Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta Previa and Maternity leave

(4 Posts)
NAR4 Thu 18-Oct-12 13:24:10

I was told at my 20 week scan that my placenta was over my cervix and I have to be re-scanned at 32 weeks to see if it has moved. I was intending to work up until my due date (this is my 5th pregnancy and I had to be induced with all my others, so feel early labour is unlikely).

My understanding is that it is not offically Placenta Previa unless it hasn't moved by my 32 week scan. Do I have to tell my employers?

I am currently 23 weeks, so need to put in my MATb1 form soon and tell my employers when I intend to start maternity leave. My concern is that if the placenta doesn't move, am I likely to have to stop work earlier and if so will I need to be signed off, as I will not know in advance to give 4 weeks notice to change my maternity leave?

My midwife hasn't given me any information, so I only know what I have read on the internet. Presume more info. will be given at 32 weeks if necessary.

Missingpate Thu 18-Oct-12 14:20:13

You don't have to tell them anything now and most do move so likely to be fine.
Mine didn't, and was grade 4. I didn't tell them until i started having bleeds from 29 weeks and being kept in hospital for a couple of days each Time. I'd planned on working up to two wks before my due date but in the end doctors advised stopping work early and staying home as we lived near hospital. So glad I did as was lucky enough to get a week at home before had another bleed and they refused to let me go home and had a section at 37 weeks.
Work were really understanding as there was no way of knowing what. Would happen. I missed a lot of time and felt better once the decision was made to formally stop work early as I used my hols and stopped worrying about work. It is hard having to drop everything and stay in hospital so if yours doesn't move do try and get baby stuff organised earlier just in case.
Good luck - it will prob move but if not they will look after you really well and a c section is fine honest!

NAR4 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:57:42

Thanks for the reassurance.

I think I will tell work I intend to work until my due date. Worst case that it doesn't move and I have to stop work earlier, then they will have to accept I couldn't have predicted it.

Polipencoch Thu 18-Oct-12 15:33:14

I wouldn't tell them at 25 weeks - I was in a similar situation. As far as I was concerned at 20 weeks I had a low placenta but it was likely to move. I was planning on working to 38 weeks, but at 34 week scan they decided to admit me to hospital (that was a week ago). It seems to me that they are quite precautionary here as there seem to be some people at other hospitals who bleed and then go home again a few times, but they want to keep me in for the duration. I'm not quite sure how this is working out with work - whether I have started my maternity leave or some of this is sick leave - as my employer is very small and they are working it out as they go along. But you don't have to give notice of starting your maternity leave if the baby just happens to come early, so its the same thing if you have medical problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now