Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

any tips about how to feel the baby's position?

(9 Posts)
halloweeneyqueeney Sun 21-Oct-12 21:08:57

just wondering if there's any tips about how to feel what the baby is up to, it all feels the same to me (30 wks). I want to know if I'm doing enough kneeling time etc to get the baby round the right way or if I need to do more. The MW seems to feel it fairly easily but she didn't explain how

thanks

Jakeyblueblue Sun 21-Oct-12 21:55:51

I could always tell which side ds was lying on as one side of my bump was firmer than the other. The side with his spine was firm all the way from top to bottom and the side with his limbs was always soft with some odd lumps and bumps. You can usually feel the bottom right at the top of your bump. Easier to feel if sat down. You should have some idea where baby is from where you feel the kicks too.
Try having a look at spinning babies website. That might give you a better idea.
Hope that helps a bit smile

AlisonDB Mon 22-Oct-12 07:47:46

The head is the heaviest part of the baby,
I asked my midwife, as I said I could feel the back, but was never sure what was the head or bum end.
She told me the easiest way is if it feels very hard, and you can almost wobble it then its the head, I'd it's softer and doesn't wobble it's the bum!
(Obviously not shaking the head!)
Once she told me this and she showed me how to check, it was fairly easy to distinguish.

AlisonDB Mon 22-Oct-12 08:46:11

Feeling the "kicks" never really helped me.
My 1st son was a prem footballer in the making, ( he actually managed to break one of my ribs)
Looks like this son is a champion boxer in the making, and manages to inflict huge pain into my pelvic area!

halloweeneyqueeney Mon 22-Oct-12 20:33:44

cant do that this time Jakeyblueblue, did have a soft side /hard bits with no1 but this bump is different, thanks for suggesting spinning babies though

I can't feel anything head like down low (where MW said it is because it feels hard but my whole bump feels hard all the time confused

might have to opt for a scan

eagleray Mon 22-Oct-12 20:45:20

I'm 27 weeks and was wondering myself today what the baby was doing as she seems to have changed position (and it hurts quite a bit!). Have tried feeling but apart from seeing a slight bulge to the left I have no idea what's going on.

Have MW appt tomorrow am so will ask then to see if she can give me any clue.

Blimey - she has just done a massive, outwardly visible kick as I am typing this. I've got some great alien-style videos of my stomach moving but clueless really as to how she's lying.

shattereddreams Mon 22-Oct-12 21:53:28

I had to have growth scan at 33 wks. Due to sugar in urine
Until then I had been rubbing away and poking baby in the bum. Except it wasn't. It was his head and he was breech.

Three different midwives all aged at least mid 40's with years and years of experience between them all wrote in my notes (pertinent because no one believed me) head down.

WRONG!
It perhaps is harder to tell then they make out.

shattereddreams Mon 22-Oct-12 21:55:01

And he hadn't been spinning around. He never moved, he was pretty stuck!

monkeynumberthree Tue 23-Oct-12 11:47:15

I'm confused about this too!

Midwife 1 (not my usual midwife) at 31wks = breech
Midwife 2 (at hospital) at 34wks = head down
Midwife 3 (usual midwife) at 35wks = breech

I think it's sometimes not as clearcut as you'd hope! I'm booked in for a scan on Friday to get a definitive answer.

I asked my midwife about how to feel the position and I think I can feel baby's head (if it is breech), which is a very hard, quite tender lump in the middle of my bump just above my belly button. However last night it had moved to the side and I could feel the same lump sticking out to the left of my bump. And then this morning it's back in the middle again... confused I didn't feel any unusually big movements in that time either.

Roll on Friday when hopefully I'll find out what baby is playing at! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now