Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks and baby still not engaged

(13 Posts)
ALittleBitOfMagic Fri 19-Oct-12 12:55:07

Just came home from a mw appointment and it still says at brim in my notes . DDs head was fully engaged at 34 weeks and she was a week late . It's been at brim for the last 6 weeks but hasn't moved any further down .

Would that happen if baby's head is too big to fit in my pelvis ?

I would have asked mw but she couldnt get me out quick enough she measures me and didn't even Mark in my chart so I don't even know how big I'm measuring now . I'm a bit disappointed with the appointment tbh .

mummy2benji Fri 19-Oct-12 13:05:07

Shame your midwife wasn't more helpful but no, I don't think it has anything to do with baby's head size. Every pregnancy is different, and sometimes baby's head doesn't engage until labour is actually beginning. Also, with your first pregnancy, when baby's head engages that tends to be it - their head doesn't come out again - but with subsequent pregnancies baby's head can dip in and out of the pelvis and may not settle in there till the last minute. So don't worry, I don't think it will affect when you go into labour or that it has any meaning regarding baby size. x

milkyjo Fri 19-Oct-12 13:20:30

Don't worry too much. I was 5cm dilated in established labour and I felt an actual drop as baby engaged. I felt the urge to poo, wee and throw up at the same time!!!! I don't think there has ever been a case of baby's head being too large for a mother's pelvis x

Baaartimaeus Fri 19-Oct-12 13:31:35

I wouldn't worry either.
At 38+4 my midwife told me that absolutely nothing was happening (cervix tightly closed etc.) and I'd definitely go to my due date (41 weeks here).

38+5 and I gave birth! grin We were so so so surprised as I'd just spent the previous day resigning myself to go another 2 weeks...

windsurf74 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:33:21

I"m 38 weeks too and still not engaged!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 19-Oct-12 13:39:24

I'm 40 weeks tomorrow and the head still isn't engaged. It was engaged at 37 weeks but popped out again hmm

turnwest Fri 19-Oct-12 13:42:23

Honestly don't worry, on Tuesday this week I was 40 +4 and baby was not engaged at afternoon midwife appointment, and had no labour signs at all so we discussed inductions and sweeps. At 1 am the following morning contractions started , at 6 am I was in hospital and at 10.30 am my son was born, I m holding him now. He weighed 9pounds and his head dropped down fine normal delivery. Just thought I d post my experience and hope it makes you feel better. You ll be fine, honestly. Good luck!!

Baaartimaeus Fri 19-Oct-12 14:16:41

Aw lovely turnwest
Lots of newborn snuggles!

Nicknamenotavailableeither Fri 19-Oct-12 14:25:01

I think that in second pregnancies it normal for the baby's head to not engage until labour. Something to do with there being more room / slacker muscles. My me said that my baby probably engages / disengages lots throughout day depending on my position. Xx

ALittleBitOfMagic Fri 19-Oct-12 16:03:39

Oh thanks you've all made me feel so much better ! I came out all disappointed and upset at the way the appointment went then I read my notes and it said that I just wanted to cry sad

Oh congratulations turnwest !!! smile

blackcurrants Fri 19-Oct-12 16:50:46

I was induced at 40+4 and the little sod darling DS still hadn't engaged - didn't happen till 9 hours into the labour, when my waters broke and suddenly I felt it ... I echo the poo/wee/throwup feeling description above!

He came out fine - 9lb, one teensy stitch, no biggie smile

greenbananas Fri 19-Oct-12 19:04:27

My midwife told me it is very common for 2nd and subsequent babies not to engage until labour has actually started.

DS1 engaged very early - it felt like I was walking around with a bowling ball between my legs for weeks. DS2 is certainly not engaged yet and I am 37+2.

debbie1412 Fri 19-Oct-12 20:13:59

Also not engaged at 38+2, dc1 was engaged at 36 weeks dc2 still bobbing about merrily. It's very common not to engage until d-day with further children. My midwife also barely spoke throughout 10 min appt :-(. Although I'd rather it that way then them find a problem. 2 weeks time wel have our babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now