Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after placental abruption

(6 Posts)
Sams4lo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:29:19

Has anyone had a pregnancy after a placental abruption? If so what extra care did you have during pregnancy? I'm very worried after dc4 was 6 wks prem and a crash section luckily he is a healthy 2yr old now smile
X

forpitysake Thu 18-Oct-12 11:45:29

I haven't had this but my mum did and my friend did.
I just wanted to let you know it's possible and all can be OK...

She had me first and I was apparently textbook labour & pregnancy but when it came to baby#2, she had placental abruption and baby was born by em section at 32wks. They were both ill for a while but both recovered fine.

Then she had baby#3 16 months later!! shock.
This was by now the late 70's.
Mum had to stay in hospital under observation for weeks and weeks before baby was induced at 38 wks as it looked like the same problem was going to happen again.
Again, they were both fine.

Like I said that was the 70s and I know someone who had a similar experience within the last 10years but there was no staying in hospital for weeks and weeks so I guess the treatment and medical thinking has changed and it will also depend on the individual too I suppose.
My friend was monitored closely with GP/midwife and consultant and had no problems at all as a result.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who have gone on and had a 2nd/3rd afterwards. I guess it's going to be a matter of making sure everyone is aware of what happened 1st time round.

TeaandHobnobs Thu 18-Oct-12 11:50:10

I haven't had a second pregnancy yet, but I had a debrief with the consultant after DS' birth at 31+5, and she said they would see me early in the next pregnancy to decide whether to put me on aspirin, and do an extra Doppler scan at 20 weeks to check blood flow through the placenta, as that can sometimes show if problems may be ahead.

However mine was quite a minor abruption (in fact they are not 100% sure that it was, it's just a educated guess) an she said it probably wouldn't happen again.

Good luck OP, I hope all will be fine smile

ledlights Thu 18-Oct-12 12:31:35

Pregnancy #1: completely normal/low risk pregnancy, at 39 weeks definite/dramatic placental abruption, emergency section. Pregnancy #2: early consultant appointment at 7 weeks, medication (5mg folic acid + 75mg aspirin + pregnancy vitamin daily for the duration of pregnancy), normal/usual scans (ie. no extras), elective section at 39 weeks. Obviously completely depends on case by case basis but early consultant appointment will advise.

LunaticFringe Thu 18-Oct-12 12:42:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sams4lo Thu 18-Oct-12 13:32:38

Thank you so much for all your wonderful words of encouragement, I think I needed to know what extra care will be given. When I had the others I had gestational diabetes and preeclampsia so they said last time I need aspirin from 12 wks and had the Doppler scan with dc4 and it should problems, but they said not to worry as its normal to have that when you have preeclampsia sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now