Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tell me what pushchair to buy

(32 Posts)
squidkid Sat 20-Oct-12 17:27:56

Have a 3 week old and a sling which is doing fine for me. However grandparents etc may want to take her out at a later date and don't want to tie them up in a moby wrap against their will.

Am overwhelmed with sleep deprivation and breastfeeding and baby blues and cannot face research, please help, wonderful mumsnetters!

Criteria:
Lightweight (live in an upstairs flat)
Small (live in city centre, don't want to navigate a giant jeep of a pram around town)
Folds small (I have a small car)
Suitable for newborn but will be ok for older child too
Not bothered by brands etc, maybe something i can pick up second hand on ebay?

PickledFanjoCat Sat 20-Oct-12 17:29:03

Cheap city mini jogger.

Light
One hand fold at bottom of stairs
Suitable from new born.

LemonBreeland Sat 20-Oct-12 17:31:32

Baby jogger city mini or Maclaren techno

blackcurrants Sat 20-Oct-12 18:25:28

had a baby jogger citi mini for 2 years, my (HUGELY TALL) 2 year old still fits in it. Love it, lightweight, easy to open and fold shut, easy to steer.

Plus, we got it 2nd hand in 2010, so it's probably about 5 years old by now, and still in great nick!

Brilliant thing.

blackcurrants Sat 20-Oct-12 18:28:48

Oh, if you plan on having another child in the next 2-3 years, you might want to think about a pushchair that easily converts into a double-pushchair.

Like the Baby Jogger Citi Select

Or a Phil and Ted's pram.

That's absolutely my only regret about the citi mini - it's not some thing I can easily make newborn-and-toddler-friendly. as it was cheap as chips nearly 3 years ago I am not complaining, BUT I'm expecting #2 now and looking into a Phil & Teds. So worth thinking about if you're planning on having a couple close together.

Just about any pushchair will take a 'converter kit' so you can clip your carseat into it. You don't need a 'travel system' or any extras, really, except for a rain hood.

VeremyJyle Sat 20-Oct-12 18:32:04

No disrespect to blackcurrants but do not get a phil and teds, I lived in a first floor flat with mine and its heavy, huge and frankly horrendous once your inside the external door. I would say quinny zapp plus (or whatever the newer version is called) or a maclaren techno (I still love mine four years (and countless pushchairs) later

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:22:13

Yet another vote for the baby jogger city mini - its what my mum has for DS and it's perfect for what she needs (basically all the same reasons as you have given) smile

PickleSarnie Sat 20-Oct-12 19:50:27

Another one for a maclaren techno xt here. My DS2 has pretty much only been in that as opposed to the mama and papa sola we had for DS1. It lies flat, the cosy toes is soooooo cosy and it folds up.easily. its definitely not the smallest and lightest of fold up buggies but I love it.

fraktion Sat 20-Oct-12 19:59:20

BJCM all the way. It's light, small, the wheels pop off and very age versatile.

blackcurrants Sat 20-Oct-12 20:13:09

Sorry! Didn't clock the bit.about the flat. absolutely get the.city mini then, we got ours. when living in.a.first floor flat too!

PickledFanjoCat Sat 20-Oct-12 20:38:19

I got a bee when I was living in a flat and that was good too but not worth the extra dollar over the jogger if you want to keep costs down.

EBDTeacher Sat 20-Oct-12 20:50:19

BJCM all the way. I love mine. Will last forever, my 41lb 100cm tall 2yo is still fine in it. I've blessed it so many times when I've arrived at steps and just been able to scoop it up with one hand.

On the other hand, the BJCM is not beautiful and if I was having a baby all over again I might be tempted by this gorgeous thing

LemonBreeland Sat 20-Oct-12 20:59:11

Just to say for the BJCM and the Techno, my 5 year old can fit in both still. He looks a little big, but they are both very spacious.

messagetoyourudy Sat 20-Oct-12 21:17:15

Mclaren Techno all the way - I live in a city and getting on and off buses, packing it into small car etc etc etc is fab - very light, packs up easily all round fantastic - couldn't ask for more. Great price Great item!!!

blackcurrants Sat 20-Oct-12 22:23:52

I.think you.can.see your best options, OP smile I was often.walking the dog so liked having a single handlebar, rather than two handles, which clinched.the.city mini.for us. only.heard good things about the maclaren thoughw

osterleymama Sat 20-Oct-12 23:28:47

City mini jogger. I have one for public transport and travel. I'm tall and it's not the most comfortable for me to push but it's a one handed instant fold, light and reclines quite far which is handy for day naps. If money isnt a problem I'd consider buying new and selling on eBay when you're done. They hold their value quite well. For the same reason I wouldn't bother with a double/convertible. It's easy to sell and buy on eBay when you need to change prams and you don't know what your circumstances will be when you have another down the line, for example a two year old will still need a pushchair seat and maybe to nap in pram, a three year old might be ok with a buggy board.

PeachTown Sun 21-Oct-12 12:57:04

McLaren Techno XLR. Lies almost flat so suitable for small babies, very light and manoeuvrable and fits easily into a small car.

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Oct-12 13:00:17

Definitely Baby Jogger City Mini.

LemonMagic Sun 21-Oct-12 20:27:26

In almost the extact same position as OP (use from birth, first floor city flat, public transport but fold for a car, not worried about brands) I was recommended the Micralite fastfold superlite - does anyone have any experience /views on this?

NellyBluth Sun 21-Oct-12 20:51:30

Another vote for the Maclaren Techno. Its light but its sturdy too. Had the baby in it from 3 months - there's a headhugger insert to help a little one sit comfortably, and it lies flat, you can lie it flat with one hand without disturbing the baby. And it folds up and pops open ridiculously easy too. I absolutely love it, its great for the price.

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 21-Oct-12 21:36:22

petite star zia would work well too

growyourown77 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:12:54

Hi all,

I'd like to crash in and ask about the Maclaren Techno and Baby Jogger City Mini as I'm weighing up these two...but we will do some country walks with some ruggedy paths etc.

How do these two fair on walks?

NellyBluth Mon 22-Oct-12 14:17:03

The Maclaren is ok but it is more of a city pushchair, I think. It depends how rough the walks are - it's sturdy, but it's no equivalent of a 4x4, if that makes sense.

blackcurrants Mon 22-Oct-12 14:30:56

Hi growyour I use my BJCM for some 'light off-roading' (gravel paths through woods on dogwalks, round playing fields, etc). It's not exactly a smooth (our is an old model and doesn't have not air tyres, worth seeing if the newer ones do) but it holds up pretty well to being shoved over roots and through piles of leaves and sticks and things. It's got considerably bigger wheels than the Maclaren, which is probably going to give it the edge when it comes to anything over than a paved street.

growyourown77 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:40:06

sounds like the kind of walks we do! thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now