Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Silly question, but what do new born babies actually wear?

(37 Posts)
DJH80 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:08:43

Hi - at my 20 week scan on Monday I found out I'm having a boy. This has sparked a mega shopping misson today. However, as I trailed around the shops, I realised I have no idea what a new born baby should actually wear!

Please could you ladies with experience let me know what types of things I should be buying?

Thanks

Flossiechops Sun 21-Oct-12 19:11:21

Yes baby grows. Lots and lots of baby grows. Mine December born ds lived in nothing else until spring! Oh and vests lots of them too, to go under the baby grows grin

HalloweenyHerrena Sun 21-Oct-12 19:11:33

I put mine in newborn onesies and maybe a cardigan over the top! Mine were summer (boy!) babies though smile

If you're 20 weeks now then you're due in.... <calculates feverishly> mid-March, right? I'd say go with the above for in the house and get one of those cuddly warm oversuits for out and about. Also lots of hats (knitted for preference, I think they fit better).

And congratulations! grin

mummywithnosleep Sun 21-Oct-12 19:14:03

baby grows with feet!
Vest
Cardi 2-3
Jacket 2-3
Hat
Socks to wear under the baby grow with feet
Atleast enough to change 3 times a day should do you nicely

EarnestDullard Sun 21-Oct-12 19:17:41

A sleepsuit (button-up-the-front are better than buttons-at-crotch) with a vest underneath. You'll need 6-10 of each of those. Also hats, a couple of cardigans and maybe a warmer jacket for outside if the weather's still cool.

ZombieTribble Sun 21-Oct-12 19:18:06

Ignore, ignore, ignore all those cutesy outfits. Buy a ton of baby grows with poppers on the front.

A lot of those cute outfits will defeat you when you try changing their nappy, especially on the newborn sleep schedule. smile

LonelyCloud Sun 21-Oct-12 19:21:36

Bodysuits (like a vest but with poppers under the nappy) and sleepsuits with feet.

Plus hats and cardigans/jackets to go over the top if you're going outside and it's cold.

DS didn't wear anything else until he was about 5 months old.

FreelanceMama Sun 21-Oct-12 19:22:04

but..get in the Up to 1 month size because if your baby is born at about 8lbs, he'll probably be too small for newborn clothes. So sad that our son couldn't wear the newborn sleepsuits we bought.

He wore vests (sleeveless bodysuits) under babygrows/sleepsuits (with feet and integrated scratch mitts - they fold over their hands) for months.

Add a hat and pramsuit for outdoors and a cardy for chilly houses.

Good luck : )

HalloweenyHerrena Sun 21-Oct-12 19:22:49

I hate outfits from Mamas and Papas by the way - I always found that you had to lift the baby's legs way in the air to do up the poppers on the bum! I got onesies (with feet, essential IMO) from M&S (they were good quality for the price!) and Sainsburys, Debenhams, Mothercare, Next also Primark when they got older and I didn't care as much

Don't get too many things as they do grow like weeds.... mind you the items will be useful for #2 grin

HalloweenyHerrena Sun 21-Oct-12 19:24:31

And if they need mitts to prevent face scratching because you're too chicken to trim their baby nails then I found a pair of socks over the hands worked very well - better than actual mitts as they were longer and stayed on!

I will stop going on now blush

LonelyCloud Sun 21-Oct-12 19:27:41

Yes, don't bother buying special baby scratch mitts. DS could get a scratch mitt off in under a minute. Socks are much better.

Alternatively, try and only buy sleepsuits with built in scratch mitts (Mothercare and Next both do these, probably other shops too).

nextphase Sun 21-Oct-12 19:33:42

Yes, to most of the above.
But don't bother with socks / scratch mitts on little hands. Buy sleepsuits with inbuilt scratch mitts - next, iirc.

Plain vests - if you get patterned ones, they show through the sleepsuits!

cardis - jumpers are useless

I'd go for 0-3 size.

DS1 was just over 7lb, but too long for anything else, so we passed them on to a friend with prem twins.

DS2 started in 0-3, and would have fitted in smaller, even though he was over 8lb. It is a strange system!

glendathegoodwitch Sun 21-Oct-12 19:37:00

Lots of vests and baby gro's as they will often need changing a couple of times a day after a bottom explosion or being sick down the front, at least one snow suit for when you are out in the pram/carseat - and although not essential I found nighties/bundlers an absolute god send for night time changes - they are like long nighties with elasticised bottoms that cover the feet and are easier to change bums in the middle of the night instead of struggling with poppers!!!

Maybe a cardigan for chilly days and a couple of hats?????

Fairylea Sun 21-Oct-12 19:39:14

Tesco vests and sleepsuits are great... not just because they are cheap but they are also very stretchy and sizes last longer without being huge !! ... they are also thin enough to layer which is good as you don't want a baby being too hot.

I'd make sure you get a selection of sizes... my 4 month old is now in 6-9 month clothes ! (And he was 6lb 9 when born !!!)

I'd also avoid the scratch mits. I found dd with one stuck in her mouth! Scared the llife out of me!

