Talk

Advanced search

2.5 and a newborn... Will I need a double buggy?

(20 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sun 21-Oct-12 23:44:57

My DD will be 2 and a half when my baby is due.

How long do toddlers stay in buggies for?

PseudoBadger Mon 22-Oct-12 00:08:08

I'm hoping that my DS (who will be just under 2 and a half when dc2 arrives) will either walk with the baby in the pram (he hardly uses it now at 20 months) or he can go in it and the baby in a sling.
Either way, I'm not forking out for a new pram grin

bookbird Mon 22-Oct-12 00:11:05

28 months between my 2. I got on great with a buggy board. Every child is different, but a double would have been a waste of money for me as DS was happy to walk and just jumped on the board when he got tired.

EugenesAxe Mon 22-Oct-12 00:12:46

Quite hard to call... DS (2.9) does walk quite a lot now but if I'm in a hurry I'll want the double buggy (he was 1.9 when DD was born). You'd possibly be OK if you could manage with a sling and a buggy for a little while.

One friend of mine downsized when DS 3.6; saw another recently with her son who was walking and DS2 in buggy; former must have been similar age.

PoohBearsHole Mon 22-Oct-12 00:13:19

A friend gave me a double buggy, got used a couple of times, would suggest starting off with a sling, andhen a buggy bard, smaller investment smile

fruitpastille Mon 22-Oct-12 00:15:27

I found a double essential for age 2.4 and new baby. I got a second hand Phil and Ted and still use it as a single now my youngest is 3. It depends how much you walk or how quick you want to go.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 22-Oct-12 00:23:51

we didn't have a double at 2y 6 mth however we did have a buggy board and ds1 was ace. we had already stopped using the buggy before baby was born.

Chunkychicken Mon 22-Oct-12 10:05:05

I'm 36wks & my DD is 2.5yo (just) and I will probably buy a cheap tandem for 2 reasons - a) handling a toddler & a baby when out shopping is tricky, and at the moment I NEED her in the buggy as I can't physically carry all the baby stuff & shopping etc and b) it will be cold when baby is due. If it had been summer, I wouldn't bother with the double. I fully expect to only get 6mths out of the double/tandem & then sell it on. As it happens, have also bought a buggy board that's compatible with my DD's pram & a carrycot for her pram too (there was an incredible offer in Boots as I walked past one day, otherwise wouldn't have bought that either I suspect).

Have a look on the Pushchairs forum for further advice. Oh and, www.bestbuggy.co.uk is a great website for comparing doubles & tandems.

bigkidsdidit Mon 22-Oct-12 10:08:01

My DS will be 2.4 when new baby arrives. He is still in a sling a lot now with a pushchair occasionally. I'm planning on putting new baby in a sling I I need to use the pushchair or DS, and getting a board for the pram when I want to use that.

Doubles are just do bloody massive I can't be bothered with it hanging round the house!

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Mon 22-Oct-12 10:12:18

It is massively variable. I have lots of friends with this gap, some had a double and some didn't.

I think, if you have one, you think you couldn't live without it. In some cases that it true. In some cases you probably wouldn't miss it if you hadn't got used to having it, IYSWIM.

I think the main consideration is the personality of your child. DD1 would stand nicely on the buggy board, didn't run off into the road, etc and had quite a lot of stamina (plus was still napping, so had lots of daytime energy). She was also good on the scooter. If you have a child prone to bolting, or who likes to nap on the move, you'll fine it more necessary.

Pascha Mon 22-Oct-12 10:16:30

I have a tandem ready for DS who will be 2.4 when the baby arrives. He can't ride a scooter yet and wouldn't stay very still on a buggy board. Also, I want him strap-in-able and not have to carry the baby when I'm doing stuff in town. I fully expect to be able to sell it by the time DS reaches 3 but til then I'm happy to have the tandem.

EwanHoozami Mon 22-Oct-12 10:17:29

folks round here my family are quite snotty about buggy boards and I have no idea why. maybe they think making a tired & whining preschooler walk two miles is character-building? aaaaanyway. BBs are ace.

UserNameAngst Mon 22-Oct-12 10:23:27

My DS1 was 2y 9m when DS2 was born 5 wks ago. I didn't get a double to start with; had hoped DS1 would be walking reliably by then, plus had the sling / single buggy combo. I did end up buying a 2nd hand double a few weeks ago. I hope it will hold a lot of value and I can sell it on in 6 months or so. It wasn't essential but it does make life that bit easier. It is quite large but I keep it in the car boot. So I guess I am saying you could wait and see!

jenbird Mon 22-Oct-12 10:33:38

I had a double with my first two with same age gap as yours and it was a waste of time. Found it much easier with baby in baby Bjorn and ds1 in pushchair. It does depend on what you need it for. I just found mine so cumbersome and hardly used it.

plantsitter Mon 22-Oct-12 10:44:03

I didn't and then wished I had and got one (smaller gap though). I did get a second hand one when DD2 was about 5 months old and I really wished I'd had it earlier! For me, slings are not v comfy (big boobs) and DD1 was going through a big tantrum phase and sometimes when they were both screaming it was great to be able to stuff everyone in the pushchair and GO.

Meglet Mon 22-Oct-12 10:45:34

I'd say yes. There's only 22months between my DC's but they have stayed in the buggys until 4.5.

It's not much fun trying to get small children to walk if the weather is grim or you're all ill / tired and busy.

We had a phil + teds, the older child can walk but has the option to hop in and out.

backwardpossom Mon 22-Oct-12 12:53:24

I would go with baby in a sling. My DS stopped using the buggy at about 2.8 - it's been in storage since then...

ThursdayNext Mon 22-Oct-12 13:04:40

I didn't have one. I walk a lot and mostly used a sling for the baby at the start, then had the baby in the pushchair but always kept a sling handy so if DS was really tired or stroppy I could plonk him in the pushchair and baby in the sling. DS scooted nearly everywhere from about 3. Would have liked a buggy board but the pushchair I had wouldn't fit one.
I'd see how you go without one.

wickedfairy Mon 22-Oct-12 14:09:28

DS was 3.5 when DD was born so I didn't bother. Now DD will be 2.3 when DC3 arrives - I don't plan on getting one.

My plan is: use the buggy for DD if she needs it and carry DC3 in the sling. Can then swap them over if/when required. Hopefully when DC3 is too big to carry, DD will be fine walking anyway.

Wait and see - if not having one doesn't work for you, then you can get one second hand. WOuld be a shame to waste money buying one that you find you don't need. Good Luck!

BabaandBump Mon 22-Oct-12 14:56:11

We've got a double BJCM for DS due in December, there will be 2y 5m between him and DD.

I don't get on with slings and DD can't really be trusted with a buggy board as she's a bit of a bolter. We still use our single BJCM a lot now so would decided we'd rather the option.

We got it reduced and plan to sell it on when DD has grown out of a buggy to try and get some of our money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now