Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I had the flu jab and feel like I'm getting ill, is this normal?

(17 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 19-Oct-12 18:18:13

Got the jab at my antenatal appointment yesterday. Woke up in the middle of the night with a thumping head, sore arm and generally like I'm about to come down with something.

Is this normal?

ALittleBitOfMagic Fri 19-Oct-12 18:19:38

I got mine yesterday and been feeling terrible all day . I think they do make you feel a bit run down after .

RightUpMyRue Fri 19-Oct-12 18:23:06

Me three. Had it yesterday. Headache today and injection site sore/bruised feeling.

I had one last year and don't remember feeling this crap but wasn't PG then. Glad to hear it's not just me.

babydad Fri 19-Oct-12 18:28:09

Wife had it last week (Weds) and is only just getting over it. Had to take 2 days off work.
Starts with Headache, then the runny nose and finally a chesty cough.

Not nice.

readyforno2 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:29:16

Got mine last wed too. Felt like shot for a couple of days but much better than getting full blown flu I suppose. Hope you feel better soon

readyforno2 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:29:34

*shit not shot

zigwig Fri 19-Oct-12 19:08:28

Yes it can make you a bit rough. Mw told me I may get a cold after mine or feel a bit run down. All for the greater good though!

InherentlyCantankerous Fri 19-Oct-12 19:49:47

Something to look forward to in the morning then! I had mine today, it REALLY hurt and my arm is so sore now.

digerd Fri 19-Oct-12 20:02:49

Every year the flu vacines change to include any new strains that are around. I have had them each year for 4 years, including the swine flu. And each time the jab site is tender and bruised. this year, I was jabbed rather harder than usual into my tiny muscle, and since September, have had terrible pain when pruning shrubs in the garden, and the arm right down to the forearm hurts. I assume the nurse, damaged a nerve as my muscle tissue is practically non existant, and hope it repairs itself soon as much more pruning to do this month. Don't normally have any other symptoms though, that i have noticed

bran Fri 19-Oct-12 20:17:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paradisefound Fri 19-Oct-12 20:30:01

Had mine yesterday. Sore arm but otherwise ok.

Discolite Fri 19-Oct-12 20:44:20

I had mine on Saturday. I woke up on Sunday feeling rubbish - headache, upset stomach. I pretty much stayed in bed and slept all day, and then had Monday off work. Still better than a dose of flu though!

Kelerina Fri 19-Oct-12 21:06:02

I had mine last week and no side effects at all

plannedshock Fri 19-Oct-12 21:10:39

Thank god!! I had mine last week,have had a headache bunged up nose an generally feel poo since, thought it was a reaction or something because people have said "you don't get any side effects"it's almost like a cold without being full blown!

miniandfloss Sat 20-Oct-12 07:38:24

Yeah I have the jab every year as asthmatic and always feel a bit ropey after with a heavy cold for a week. I'm happy to live with this as the alternative of flu is much worse I ended up with pneumonia after a bout of flu 5 years ago and would never ever wish that on anyone especially with a new baby.

Isandri Sat 20-Oct-12 07:53:15

I always have mild flu symptoms for 2-3 days after having the jab. I always curl up in a duvet with a hot drink and relax or go back to bed for a nice long nap.

WerewolvesDoTheFandango Sat 20-Oct-12 08:10:18

The jab stimulates an immune response to produce the antibodies, this can feel like a mild cold. Or if you already had a cold coming on it can make the symptoms appear a little worse for a few days.

I had it last week and felt ropey on Saturday night but all better by Sunday. Hope you all feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now