Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Raspberry leaf tea/ capsules

(37 Posts)
MayimBialik Fri 19-Oct-12 15:01:37

For those of you that have tried Raspberry leaf tea or capsules, did you speak to your midwife about it first or just do it? Everything advises speaking to midwife but mine's really hard to get hold of so I've been a bit naughty and just started taking the capsules anyway.

What is the danger if any? I'm 38 weeks by the way

I have no advice, but a question, where do you get the tea or the capsules?

I would prefer the tea but looked in sainsburys today and couldnt find it!

Im 38 weeks too smile

MayimBialik Fri 19-Oct-12 15:07:14

You need to go to a health food shop really. I got mine from holland and Barrett and they can be taken as capsules or opened up and used in hot water for tea. I heard the tea tasted rank hence why I'm taking as capsules

Never even thought of H+B, thanks!

I didnt realise you had to ask the mw. I hope someone comes along to answer your question as I have been no help! Sorry!

Sastra Fri 19-Oct-12 15:19:43

I went to my local health shop and they said that the capsules had been banned! Not sure how much truth there is in that though...

Ladylike1 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:25:23

I've had 2 children, and swear by these tabs! I've already got my stash in for when I'm 36 weeks, in 6 weeks time! With my first baby, I asked the midwife, and she said that its fine to take them.
I was naughty with my second and started taking them earlier, at 34 weeks. But all they do is soften the cervix, which helps you to dilate quicker, both of my previous labours have been quick, so the tabs do the job!
I couldn't drink the tea, as I agree, it's rank! But carry on with the tabs! gringringrin

MaggotMummy Fri 19-Oct-12 15:27:44

I had an independent mw, she started me on Raspberry leaf at 30 weeks. It is a uterine conditioner, it does not start contractions as some people believe it improves blood flow to the muscles and the indications are that it helps with labour.
Your community mw may not be allowed to advise you as it is a health supplement/herbal therapy and there is a narrow medical band in which they operate.
I didn't like the taste of the tea, I took one capsule a day until 36 weeks then two a day until 41 weeks when dd finally decided she was cooked.....

MayimBialik Fri 19-Oct-12 15:29:56

The capsules haven't been banned Sastra. Holland and Barrett are in a lot of trouble if they have been hmm

stargirl1701 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:31:34

I drank the tea from 36 weeks. I liked it so no problems. No idea if it made any difference btw. Labour and birth were fine. 18 hours total but only 9 hours were intense.

Sastra Fri 19-Oct-12 15:39:50

That's what I thought. He said that the licensing of them had recently changed, meaning he couldn't sell them over the counter.

That said, there aren't any on the H&B website?

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 19-Oct-12 15:40:03

I like the taste of the tea - having read various sources it seems like it won't do any harm, even though there's not much evidence for it either.

Ladylike1 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:45:37

I got mine from h & b last week, and there was no mention of them being taken off the shelves x

Ladylike1 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:48:31

Just looked on their website, they are still selling it, they have the tea bags, the tabs and the capsules x

Sastra Fri 19-Oct-12 17:31:54

Argh! They didn't have any when I looked a couple of weeks ago - so so annoying!! Might be too late for me now at 39 weeks!

Sastra Fri 19-Oct-12 17:38:42

They are indeed there now. Utter bastards. I'm going film myself having a long and painful labour and send it to them. This is all their fault.

Cookiesandcream06 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:40:29

On the jar I had it said not for use before 30 weeks. I think the guy in h&B said to be 36 weeks but I took them before that last time round. Makes contractions more effective apparently as strengthens the uterus's walls hense you get more BHs I think. I would just do it!

loveroflife Fri 19-Oct-12 21:01:28

Is it OK to take these if you've had a c section for no.1 but hoping for natural birth for no.2?

Orenishii Fri 19-Oct-12 21:13:03

As I understand it, it doesn't bring on labour, it helps tone and strengthen the uterus making contractions more effective etc. You begin taking them from around 32-34 weeks to build them up in your system.

I got the tea from H&B but someone here kindly pointed me to Neal's yard - the H&B tea is no good, it's super weak - like 30% and tastes sweet. The "proper" tea leaves are the rank tasting ones, apparently.

I've been taking about six capsules a day from about 32 weeks. I started on the Evening Primrose Oil capsules about two weeks ago, one a day. I have no idea if they help or not - it's my first child and if I have a "fast" labour, I've nothing to compare it against. But the thought of it helping helps grin

Badgerina Fri 19-Oct-12 22:23:31

Raspberry Leaf Tea - won't start labour but will tone your uterus which will help with your contractions. With DS1, I drank the tea rather half-heartedly and it made NO difference. With DS2 (11 days old smile ) I took concentrated capsules from Holland and Barrett, for 4 weeks before my EDD (started at 4 a day, increasing to 8)

My labour was very quick. My contractions were super efficient (2nd baby mind you). First stage about 3 hours, second stage was about 10 minutes :D

I'm still taking a reduced dose to help my uterus shrink back. I am finding my afterpains are very mild (they were TERRIBLE last time) and my bleeding is stopping already.

RL is also high in Iron and Magnesium, helps with milk production and tends to keep your poo softer - good for post-birth constipation issues :D For me, it's been a bit of a wonder-herb!

Have I left it too late at 38 weeks to start?

AlisonDB Fri 19-Oct-12 23:33:51

I drank the tea with DS1, dont know how much it helped with labour, although it was long, i didnt have pain relief, and my uterus shrank back very quickly after the birth, within 1 week i think the midwife could no longer feel the fundus, i didnt have after contractuons and i hardly bled. Maybe 1 week max. Very light.
Coincidence? maybe, but i'll be doing the same again!

Out of interest why Evening Primrose??

Ladylike1 Sat 20-Oct-12 08:27:30

Isn't that meant to help bring labour on? Not sure on this...

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 08:56:46

Ladylike as stated above its just meant to tone and prepare the uterus, it doesn't bring on labour.

I drank the Clipper Raspberry Leaf Tea from 32 weeks (I actually like the taste) increasing by one cup each week, then from 38 weeks drank as much as I could and also took a few capsules as well each day. Despite DS being back to back (usually means a much longer, more painful labour) it was only 10 hours from first twinge to him being in my arms, and 2.5 hours of that was pushing!! From 3-10 cm (advised will be around 7 hours) was 4 hours. I can't say RLT was the only thing that did it for me, but I'll definitely be doing the same with DC2 grin

Rockchick1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 09:00:52

Alison evening primrose contains prostaglandins (a much milder dose of the stuff they use for induction) so is meant to help start labour. Can be taken orally or (to be more effective) pop a capsule up as close to your cervix as you can at bedtime, and it will dissolve with your body heat and soften the cervix. Make sure if you do it this way that you wear knickers and a panty liner, as the oils will leak out a bit when you get up.I started this at 39+3, DS born on due date - I had been for an examination the day before I started using it and was told cervix was closed and long, and looked like I may be in for a bit of a long wait smile

AlisonDB Sat 20-Oct-12 09:10:41

Wow!!! I never knew this one!! Thanks great tip!
I'll definatly be doing this as well then,
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now