Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does early induction of a first pregnancy affect length of second pregnancy?

(7 Posts)
SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 21-Oct-12 16:38:21

I'm planning on asking my MW about this but wanted to see if anyone knew on here. Google apparently doesn't.

Labour with DC1 was induced at 37 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. It took every trick in the book to make the induction work: pessary, gel, breaking waters, syntocinon drip throughout. I'm now 40+1 with DC2 and wondering whether my chances of going into labour naturally are the same as a first-time mum or a second-time mum, as my body hasn't done it by itself before IYSWIM?

Doing a bad job of explaining here... My body has never gone into labour by itself or produced the hormones to push a baby out. Would the artificial hormones used in my first labour have created a 'memory' for my body to refer back to or not?

Reason I'm asking is the Trust policy on sweeps is for them to be offered at 40 and 41 weeks for first pregnancies, but only at 41 weeks for second pregnancies and I want to know which fits me better.

If that made any sense, any ideas?

mummy2benji Sun 21-Oct-12 18:01:20

I think your chances are like that of a second time mum, although it is a little harder for you to have an indication of when you might go into labour because of course you don't know when your body would have begun labour last time. Rather than the hormones, I think it is more the fact that physically your birth canal has pushed a baby out before that is the relevant factor.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 21-Oct-12 18:12:17

DC1 was tugged out with a ventouse. As I remember it, it was an awful lot of pain and not a lot of work done by me.

Thanks.

DontGrumbleGiveAWhistle Sun 21-Oct-12 20:03:26

Tugged out or not your body has made available the amount of space required.
My first was like yours and subsequent ones weren't. Went into labour myself on next two and didn't need the book thrown at me!

I refused to be induced in any way on my second, including a sweep, and I went into labour naturally (a little bit of nipple twiddling did the trick blush) but I opted for the sweep on my third. The first sweep didn't work but the second one worked within a few hours

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 21-Oct-12 20:08:24

I hope you're right! Really don't want to be induced again.

mummy2benji Sun 21-Oct-12 20:35:33

It will have been hard for your body in your first labour because at 37 weeks your body obviously wasn't ready for it - it had to be dragged into labour protesting! Which means your cervix wasn't favourable, or soft and ready to open. This time round that will hopefully be happening now, and your body will be gearing up to get going. Hope it happens for you soon smile Come and join us on the Last week or two of pregnancy thread if you need some fellow fed up pregnant ladies to whinge with to give support!

Goldenbear Sun 21-Oct-12 20:49:00

I was induced for my first DC but at 41weeks and 6 days. It was pretty horrendous birth, everything you mentioned, several dips in Oxygen, a forceps delivery in the end but was 5 minutes from being EMCS.

I was induced at 41 weeks with DD. I was concerned as the movements seemed different, less and my instinct was correct as I went to the hospital and they told me the amniotic fluid was dangerously low and that they needed to induce me. I had 1 hour to go and get my hospital bag, sort out the care of my DS. Within that time I decided to read up on hypo birthing on the Internet, which actually really helped as although I had the pessary, everything else followed with ease. I was walking around in a room that luckily didn't have anybody else in it that night. The freedom helped me to relax and breath really well. DD was delivered without forceps, ventouse and they put her straight on to me. Breast feeding was also very easy. With DS they whipped him away before giving him to me, I assume because he was forceps delivery, in lots of distress and poor little thing had a bruised eye, cut on his head- he looked like he had been in the boxing ring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now