Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

No ante-natal appointments between 33 and 38 weeks - normal??

(9 Posts)
ChimpMummy Thu 18-Oct-12 13:38:37

Hi all

This is my first baby, and I had a midwife check up at week 30, then a GP appointment at week 33, and I now don't have another appointment until my birth centre assessment at the Whittington in week 38 (meant to be week 36 but couldn't get anything earlier). Is this normal? I'm feeling a bit anxious to have a five week gap at this stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - should I contact my midwife to ask to get another appointment between now and then?

Thanks!

terilou87 Thu 18-Oct-12 13:43:11

i thought from 34 weeks it should be every two weeks. ring the midwife and explain the gap she mite book you another appointment between. im sure they need to be checking position and heart beat weight and fundus more in the last 2 months. x

Jollyb Thu 18-Oct-12 14:16:28

I think you should push to be seen sooner too. At this point in pregnancy they really should be keeping a closish eye on the baby's position, size and checking for prececlampsia. You don't want to get to 38 weeks and be diagnosed with a breech. Contact your supervisor of midwives if necessary. Good luck

WeeJo08 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:26:19

Hi ChimpMummy

I reckon I must be in the same area as you if you're going to the Whittington and I had/am having appointments at 31, 34, 36, 38 & 40 (there are two at week 36 as I have the birth centre assessment as well as my midwife appointment). I am currently 32+3. Maybe give your midwife a ring? My schedule of appointments (well, the weeks they happen at) is at the front of my maternity notes.

Enjoy smile

Jo

WeeJo08 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:26:51

PS This is my first baby too.

showtunesgirl Thu 18-Oct-12 15:34:11

Nope, that doesn't sound right. I was seen every two weeks by that point. I was at King's.

VeremyJyle Thu 18-Oct-12 18:12:30

I definitely think you should be seen before then, as previous poster said wrt positions, if baby is breech they can try to turn the baby, but by 38weeks baby will be even bigger sad

ChimpMummy Fri 19-Oct-12 14:12:42

Thank you for your responses ladies - it's really helpful to know what's 'normal', as when it's your first you don't really know, do you? My schedule does say I should be seen every two weeks at this stage, but you know what these things are like.

Seems like I'm entitled to make a fuss, so I shall do!

HowToChangeThis Fri 19-Oct-12 14:51:48

Yes, you will need to phone up and make them though or go to a drop in clinic. They won't take the lead and make the appointments for you. There should be a schedule at the front of your notes, call up and tell them you want to book your x weeks appt during the week beginning y. Book a couple at a time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: