Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sorry but browny greeny discharge on due date - ok or cause for concern?

(36 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 17-Oct-12 09:50:40

Sorry for starting a thread on discharge everyone, but what do you think? I've been getting a lot of discharge and have finally got round to buying some pads instead of constantly changing pants(!) and I'm a bit concerned that what's appearing is a green/brown colour.

Has anyone had this or does anyone think I need to worry or call anyone?

Thanks

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 17-Oct-12 09:52:51

I'd call your midwife, or you'll just keep worrying about it :-)

WitchesTit Wed 17-Oct-12 09:55:10

Don't want to alarm you but you should definitely Call your midwife, the greeny brown fluid could be meconium from your waters leaking.

Meconium in the amniotic fluid could indicate a distressed baby so you need to get it checked.

AlisonDB Wed 17-Oct-12 10:42:03

Phone your midwife now!
As witches says, brown/green discharge could be meconium in the Fluid,
Which can be very dangerous to your baby if he/she swallows it!
Good luck keep us posted! X

StormyWeek Wed 17-Oct-12 10:46:39

I had this when 10 days overdue. It's meconium, baby poo, and I was brought in and induced, didn't have the baby for another 36 hours, so they didn't think it was that urgent!

WitchesTit Wed 17-Oct-12 10:49:57

Hope everything's ok Whoa and you've made arrangements to see the midwife. Let us know how you get on.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Wed 17-Oct-12 10:51:21

Just a thought: could it be your show by any chance? The "show" part for me was greeny yellow and often it's blood tinged (so browny red), but the texture is y'know, slimy, not liquid, so that might give you an idea! Good luck!

MousyMouse Wed 17-Oct-12 10:52:47

call the midwife.
the show should be reddish/clear/yellowy (like custard with strawberry sauce).
green is never good.

and take your bag wink
good luck!

MousyMouse Wed 17-Oct-12 10:59:23

and if you can't reach the midwife all labour ward.

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 17-Oct-12 12:50:23

Waiting for mw to call back but will ring labour ward if she doesn't call me in the next hour or so...

AlisonDB Wed 17-Oct-12 12:53:49

I really wouldn't be waiting, I'd actually go to the hospital.
My niece was seriously ill after swallowing meconium!
So maybe I'm just a bit paranoid but I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Zoonose Wed 17-Oct-12 12:54:31

I would absolutely call the duty midwife on labour ward now while waiting for your mw - I think it would be a good idea to speak to any midwife asap and tell them. I would expect them to want you to go in and be checked out. Hope all is OK.

coffeeinbed Wed 17-Oct-12 12:56:47

It's the waters.
Call the ward.

Portofino Wed 17-Oct-12 12:56:59

I really would go to the hospital too, taking your bag. xxx

Passmethecrisps Wed 17-Oct-12 12:58:33

Can I jump in and ask how much? I have noticed the tiniest colouration in my discharge for the last couple of days - greeny brown spots really. But it is tiny and never appears on the toilet paper just on my knickers. I am 37 today.

coffeeinbed Wed 17-Oct-12 13:00:29

Passmethecrisps, I'd ring your midwife as well, in your place.

Passmethecrisps Wed 17-Oct-12 13:01:25

Hmm. Think I might just to be certain. What did we do before mumsnet?

dizzy77 Wed 17-Oct-12 13:06:16

I had this and went to the delivery suite triage to get it checked as I was worried it was meconium. It was show, sludgy browny greeny not the clear/yellowy/pinky I'd been promised. It looked like something off a farm. I second other posters who say get it checked out. The first fun part of childbirth: showing your maternity pad for a midwife to examine!

Passmethecrisps Wed 17-Oct-12 13:12:24

Right. I just called and was told mine is likely to be old blood. It is tiny flecks of brown in normal white discharge. Midwife told me I would be soaking pads and/or the discharge would be a horrible dark sludgy brown.

I will wear pads for the next few days just to monitor that it doesn't get worse.

Hope you are ok whoa

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 17-Oct-12 13:14:00

Well just spoken to a very nice midwife who asked lots of questions, mainly trying to establish whether it was discharge or water. It's definitely discharge (it's my second so I know what to expect re. waters) so she said just to monitor it and call back if I was concerned or it increased or turned into waters that were discoloured.

Thanks everyone for the advice and concern.

straighttohellymelly Wed 17-Oct-12 13:14:17

keep us posted op, good luck.

WitchesTit Wed 17-Oct-12 15:39:05

Bet that's a relief whoa, yes keep us posted, won't be long now!

Spice17 Wed 17-Oct-12 18:25:16

My waters broke this morning and were brown with green snotlike stuff in, sorry tmi. Defo waters (with meconium in) and I've been waiting to be induced since i got to hospital at 9 this morning. Good luck, hope was all fine.

AlisonDB Wed 17-Oct-12 18:35:30

Good luck Spice! x

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Wed 17-Oct-12 18:58:45

Good luck Spice, let us know how you get on! Was actually desperately hoping they'd want to see me and maybe at least do a sweep but no joy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now