Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it normal to feel destroyed by the gym at this stage?

(13 Posts)
utopian99 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:27:00

Hi
First dc and 31+4 and finding even 40 mins gentle treadmill is leaving me feeling utterly knackered ! Is this normal at this stage? was regularly running before i got pregnant so haven't introduced anything new, and not going for it very hard. I really don't want to give up though as there are so many advantages to excercise in pregnancy and swimming seems like a major faff

DangerMousey Tue 16-Oct-12 18:43:04

Bloody hell! Good on you girl! I am sea impressed you are still doing ANY time on the treadmill. I am 33 weeks and have not done any ''proper' exercise since about 12 weeks (and I used to go to 2 or 3 hardcore cardio classes every week before pregnancy).

I now feel utterly knackered by a 10 minute gentle walk to the shops!

Take it a little easier and listen to your body I say. Anything that means you're upright and mobile rather than lying on the sofa is a bonus AFAIK!

mrsbugsywugsy Tue 16-Oct-12 19:24:20

Wow, you're on the treadmill at 31 weeks shock

I'm 25 weeks and have already started to take the lift two floors at work...

I started to feel less fit almost straight away tbh. Early on I suffered from tiredness and morning sickness so I couldn't face exercise, and I've never got back into the habit.

Leftwingharpie Tue 16-Oct-12 19:46:43

Good lord I kept up my gym sessions for about the first six weeks and then suddenly found I couldn't walk up the stairs and have done almost nothing ever since. At least by this stage you have an excuse as your baby will be encroaching on your lungs!

WerewolvesDoTheFandango Tue 16-Oct-12 21:03:47

Hi utopian, I was very fit beforehand and found that by 26 weeks I had to give up my Zumba. I did aquanatal this week (30+1) and was very tired afterwards. I would say it's completely normal to be knackered on a treadmill and suggest a sit down and a slice of cake as an alternative!

panicnotanymore Wed 17-Oct-12 09:03:03

Totally normal! I was super fit and hyper active pre-pregnancy, but now at 21 weeks I would no more go near a treadmill than try out sky diving.

Have you tired power walking outside? The fresh air is much more invigorating than in a gym, and I feel tired in a nice way not a knackered way afterwards. If you think about it carrying the baby is a bit like a workout with weights so everything you do now is harder work than before.

mummy2benji Wed 17-Oct-12 09:47:29

Ha yes I agree with all of the above! I have a gym membership and like to swim too and keep fit but at 38+4 I am making excuses to drive the school run (school is just down the road). For weeks now just walking upstairs has made me tired! Good on you for managing the treadmill still, but if it's making you exhausted I would cut it down a bit - as said above, your workouts are harder because you are carrying an extra weight in there, not to mention all the hormones that make you tired.

utopian99 Wed 17-Oct-12 10:43:01

thanks! I don't feel like such a cop out if I know it's not just me.. may swap to stiff walks everywhere for a bit. the tiredness is only recent but it's come out of the blue and hit me like train...

NorthWhittering Wed 17-Oct-12 10:49:15

Have you had your iron levels checked recently? Could be a bit anaemic?

notyummy Wed 17-Oct-12 11:01:58

AS others have said, it really is about listening to your body. I am tall so didn't have a massive bump. I think this allowed me to continue exercising throughout as I didn't have an issue balancing!! At your stage I was still on the treadmill but walking quickly/uphill rather than running. Did my final 10 k run (road race!) at 26 weeks and then retired from running for the rest of the pregnancy. If you are running then perhaps you could walk briskly instead? I also did pregnancy aqua aerobics, a pregnancy pilates DVD and maintained light weights (squats etc) and exercise bik/crosstrainer sessions throughout. But this felt ok for me - it might not for someone else. It certainly meant that i didnt have work to hard to regain my fitness afterwards, which was quite important to me.

happygonicky Wed 17-Oct-12 11:09:53

Hello,

I'm running same amount (outdoors) at 29 weeks and am knackered. It's not just you!

CaseyShraeger Wed 17-Oct-12 11:18:09

Have you looked at a diagram of what's happened to your internal organs (including lungs) by now? You may feel better if you switch to something less aerobically demanding for the moment.

panicnotanymore Wed 17-Oct-12 21:39:52

One thing I've noticed is if I over do it the baby stops moving. That alone has been enough to make me cut back and rest more. She normally kicks quite a lot in the evening, but on days I've rushed about... nothing. It scares me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now