Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baby engaged - likely to labour soon or means nothing?!

(10 Posts)
ThreeWheelsGood Tue 16-Oct-12 17:55:10

So I had an antenatal appointment today and the GP told me the head's engaged. I'm 38 Weeks, this is my first baby. Had mild period cramps over the last couple of days - anyone reckon it's going to kick off soon or am I being optimistic? Really don't want to go overdue, SO ready to meet baby!

Doodlekitty Tue 16-Oct-12 17:57:20

I'm 38+4 and baby was 2/5 engaged on Friday and 3/5 the Friday before. Was in agony with period type cramps yesterday but back to usual today, so I'm not holding my breath. Sorry

Pascha Tue 16-Oct-12 17:57:55

Means very little TBH. You might see the baby in a few hours or days or you could just as likely go overdue.

ThreeWheelsGood Tue 16-Oct-12 18:02:18

Bah, I suspected as much from a cursory Google search.. Fingers crossed for us both Doodlekitty!

BiscuitNibbler Tue 16-Oct-12 18:04:32

I was the same, but sorry to say I was eventually induced and had DD at 40+14.

KentuckyFriedChildren Tue 16-Oct-12 18:07:26

I was engaged from 28 weeks in all 3 pgs. Ds born 32wks, dd 34wks and this one is still cooking (34wks). Means nowt.

ThreeWheelsGood Tue 16-Oct-12 18:09:03

Thanks guys, I won't get my hopes up. no way of predicting it I guess!

EBDTeacher Tue 16-Oct-12 18:12:21

Make sure you count your kicks from now on though. smile

madda Tue 16-Oct-12 18:18:51

well, head engaged for 2 or3 weeks with both of mine, then boooom! first born at 39 weeks, 2nd born at 37 weeks

fast straightforward deliveries, panadol for pain relief

good luck op

if youre having cramping, it's all good signs, your body is preparing itself.

keep drinking water and walking lots in the next few days to keep the baby in that good position (it helped me anyhow)

ps are you taking raspberry leaf tablets? I sincerely recommend them (ripening of the cervix) made such a difference with my 2nd labour

mummy2benji Tue 16-Oct-12 20:29:16

I am 38+3 and baby's head was engaged when I last saw the midwife 11 days ago. Lots of BH and bump can get pretty achey but she isn't showing signs of coming out just yet. Ds was engaged for a couple of weeks then arrived at 39+4. Some women can have baby engaged for weeks before going into labour, and other times baby's head may not engage until just before labour starts. So impossible to predict unfortunately! But - it's still good news as it means baby is in the right position when labour does begin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now