Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose tolerance test....what to expect?

(22 Posts)
nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 18:50:30

Im NBM from 10pm tonight for GTT tomorrow at 9.30am.
I presumed it was a quick blood test, then carry on..but some one has told me, i cant do ANYTHING for 3 hours, got to drink a drink then go back for another blood test.

For those 3 hours...what do i do? Surely they dont want you to hang around for 3 hours do they?

I have got to get back to work as i'm rediculously busy...will they let me go back to work to do computery admin stuff..nothing strenuous??

snickers251 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:56:24

Yes they do make you wait around although it was only 2 hrs for me xxx

LimeLeafLizard Tue 16-Oct-12 18:58:13

Watching as I have a GTT in a few weeks time.

I was told I'd have to wait 2 hours too. I was also told by SIL (who has had GTTs previously) that I won't be up to doing much in the 2 hours, because of being hungry / tired having not eaten since the night before.

snickers251 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:04:48

Sorry was a bit quick to post as its bedtime here lol

They do make you wait and from what I remember the dont like you to do much whilst your there, I was told not to bring my toddler with me as I had to rest during those two hours, not sure why but am sure someone will be along soon to explain xxx

nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 19:05:51

AAaaaah i cant be sitting around for 2 hours!!!
I have got too much to do.

Think i will negotiate with them as i work at the hospital where they are taking my blood...i can go to the hospital library literally across the road and do some work for a couple of hours..there aint no action in a library is there surely?????

nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 19:07:09

see now snickers...i need a snickers bar and will dream of snickers bars all night now.... gahhhhhh.

Excersize/activity affects the results apparently.

CitrusyOne Tue 16-Oct-12 19:09:56

I had one a few weeks ago and I had to wait two hours between blood tests- I was able to go away and do whatever I wanted. They suggested I go shopping so they clearly weren't bothered about me resting. In the end I went home cos I'm not far from hospital and it broke the time up. I expected to feel rubbish for having not eaten but honestly it wasn't too bad at all. I did have quite an upset stomach on the evening though which I put down to drinking all that lucozade on an empty stomach. Sounds like it depends where you are in the country as to what they let you do n between?

nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 19:13:26

Ahhh great, will negotiate..

2 hours of quiet to do my work in the library..WITHOUT interuption is just bliss for me......if i go back to work i will be harrassed and hassled, so it will be the best place by far gringrin

GummiberryJuice Tue 16-Oct-12 19:14:10

Mine is at Christmas midwife told me to make sure I brought a good book, or I could sit and watch tv, allow a couple hours she said.
Although I'm nbm from midnight and have to be there at 8.30

BigW Tue 16-Oct-12 19:14:44

I had mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a blood test, then some squash and I had to go back for another blood test two hours later. They said I was not allowed to leave hospital premises though. I worked on my BB. can you take work with you?

nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 19:18:22

I dont have a laptop that i can log into the hospital system and i need to do that really to do my work.

Unless they let me use one of their computers. Library is litterally 100 yards from the womens centre.

ALSO can i take my vitamins/folic acid and asprin in the morning with water??? REALLY dont want to miss these????

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 19:43:31

No, take them later in the morning after your test.

nananaps Tue 16-Oct-12 19:48:59

Will take them when i get home in the evening, wont matter for one day to take them later.

Thanks girls
REALLY need a snickers bar grin

CitrusyOne Tue 16-Oct-12 20:14:01

The lucozade I had to drink gave me heartburn and I couldn't have a rennie. Plus, I'd convinced myself I had GD and then the results were clear- it was almost an anti climax!

tickle33 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:19:00

I had one and had to rest for the 3 hours. The reason being I was told is that the more you do the quicker the glucose breaks down in your system which can affect the results. Exercise burns the glucose up and what they want to see is how fast your body breaks the glucose down without 'help' to get an accurate result. I hate the taste of lucozade and couldn't believe I had to buy the disgusting stuff to drink, couldn't get rid of the taste for ages and it turns out that I didn't have gd

Lora1982 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:21:26

good luck. i celebrated my all cllear with loads of those jelly belly sweets... although i think if i had it the diet would have done wonders for me

chickenspots Tue 16-Oct-12 22:34:01

I had the test 5 weeks ago and wasn't allowed to leave the blood testing area. Had to wait 2 hours between the two tests and the drink was vile. I like lucozade but this was really syrupy stuff like partially dissolved jelly cubes and yes it gave me heartburn too. Arranged childcare for my toddler as she would have been climbing the walls. I felt wobbly for the rest of the day after fasting and the weird drink. I was told NBM from 9pm and to be at the hospital for 9am although it was 9.30 before I was called for my drink.

ContinentalKat Tue 16-Oct-12 22:40:25

Had a gtt in both pregnancies. Can't remember how long I had to wait around, only that the 2nd time round I took a ham sandwich and bottle of water with me for after. I felt quite sick after consuming all that sugar. Good luck!

mumnosbest Tue 16-Oct-12 22:45:01

i had to wait 3.5 hrs and was sooooooo bored. take a snack for after. i felt so tired and lightheaded by the end. good luck!

crazynanna Tue 16-Oct-12 22:48:48

We use Lucozade for our GTTs (am a phlebotomist)

tickle did you have to provide your own Lucozade? We give it free.

nananaps Thu 18-Oct-12 19:42:27

All done and dusted and all normal!

Went to the library and did some work for a couple of hours before going back.

Unsurprisingly, they struggled to get blood because i was SO dry!
Got HUGE bruises for my efforts sad

CitrusyOne Thu 18-Oct-12 21:54:20

Glad all is well for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now