Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

travel system help

(10 Posts)
orangeshortbread Fri 19-Oct-12 15:48:17

I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first and I am completely overwhelmed by the choices of travel systems available! Please would some wise MNers help me out with recommendations?!
I am looking for something not too bulky/heavy as we don't have a lot of room for storage and something easy to manage (eg folds easily, not too hard to push). I also want something that will be comfy for the baby and either that comes with a carseat or has the capacity to fit one. Obviously we also want something durable that will not wear out quickly - possibly reusable if we have baby no 2 in a few years' time. I'm not on a hugely tight budget but only want to pay for the higher prices if the price is really worth it.
I've spent a couple of hours reading reviews and I feel back at square one! Please share your recommendations or other things to take into account that I might not have considered. Thank you!

Chocchip88 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:50:39

Try asking in the pushchairs section. They know EVERYTHING!
For what it's worth I've just got a Baby Jogger City Mini for DS2. Brilliant fold, can fit carseat on, lies flat (or you can get a carrycot) and it is perfect for a toddler too.

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 19-Oct-12 16:05:46

Definitely take a look at the Pushchairs talk board smile decide what factors are "must haves" - for us it was parent facing, suitable from newborn, suitable for overnight sleeping. we don't have a car so didn't need to consider whether it fit in the boot.

ladymia Fri 19-Oct-12 16:09:49

my requirements were quite similar to yours and i am getting this

http://www.babyzen.com/video-zen.php

the pushchair, car seat and carry cot is about £900

ask in the pushchair bit as the others have said already, they are very helpful!

lauraellajane Fri 19-Oct-12 21:18:56

I had a chat with a Mothercare lady the other day and she showed me the Graco Evo - I'm totally sold! It fits what you want too so might be worth checking out, and seems to be a good price at around £400-£500 depending on what extras you get (car seat / flat cot).

Teapot13 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:42:14

Check out ebay/gumtree. We were not really on a tight budget, either, but I felt completely overwhelmed. There are often practically new items (unwanted gifts, etc.) for a fraction of the regular price. I paid £160 for a complete Silver Cross travel system (except bought car seat new separately) and much of it was still in the original wrapping.

I'm not suggesting this just to save money, but it helped me focus. And for my first baby I was worried I would spend £1000 and end up with something unsuitable because I didn't feel confident I knew what we needed.

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 09:11:25

I've got a babystyle oyster and it's fantastic! DS is 19 months, and it's still like new, he still fits comfortably in it (unlike a lot of friend's children in their prams) and is light enough that I don't feel the need to change to a maclaren or anything stroller-wise and can fit a week's worth of shopping onto it

I also love that it parent faces, DS still prefers facing me although if we are somewhere exciting for him I'll face him forward. It can be folded in one piece but is more bulky that way, it only takes a second to pop the seat unit off. smile

imustbepatient Sat 20-Oct-12 10:38:49

Bugaboo donkey is great. You can buy it in single mode and then if your DC2 arrives when DC1 still needs to go in the buggy often/occasionally you buy the double extension kit and have a double buggy.

It is really light and so easy to use. It takes maxi cosi car seats, seats can face either way and it comes with a carry cot for newborn and a seat for when baby can sit up. It isn't the smallest for folding though so definitely visit a mothercare or similar and check it fits in your boot before buying. Even though they are pretty new out, you can get second hand ones in good condition on eBay.

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 11:24:16

The donkey in mono mode is still very wide though imustbe and unless you are aiming for a small age gap it wouldn't be suitable as a double anyway really - we have recently started looking for a double and my DS (19 months) barely squeezes into the seat even now - there's no way it will be suitable when he's 2! smile

imustbepatient Sat 20-Oct-12 12:58:46

If you take the side basket off when in mono mode it's not much different in width to a chameleon though. Our DD1 is 2 and fits in it fine (70th percentile for height and weight) but of course it will differ for some children as you say rock. I think with all buggies though it is worth trying a few out in person because as you can tell from these posts, what suits one person might not suit another. You need one that works for you and your lifestyle, which can be hard to work out from online reviews and comments alone - as you've already experienced! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now