Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else have a doppler

(15 Posts)
Ameliac28 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:26:14

My friend is letting me borrow her doppler till the baby is here and I'm so excited about going home tonight to use it! there is no other noise that satisfy's me more then hearing my baby's heartbeat smile does anyone else have one? I've promised myself not to obsess over it and use it all the time and to not panic myself if I can't find the heartbeat as I'm not a pro at this but would be lovely if it does all work x

18wksplus Thu 18-Oct-12 12:40:09

How many weeks are you? It's hard to hear it until about 14/15wks plus, depending on baby's position and where your placenta is. So you may well obsess. And don't panic if you can't find the heartbeat: there's a bit of a knack to it (anything around the 100/min mark is you btw!). But I love mine! Be warned though - some people are very opposed to them.....

Mixxy Thu 18-Oct-12 13:00:01

I can't feel my baby move with any regularity at 23 weeks and keep being told its nothing to worry about yet. So I caved and ordered a doppler and it should arrive today. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm not sold on the idea myself, but this is what happens when you have shitty health insurance (in the US).

minipie Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:34

I have a doppler, Angelsounds I think. I used it quite a lot between about 14 weeks (when I got it) and 23 weeks, not so much after that as I was feeling regular movements by then. It did take a while to find the hb sometimes.

Make sure you know what you're listening for. The baby's heartbeat sounds very fast, like a train or galloping horses. There is also a slower whoosh...whoosh sound which can be mistaken for the baby but is actually the placenta. Or you can hear your own heartbeat which again is a lot slower than the baby's.

At early stages of pregnancy the heartbeat is generally very low (or was for me), right down near the pubic area.

Dogsmom Thu 18-Oct-12 16:35:29

I've bought one off eBay that should be here within 48 hours, I've read that the heartbeat can be tricky to find especially early on.

I'm 19 weeks and had a midwife appt last week and she got the doppler out to listen, she put it very low down by my pubic hair and said 'baby will be down here tucked in' but couldn't hear anything, I told her that at my 16 week gender scan they put the scaner higher up and I can feel her kick higher and she said 'oh, well I'll try but they are usually lower' and she found the heartbeat staright away smile

I feel her kick about 2 inches under my belly button so if you struggle to find the heartbeat it may be higher than you expect.

Dannilion Thu 18-Oct-12 18:36:25

I ordered a doppler at 9 weeks and could find the heartbeat after a few days of trying. Had to keep reminding myself not to get worked up that I couldn't find it straight away, these things take time!

Am currently 16 weeks and get it out if I'm having a bad day. I can find the heartbeat immediately now and it's an instant mood brightener smile

MrsDonaldDraper Thu 18-Oct-12 18:40:12

I got a Doppler yesterday and found the heartbeat (well DH found it, I gave up). DH used a Video on YouTube!

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Thu 18-Oct-12 18:51:09

My friend is an obstetrician and has lent me hers. I've been using it from 10 weeks which has been very reassuring. This is dc3 though so my uterus was quite high from early on.

I find the baby's heartbeat to be very distinct from my own now I know what to listen for but my friend said that if in doubt feel your own pulse on your neck and see whether your pulse and the sound 'match'.

I love having it but I know I have the reassurance of having an expertly trained friend nearby, otherwise I think I might get obsessive and panic!

MrsDonaldDraper Thu 18-Oct-12 21:00:59

Sorry - meant o say I'm 9w6 today

Mixxy Fri 19-Oct-12 17:01:59

Mine arrived yesterday. It works, if that helps. Not sure how I should interpret a heart rate of 134... does that mean something. Probably should have listened to all the people who pointed out my lack of medical training.

LauraPalmerPlusOne Fri 19-Oct-12 18:22:42

I love my Doppler. I'm currently 23+6 and I've been using it since 15 wks. It was very calming to have the reassurance before I was feeling daily movements. (And it was particularly soothing last week when the baby hid and I couldn't feel him kicking, but knew from the Doppler that all was well in there!)

Re. 'the dangers' of non-professional Dopplering - honestly, you'd have to be a complete nincompoop to not be able to do it correctly. It's very obvious which sound is your baby's heartbeat, which sound is your placenta and which sound is your own heart. If you have any doubts there are a few good clips on YouTube that provide clear sound examples.

Enjoy your Doppler!

Ameliac28 Tue 23-Oct-12 10:34:39

Hi Ladies,

Well I used it and got the heartbeat straight away, it really cheers me up hearing that noise, my DH husband tried but he wasn't pushing down hard enough and he was scared he was going to hurt me lol!! We've had a bit of bad news in the family so I took it home with me at the weekend and let my Mum hear it and it really made her smile (and cry) I think it's defo nice to have if your having a rubbish day and need cheering up or just need some reassurance smile hope you all enjoy ur dopplers x

MyFartsSmellofDeath Tue 23-Oct-12 14:52:36

I got a doppler at 12 weeks and found the hearty beat 2nd time i did it. I'm now 23 weeks and use it rarely. It was hard to find some days and some days i didn't find it but knew it was because the baby was so far down in my pelvis.
They are brilliant if you don't get to stressed out by not finding it sometimes.
Good luck

weeblueberry Tue 23-Oct-12 15:29:45

Although I'm only 11+5, we bought a Doppler over the weekend to try when the time is right smile. Tried it last night just for a bit of fun but all that happened was I happened to get the gel all over my vajay. Unpleasant. wink

phoenixrose314 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:56:05

My sister bought us the AngelSounds Doppler when I was only about 8 weeks pregnant - we were really happy but I tried it several times to no avail.

Found out at 12wk scan that I have an anterior placenta (on the front) which means not only would I feel movements later, but that it acts as a soundproofing wall for the Doppler (well, the home ones anyways!)

Only just managed to hear heartbeat for first time last week (at 19 weeks) and hubby cried his eyes out.

Worth it if you can find the heartbeat - but seriously don't panic if you can't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now