, contractions started and my daughter was born that very night.

Coincidence?

Marzipanface Mon 22-Oct-12 22:12:44

My obstetrician told the ONLY thing scientifically proven to help bring on labour is sex. Everything else is folklore.

ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 22-Oct-12 22:34:08

Three nights in a row at full term bobbly ??!! wow I'm sweating at the thought of trying every second night !!! gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now