Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reduced movements...

(26 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Sun 21-Oct-12 21:32:04

Baby seems to have been a lot quieter than usual today. I've noticed the odd move here and there but the movements seem to be quite gentle and muted and not so obvious if that makes sense. He usually comes to life when I lie down in bed but so far not felt anything yet. Should I ring the midwife in the morning if it's no better? Or do I ring the ward? I'm 25+3 weeks.

Zombiebunny Sun 21-Oct-12 21:34:40

If you are ever worried go to hospital and they'll have a listen a
And reassure you. You are NEVER wasting anyone's time! Hope all is ok x

iloveholidays Sun 21-Oct-12 21:41:11

Second what zombie bunny says. Call the ward if you're worried.

I think they advise having a cold drink and laying on your side which they may do first.

CharleeWarlee Sun 21-Oct-12 21:42:29

Ring the hospital ASAP. Never wait with reduced movements...

iloveshortshorts Sun 21-Oct-12 21:45:22

hi please call the hospital and go and get checked over, dont doubt yourself xx

Zombiebunny Sun 21-Oct-12 21:59:04

Go! Go! Go!

owlelf Sun 21-Oct-12 22:02:59

Please do go. X

Runningblue Sun 21-Oct-12 22:05:43

I agree with all the above, but just add, do try a sugary drink and a good gentle poke at your tummy too.

My second baby is proving to be such a chilled out thing, I have days of movement followed by a complete constrast of next to no movement. This is generally the way i perk her into action...

First baby was like the karate kid all way thru.

mymatemax Sun 21-Oct-12 22:08:12

YES GO.
I really do not want to be alarmist but it is much safer to get the baby monitored earlier rather than taking a wait and see approach.
My ds 2 was delivered at 28wks after a couple of days of reduced movements, when i eventually went to the hospital he was found to be in sever distress & delivered immediately by emergency c section.
He is severly disabled but i feel very fortunate that he is with us at all.

99% of the time baby is just having a rest, but please get checked in case you are that 1%

TeaDr1nker Sun 21-Oct-12 22:10:21

Do call the ward and go in for monitering,if you have already tried what running blue said.

You are NEVER wasting our time. It is our job to look after u in your pregnancy.

Hope all is ok

Pochemuchka Sun 21-Oct-12 22:25:56

I agree.

Please go to hospital.

I had no movement for a whole day (am 30 weeks) told GP who got me to go to hospital.
Sod's law, baby started wriggling around like alien as soon as they hooked me up! (after my 35 minute train ride!).
The nurses were lovely and never for one second made me feel like I'd wasted their time.

Tamisara Sun 21-Oct-12 23:11:00

Yes go in. Better to go in 100 times on a false alarm, than not to bother the one time it does matter.

Don't faff around trying to get baby to move. Yes, they may work if baby is just being lazy, but they are not going to help a baby in danger, they'll just waste precious time.

As mymate says - a baby not moving much can be a sign of distress (though she had a lucky escape in still having her DS here). So go.

Best of luck xx

expatinscotland Sun 21-Oct-12 23:13:20

Go to hospital!

Had this with DD1 at 32 weeks. She was anterior placenta and was okay but they do not treat you as if you are wasting time!

PipIsOutNow Mon 22-Oct-12 08:14:37

I'm going to ring the ward this morning. I have an anterior placenta too do part of me wonders if it's that. My first pregnancy my little boy didn't stop wriggling around whereas this one seems a lot quieter in comparison anyway. But quieter than usual so I know I need to get it checked out. Hopefully they'll tell me to come in and put me on the monitor or something? Is 25 weeks too early to go on the ctg monitor?

PipIsOutNow Mon 22-Oct-12 09:01:01

Feeling a bit fobbed off. Rang antenatal ward their advice was to ring my community midwife.

glendathegoodwitch Mon 22-Oct-12 11:16:45

25 weeks is too early for a ctg - they usually do them after 27 weeks, however they can still listen in with a sonicaid/doppler and send you to for a fetal well being scan. does your hospital have an antenatal triage? maternity assessment or maternity referrral unit?? if so give them a call or if fobbed off walk in as a self referrral.

have you tried the iced water and lying on your left side for an hour to monitor??

hope all is well and baby is just being sleepy!!!

PipIsOutNow Mon 22-Oct-12 12:34:47

Community midwife just been out and listened to baby with a Doppler. He seems to be fine but she said if I'm still concerned to ring again later. Feeling a little more reassured now at least.

Ladylike1 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:41:10

I have a similar problem! My baby has days where she just doesn't want to move. And today is one of those days! Hope you feel more at ease now you've spoken to the midwife x

ShowOfBloodyStumps Mon 22-Oct-12 14:47:12

You should always get checked out if worried but be reassured that at 25 weeks, particularly with an anterior placenta, it's normal for you to sometimes feel them go quiet as they are still small enough to hide away. Hence them not appearing too concerned at this point. But it's important to get checked out and in a couple of weeks time you will expect a regular pattern of movement and any deviation from this is of more concern because the baby is bigger and unable to tuck itself away so easily.

bonzo77 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:59:20

sorry, checking with a doppler is not sufficient. You need scanning including checking the placental flow for notching. I went in with reduced movements at 38 weeks with DS. His heart beat was absolutely fine. But he had suddenly dropped from 50th percentile to 2nd and I had low fluid levels. I was induced there and then and it probably saved his life. A quick listen with a doppler would have lulled me into a false sense of security. I am absolutely shock at your hospital's attitude. Whenever I have phoned mine their standard answer has been "we can't tell over the phone, you must come in straight away".

mymatemax Mon 22-Oct-12 16:22:14

No a doppler is not enough. My GP listened with a doppler, heatbeat sounded OK but sent me for a scan to be on the safe side. Thank god for my cuatious gp.

25 wks is a little too early for a ctg, but they will scan & attempt to prompt movements while being scanned.
Please go, I wish I had gone sooner. You are not wasting anyones time.

Go staight to the hospital!!
I didn't have reduced movements buy i got bad pain and a couple spots of blood, irang the hospital they said it was normal... 3 hours later my mum and boyfriend took me in. I had a really bad infection which go into my blood from placenta and I had a weak cervix so i was ten centimeters.

I lost my little boy 36hours later because they had to break my waters or i would of died. He was born at 23 weeks called Riley-Lee. I wish I didnt wait and listen to the hospital sad.

Let us know how you get and yur littleun on, fingers crossed smile

owlelf Mon 22-Oct-12 17:47:09

riley so sorry to hear your heartbreaking story. What a lovely name you chose for your DS.

OP I know it's tricky when you feel like you Gould be fussing over nothing, but it sounds like the best thing to do us definitely ask for more reassurance.

mymatemax Mon 22-Oct-12 19:42:45

OP, I hope you've been to the hospital & all is well.

PipIsOutNow Mon 22-Oct-12 21:32:54

Thank u all for the replies. Riley I'm so sorry for your loss that is just awful.

His movements have picked up a lot today (typical) so feeling a lot calmer. I was a little shocked by the very laid back attitude of the hospital too tbh. I won't even bother ringing if it happens again. I'll just go in. I was absolutely petrified this morning. Hopefully it was just a one off and he was having a quiet day. Thanks again to everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now