DJH80 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:39:46

Ah brilliant advice. Thank you so much. I knew as I was looking at all the really cute little jeans that they seemed a little impractical! I'm glad I went with my instinct.

I was also wondering about what sizes to buy? I didn't see any of the 1 month things. The ones I could see were "newborn" or "3-6 months." Perhaps I'll just get a selection.

I can't wait to be a mum!

EarnestDullard Sun 21-Oct-12 19:46:56

I got some newborn size things and some 0-3mo. DD2 (currently 2 weeks old) was 7lb 11oz but quite long, and newborn size fits at the moment but won't last much longer! 0-3mo would have swamped her in the first couple of weeks though.

Lavenderhoney Sun 21-Oct-12 19:58:09

Congratulations!! I went to m&s and jon lewis and bought a couple of packs of the long with socks and long sleeved baby gros. Don't buy anything which has to go on over their head! Be aware the shops will still be open when you have yr baby! It's lots of fun when the baby comes. Scratch mist- too much faff and ds hated themsmile did buy lovely hats but grams got knitting lovely wooly cardis with special baby woolsmile

Feel all broody again now.

HalloweenyHerrena Sun 21-Oct-12 22:19:46

I've just changed DS2's nappy and thought you might be grateful for a few tips on how to preserve those stylish new onesies from poo attack grin

As he's a boy, check the willy is centralised before doing up the nappy. If it's pointing towards the side at a jaunty angle then he is more likely to pee directly at the leg flaps and cause leakage. Also, we've found that we only ever get poo leakage when we don't pull out the leg flaps (the bit of material that surrounds the elastic which goes around the legs). If that bit of material is pulled to the outside of the nappy then IME you will be at reduced risk of poo explosion.

Still looking forward to this?!

Walkingchloe Sun 21-Oct-12 22:30:18

Get lots of soft sleep suits, avoid hard denim stuff and anything that looks uncomfy. No to anything with buttons or poppers up the back (why?) and I'd avoid anything with a hood as it must be really uncomfy to lie on a hood all day or lie with it half over your face. Babies spend a lot of time lying with their heads on one side! A hat will be better although we got given loads for Ds and he only wears one now and again, usually when he's in the sling. A sleeping bag is fab when they get big enough.

Also check the recommended weights for clothes, most newborn is up to about 7.5lbs but it varies, worth shopping around. Also IMO you get what you pay for and the quality of stuff from m&s and next is much better than primark and tesco although we have lots from both!

Good luck and enjoy!

Walkingchloe Sun 21-Oct-12 22:32:43

Forgot to say, tk max is excellent for half price gro bags!

Runningblue Sun 21-Oct-12 22:38:03

Dungarees for little babies are the work of the devil - or some sadistic baby clothes designer! Simple is best as the other posters have suggested.
I also say avoid things with embroidery, material badges or heavy appliqué on them, the backing fabric is often very scratchy for delicate skin

Emmylooo Sun 21-Oct-12 22:45:53

Babygros and cardies over the top, and then some more babygros. Don't be tempted to put them in fussy clothes that people think look cute, you'll spend even more of an eternity changing their nappy while you're pretending that you're an expert. (or was that just me?!) Oh, and forget jeans, they are cold I reckon and not too comfy to sleep in!

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 22-Oct-12 06:53:33

I've got 10 sleepsuits and 10 vests, and a couple of outfits. The outfits are just footed leggings with long sleeved tops. I also have a snow suit and 3 cardigans, 4 hats and lots of bibs. Don't go for anything which buttons up the back until about 3 months, likewise nothing with a waist until the cord has healed. Up to 10lb size is perfect, they will seem massive at first as new babies are determinedly scrunched up for a few days and legs and arms disappear into the body bit, but they soon stretch out and grow.
Both of mine (8lb and 6lb 12) were in newborn for about 6 weeks, and going through 3-4 changes of clothes a day due to leaking at both ends.

bbface Mon 22-Oct-12 07:11:22

Comfort, comfort, comfort is the way to go. Feel the inside of everything you buy. I just do not understand this gorgeously soft babygros, that are actually really rough on the inside. So great for the parent holding the baby, horrid for the baby who gets rough polyester!

I am due my second just before you. I suggest the NCT shop for vests. They do lovely soft kimono style vests, meaning they do not go over the head.

Wait for the Laittle Wzhite Company Sale. Their babygros are deliciously soft, and wash very well I.e. the cheaper ones can get bobbley and rough unless you use a tonne of softener. Oh, that remind me, For first couple of months we bought super gentle washing powder. I can not remember the name, begins with S.

Finally, my ds was >8 pounds, but still needed a few new born items as otherwise the babygros are baggy, and in miD winter, you want them to feel snug. So I suggest a handful of newborn items.

Longtalljosie Mon 22-Oct-12 10:07:30

Newborn is up to around 9lb. I'd get some newborn (maybe 6 babygros / vests) and a larger selection of 0-3.

Do you have anyone who can provide you with handmedowns? Take all offers - the little blighters can get through 5 suits in a day quite cheerfully...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now