Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cat poo - WWYD

(8 Posts)
ninjasquirrel Sat 20-Oct-12 17:35:31

So, DH got me a big planter for my birthday (I like gardening, he doesn't). I filled it 2/3 with compost but it's been a couple of weeks and today when I went out to finish it off and plant bulbs in it I found the neighbours' cats have been using it as a litter tray. Normally I'd sift through with a trowel (lovely job) - do you reckon it's ok to do that when pregnant if I wear rubber gloves? I'd rather do it myself than get DH to do the shit-sifting - but I don't want to take stupid risks.

AlisonDB Sat 20-Oct-12 17:42:27

I think with rubber gloves, and using a trowel ET. You should be ok,
Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you finish doing the job, (but I'm no expert)

bangersmashandbeans Sat 20-Oct-12 18:20:16

I have an indoor cat so fretted about the poo issue too! Most people are immune to toxowhateveritis so for peace of mind I asked the MW for a simple blood test to check my immunity (I am immune) so you could ask for one too?

zigwig Sat 20-Oct-12 18:28:46

Just wear gloves and wash your hands. You can catch the same thing from garden soil but I wouldn't dream of stopping myself gardening, it's the only exercise I get. Plus I always think how must people who work farms manage. They can't just ignore everything for months. I think the risk is fairly small. Chances are you're already immune as you've got a cat so have probably already had it.

terilou87 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:09:57

i would get your other half to do it, or if he cant then gloves and make sure to wash hands ect after. as bangersmashandbeans said most people are immune but be careful coz if you get it while pregnant it can cause your baby to be brain damaged and worse. i would avoid doing it personally smile

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:20:21

I wouldn't do it - but one of the women on my antenatal thread lost her first baby to toxoplasmosis despite having always had cats, she wasn't immune. I'd certainly get DH to do it, it's just not worth the risk sad

mrsbugsywugsy Sat 20-Oct-12 19:25:49

Whatever you do, don't do it on a windy day. I was digging the garden when 5 weeks pregnant and the wind blew a trowel full of cat shit into my face. I was fine.

(this may not answer your question but will hopefully give you a good laugh at my expense)

ninjasquirrel Sun 21-Oct-12 15:37:25

Eergh to cat poo in the face! Thanks for the range of different opinions... I may get DH to do it - but no idea when he'll find the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now