Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Period pain cramps!

(16 Posts)
Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:54:54

Helooooo
I'm 35+2 and since all afternoon/evening ive been having a period pain cramp that comes ago, their not Braxtion hicks as i know the difference between them smile They are regular and are not getting worse or close between, i'm having one every 10-15 mins, ive also got a terrible back ache too. I was up the labour ward on Friday with my back and bad braxton hicks but they didn't say much except baby was engaged, one said 3/5ths, the other said 5/5ths. What do you all think?!

philbee Sun 21-Oct-12 20:07:40

This is how my labour started. I actually said to DH, at 41+2, 'I've got this weird pain, it's just like period pain but it comes and goes...' After I while I thought, hang on, these could be contractions. They got more distinct later. Go and get checked out again as it's earlier for you.

Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:09:22

Really? Wow, they haven't been getting worse or closer together! I don't want to go to the hospital to be told its a false labour or something, so i'm going to see how i get on! I'm overly dehydrated!

iloveholidays Sun 21-Oct-12 20:16:42

I could have written your exact post... I was in hospital last Saturday with exactly the same thing, back ache and bad braxton hicks. The midwives and doctors thought I was in early labour although I wasn't convinced as my previous labours my contractions were a lot more painful (although my waters broke before contractions started with them so a bit different).

Anyway, was sent home and told to go back in if things got any different, was back in on Monday night with the same thing, again sent home.

Still here 9 days later watching every symptom!!! I was 36 weeks when I went in, now 37+2 so just waiting until things change. Still getting very uncomfortable braxton hicks, back ache, baby has dropped etc etc.

Not quite sure what my advice is, but I know your hospital will want to keep an eye on you as you're classed as pre-term so don't be afraid to go in again, keep an eye on the movements, but at the same time I think braxton hicks can be quite painful towards the end especially in subsequent pregnancies.

Good luck

philbee Sun 21-Oct-12 20:18:22

I only say that because you're 35+2. That went on for me for most of the afternoon on the Sunday, and then I started to get more definite contractions in the evening, and that went on for several days, so it wasn't until the Wednesday morning that we went in, and then only to get out of the flat really because it was doing my head in. Luckily I was 4cm dilated and they admitted us. Hope it doesn't go on that long for you, or that it dies away again. Could be something else, of course!

Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:20:40

Thank you! This is my first pregnancy aswell so its more worrying; When i asked google if period cramping was normal they said it was the start or labour, i've had a lot of heavy discharge quite like snot (sorry about the TMI)

iloveholidays Sun 21-Oct-12 20:28:23

Heavy discharge like snot could be a show... I don't believe it always has blood in it. You can always ring the labour ward and ask for their advice? I'm not sure whether they would do anything differently at 35+2. Not sure what the cut off is for the injections to help with the lungs.

If I was you I'd just give them a call and ask for their advice (but then I'm overly paranoid) smile

Sastra Sun 21-Oct-12 20:29:59

Sounds like you've had a show. Call the midwife.

Sastra Sun 21-Oct-12 20:31:00

(A show suggests you're dilating, meaning you could well be in labour. You're not at term yet so please call the MW for advice).

Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:31:23

They stop the injection at 34, But apparently he's healthy and his lungs are fully developt, labour would only want me to go down there, i'll see if these cramps get worse or whatever smile

TwinkleReturns Sun 21-Oct-12 20:31:44

Sounds exactly like me with my DD - she engaged early and I had braxton hicks for a while which then became painful period like contractions. If you google some sites do talk about these "practise" contractions which aren't like BH yet aren't actual labour. I had these from 35 weeks until 38 - not continually but def often enough to be constantly wondering if I was in labour!

The heavy discharge sounds like your mucus plug coming away which can happen anytime from weeks to hours before labour. If these contractions stop or dont become more painful/frequent then use them as a practice for labour - practice breathing through them and make sure you're prepared (bag packed etc)

If they do become more painful/frequent then it may be labour - keep timing them and if they're still progressing a few hours later you'll know it is labour.

I read somewhere that when baby is very engaged early on it can trigger these practise contractions. Its all normal and natural, your body is gearing up and I would bet that you will have that baby before your due date. Good luck!

Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:39:25

Ahh, i've had them since about 4.30 - 5pm, there uncomfortable and i'm breathing through them, there coming every 10/12 minutes and last about 10 seconds a time smile I'll continue to monitor them and see how i sleep tonight if they get worse ill ring my labour ward, could it be labour? :S x

TwinkleReturns Sun 21-Oct-12 20:46:58

It could be - the longer you go the more likely it is labour. Tbh you'll know if it is labour because the breathing through them will get harder and they will feel different - i know that doesnt help right now but you will understand that comment at some point and be able to say "there's no way this isnt labour" iykwim?

Mummytobee2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:48:30

I get you smile There different to my braxton hicks, they where every 15 mins there slowly getting closer together :D

iloveholidays Sun 21-Oct-12 21:38:04

Sounds like it could be early labour.

Good luck

TwinkleReturns Mon 22-Oct-12 10:21:06

How'd you go last night OP? did they settle or are you now on the way to hospital??

sending you hugs whichever way

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: