Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

25 week scan and doctor said there are traces of blood and protein in my sample- how bad is this?

(12 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Thu 18-Oct-12 18:17:11

The doctor didn't really say anything other than I need to phone in a week.

But, I googled and it came up with a long list of horrible causes.

How worried do I need to be?

Marmiteisyummy Thu 18-Oct-12 18:22:39

Do you mean urine sample? If so most likely a urine infection I'd have thought. Sorry you're haing to wait to find out. Good luck

backwardpossom Thu 18-Oct-12 18:28:26

If it was really serious, the doc wouldn't be waiting a week to do something about it. Sounds like it might be a urine infection. Hope all is well!

Pinkflipflop Thu 18-Oct-12 18:28:57

Yes, in urine sample.

Just a bit worried sad

CelineMcBean Thu 18-Oct-12 18:30:04

Probably not that bad at all. If you've recently been unwell it could be something left over as a result of infection. If you don't feel unwell and they're sending it off to the lab then you're probably fine smile

I had protein and sugar in my urine at a routine check up but it was due to the really horrendous kidney infection I'd had about 10 days previous - just to give you some perspective, by horrendous infection I mean I ended up in hospital on an antibiotic IV and scared everyone witless by going blue and having contractions!

The lab confirmed it was teeny amounts and nothing to worry about. The next times they checked they came back clear.

Now stop Googling illnesses. It will make you unwell!

yousankmybattleship Thu 18-Oct-12 18:30:46

DO NOT GOOGLE!!! If you're worried ring your doctor tomorrow and don't get off the phone until you've been given more information. Doctors should be giving this advice, not the Internet! Hope all is ok. Try not to stress too much (easily said I know).

Pinkflipflop Thu 18-Oct-12 18:45:45

Well I had a bad cold and cough recently, had to take a couple of days off work. Might this be a possible reason?

The first thing google threw up was bladder cancer.

CelineMcBean Thu 18-Oct-12 18:59:09

And that is why you shouldn't Google!

I would think a UTI or kidney infection is much more likely than bladder cancer.

Now I'm no medic, but I prescribe some crappy telly and something yummy to eat to take your mind off it until the results come back. If there's anything even remotely iffy you will probably get a call earlier from the GP.

mummy2benji Thu 18-Oct-12 20:26:05

It is very common to get protein and blood in a urine sample and in a young pregnant female I would not have any concerns about anything other than a urinary tract infection causing it (I'm a GP). The reason they haven't done anything to treat it right now is because you are presumably not unwell from it and having obvious symptoms, therefore it is more helpful to send your sample off to the lab to see if they grow an infection in it. If they do confirm infection (this takes a few days) they will test it with antibiotics so the GP knows which one to give you. If the lab doesn't grow an infection then you likely won't need antibiotics, they may just repeat your urine sample or test it again at your next midwife appointment. Urine dipstick tests are by no means 100% accurate and can give false results. Please don't worry! They should have explained this to you better so you would know there was nothing to be anxious about. Btw I'm 38+5 now and had 3 UTIs earlier in my pregnancy. x

dontlaugh Thu 18-Oct-12 20:33:09

Don't google, we all are dead or have some type of fatal illness according to that, there should be an automatic page that comes up when I people type in symptoms saying 'you are not dead, now stop googling'. I second the uti mn diagnosis. Get well soon!

Pinkflipflop Thu 18-Oct-12 21:18:29

I'm so thankful for the reassuring responses to my post.

I'm most likely worrying over nothing; I am so glad to have mumsnet.

Not googling anymore!

ShowOfBloodyStumps Thu 18-Oct-12 21:26:23

smile The overwhelming likelihood is that you have a uti. V common in pregnancy and this is how they discover it often. Had exactly the same thing twice in two different pregnancies.

Please don't worry. They sent you home precisely because it's not something requiring immediate attention. They'll let you know if they find something at the lab (and even then it's a case of just getting the antibiotics right) and in the meantime, stay hydrated and if you get any symptoms then see your gp for earlier antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now