Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is this?!

(11 Posts)
SigningGirl Fri 19-Oct-12 22:32:27

Evening all...

So I'm 27 weeks with number 1 and everything has been going really well. Usual early pregnancy niggles (read total exhaustion) but actually been feeling lately like I have been glowing...

Knew it couldn't last long! I have had a cold from last week - which is just going. Odd thing is that I've also started to get pain in the muscles in my groin - as if I've pulled something. It is always there, to a greater or lesser degree. Sometimes it is agony and i'm wincing as i walk/get up etc and sometimes it is just background pain. Haven't done anything to pull a muscle unless I've been exercising in my sleep (if only that were possible!)

Any ideas what it might be/how to stop it? I'm sure Dr. Google will give me lots of options, but I thought I'd try you ladies who might have experienced it before!

Thanks!

BikeRunSki Fri 19-Oct-12 22:39:15

Muscles and ligaments stretching to.accommodate things growingvand moving.

SigningGirl Fri 19-Oct-12 23:46:26

Thanks BikeRunSki - I have had a reasonable amount of twinges so far that I have assumed are "growing pains", I think the reason I thought this might be different is that it is fairly constant pain.

I just want to not have to limp around for possibly another 15 weeks if there is something I can do!

Argh!

exexpat Fri 19-Oct-12 23:58:15

Sounds like you have The beginnings of SPD. If you search MN, you'll find lots of threads on it.

I had it relatively mildly in both pregnancies - had to stop cycling and be a bit careful about how I moved my legs when getting in and out of bed etc. A few unlucky people get it so badly they end up on crutches. But it does normally get better quite fast after you've given birth.

exexpat Sat 20-Oct-12 00:01:08

There is even a special MN page on it: [[http://www.mumsnet.com/pregnancy/spd ]]

exexpat Sat 20-Oct-12 00:01:51

Sorry, link fail SPD

spandau1980 Sat 20-Oct-12 23:48:40

mmm i second spd sorry xx

eagleray Sun 21-Oct-12 00:15:56

Hi - 27 weeks here too, and have been getting a pain every now and again which I could only describe as feeling like something is prising my pubic bone apart!

Also find I get a more general, muscular-type pain from prolonged sitting in an office chair - like you, feel it most when I get up to walk around.

The pain and discomfort does vary quite a bit though - sometimes I can run up 4 flights of stairs without feeling a thing, then the next day I am shuffling around like a granny.

Let's hope we can get through the final trimester without it getting any worse!

DontGrumbleGiveAWhistle Sun 21-Oct-12 20:48:20

Anyone who thinks they might be suffering from Spd/SIJ/Pelvic girdle pain please please take action sooner rather than later. It can affect how far you can open your legs in labour and so you need to be measured and physio notes put in your medical notes.

tell your midwife and ask for a physio appointment

TheAngelsHaveTheOod Sun 21-Oct-12 22:07:34

Theres a new support thread just started too

SigningGirl Sun 21-Oct-12 23:17:26

Thanks all...I had quietly suspected spd, but didn't want to jump to conclusions only for it to go away. Doesn't seem to be getting better so midwife it is... sad

Eagle - fingers crossed that we get through it without too much more pain, I'll likely see you on the support thread if I can find it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now