Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whopping cough?

(9 Posts)
TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 17-Oct-12 18:15:33

My mum has whooping cough. She started on Friday with a cough which sounded like the cough dd3 has. She's been diagnosed today.Mum has been really ill with it where as dd3 has a cough and a snotty nose but apart from a bit of tiredness is bouncing.

What's the likelihood of dd3 having it?
What risk is it to me if I had it as a child and haven't caught it so far?

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 17-Oct-12 18:17:56

Why are you asking on this board? If you're pregnant get the jab asap if you're over 28 weeks. If your dd has been around your mum recently go to the GP asap.

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 17-Oct-12 18:20:50

I'm not over 28 weeks.
I've only just found out so can't see GP until tomorrow. She saw GP on Saturday who said he couldn't see anything ( coughing mainly at night).

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 17-Oct-12 18:27:04

Bollocks I've spelt whooping wrong blush

NarcolepsyQueen Wed 17-Oct-12 18:32:11

You don't need to do anything at all. It doesn't matter if you get it now. The jab is given towards the end of pregnancy as it crosses the placenta, so is thought to give the baby some protection until it is old enough for its first jabs. It is unpleasant to get it as an adult or a child, but not usually dangerous in the same way as it would be for a new baby who hasn't been immunised.

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 17-Oct-12 18:34:22

Thanks smile

NarcolepsyQueen Wed 17-Oct-12 18:46:52

Welcome! I had my jab today. It is a dip, tet, polio and whooping cough jab combined. Same as the babies have.

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 17-Oct-12 19:08:14

I can't have it yet though. No objection to it just I'm only 19 weeks!

TheAngelsHaveTheOod Thu 18-Oct-12 13:13:40

They won't jab me yet but am not showing any signs. Dd3 has been jabbed so if she has it it's mild. Mum been told there's loads about in diagnosed as its difficult to diagnose without hearing the cough.plus lots of Drs haven't seen it.
Dh is taking dd3 to dr tomorrow to get checked without having to speak to OOH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now