Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

27 weeks brown blood

(19 Posts)
Tugstonia Thu 18-Oct-12 22:12:58

I'm 27 weeks and have had small amounts of brown blood this afternoon/evening. I had similar at 10 weeks and 18 weeks, went to hospital both times but no cause was found. I've felt the baby normally today and have listened to heartbeat on home doppler. But am still worried! I'm planning to call midwife tomorrow morning but just wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar and had any wise words?

tiredteddy Thu 18-Oct-12 22:25:15

Bump for you x

Jakeyblueblue Fri 19-Oct-12 01:33:12

I had this at 30 weeks and went in to be monitored. They did an Internal but They couldn't find any reason for the bleed, they tell me I'd got thrush though, and that was prob the cause. I was mortified as I didn't even know and am a nurse as well! Dr was lovely and said the infection was very high up and probably why I hadn't realised. I had a pessary then and there and I never bled again.
Go in to be checked if your worried but try not to worry smile

Tugstonia Fri 19-Oct-12 10:33:40

Thanks ladies. MW told me to come in so am waiting to be seen in the maternal assessment unit. Fingers crossed!

Zara1984 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:39:18

Glad you're being checked! My mw told me that about 60% of women have some kind of bleeding, but as long as baby and placenta are fine on trace & ultrasound, then it's usually ok. Often they can't find the reason for the bleeding (very frustrating).

I had a big heavy bright red bleed on Monday (at 38 weeks), but it stopped with 24 hours and baby and placenta are fine. They also told me that when its brown blood they're not as worried as bright red.

Best of luck, am sure everything is fine! thanks

tiredteddy Fri 19-Oct-12 12:11:33

Hope you are ok?

Tugstonia Fri 19-Oct-12 13:02:04

Thanks ladies. They did a trace and all ok but are keeping me in for 24hrs because the internal exam showed lots of bloody mucus high up which they are worried could be a show & they Want to check there's no fresh red blood in next 24hrs. Very glad I came in to get checked!

Zara1984 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:05:30

That's the same thing that happened to me this week OP! Being kept in sucks but it's important to be monitored. You are in the very very best place right now and you and your baby will be well looked after. If you have concerns about ANYTHING call the midwife ASAP. I always showed them my maternity pad before I changed it so they could see what the bleeding was like.

Get your DP or someone to bring you in a good book and some nice snacks to make you feel better while you're there smile And keep updating on MN with your phone! We are all here rooting for you. MN kept me sane this week while in hospital.

Thinking of you! Hope you get to go home soon! thanks

Tugstonia Fri 19-Oct-12 21:45:06

Ah thanks so much ladies smile Am settled in & all the midwives are lovely and looking after me. I have books, mags and chocolate courtesy of DP who's just gone home.
Zara hope you're ok now? Sounds like you had a scare.
Will update tomorrow. Thank god for iPhones!

tiredteddy Fri 19-Oct-12 22:20:32

Glad you are comfy and they are looking after you. Well done to your DH too. Hope you get home soon with a clean bill of health.

Zara1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 15:54:51

Hooray for your DP! Hope everything is looking more stable today and you get to go home soon.

I am fine and stable thanks (except for my BP!) and now just willing this baby to come out of his own accord.... this week made me thoroughly fed up! 39+1 today and they'll let me go to 40+5 at the max before inducing.

Tugstonia Sat 20-Oct-12 17:20:09

Am still here, have to stay another night at least. Doctor thinks its my placenta causing the bleeding & will have a scan on monday. depending on outcome of that if it looks like risk of premature labour I'll have steroids for the baby's lungs. All a bit shit really. Mw said doctor is being super cautious and chance of preterm v low so hope that's the case!
Zara hope your bubs makes an appearance soon!

Zara1984 Sat 20-Oct-12 17:29:37

That news is definitely a bit scary but it's better that they're being overly cautious. They will examine the placenta very very carefully on ultrasound. They suspected placental abruption with my bleeding initially but also said that it can be fine if it stabilises ie just placenta comes off a little bit but no more.

Fingers crossed that everything looks stable and dull on the ultrasound and you just have weird unexplained bleeding like me!!

Keep trying to relax as best you can, get lots of hugs from your DP. Give a close friend a call for a quick chat too. And (not that I follow my own advice) resist the temptation of Dr Google. You will only drive yourself batshit crazy and convince yourself the worst is happening.

Zara1984 Mon 22-Oct-12 19:59:14

How did you get on today with your ultrasound OP? Thinking of you thanks

Tugstonia Tue 23-Oct-12 20:45:49

Thanks & sorry for not updating. I was discharged Sunday and then this morning had some more bleeding (but really small amount) so went straight back to hospital as instructed and they're keeping me in sad I'm even in the very same bed as before! Ultrasound showed that everything looks fine and normal with placenta (although said they can't tell if there are tiny abruptions), baby's growing fine & is happy, which is all good as means they've ruled things out, but bleeding is still unexplained so want to keep me in because its recurrent now. Going slightly doolally! Just keep thinking that surely if this happens again or keeps happening I can't keep spending a night or two in hospital. Doctor will come round tomorrow and i really really hope that if there's been no more bleeding they will say I can go home. Fingers and toes crossed!

Zara1984 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:11:16

Sorry to hear you've been readmitted sad they can't possibly keep you in hospital for the next 10 weeks! But it might be an annoying case of a night or two in hospital here and there, and more ultrasounds, when you have bleeds until you get to term?

Good that this latest bleed is only a small one and they couldn't pick anything up on the scan.

Had a sweep today and that doesn't seem to cause fresh bleeding - so my bleed remains a mystery, and baby is happy.... so weird! Hopefully it turns out to be the same thing for you!

Do you have a kindle? Or can you download the app on your phone? Could be a good opportunity to catch up on reading.....?

Tugstonia Tue 23-Oct-12 21:27:22

God if I have to stay ten weeks i'll lose the plot!! Although there's a woman who's been here 7 wks... I'm self employed so its a big problem if this keeps happening but I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I have some books to read and my mum said she'll lend me her kindle too. Great that you've not had any more bleeding and baby is happy smile hope you get to meet your bubs v soon!

Tugstonia Wed 24-Oct-12 14:56:48

Discharged again! And delighted to be home. I feel completely fine and reassured after the scan. I still have to call mw if I get more blood but I really really REALLY hope that's it on the bleeding front....

Any change after your sweep Zara?

Zara1984 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:21:08

Wonderful!!! So glad you're home now!! Was the phrase "home sweet home" ever truer?

All of my mucus plug has gone in the past few days (didn't realise quite how much of it there could be!). Am being induced on Saturday (at 40+1) if I don't go naturally before then...! Quite looking forward to it actually! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now