Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Independent midwives

(13 Posts)
nobodyreally Tue 16-Oct-12 16:04:04

Does anyone know off thd top of their heads or from experience, how much am independent mw is?

Don't die of shock, dh and I are planning a new addition to our already v large family in thd next few years and want to build the cost into the plan?

I've had 5 babies so far and really need independent backing to private antenatal care to suit my already v busy life. I'm sure independent midwifery Is the right route for us teamed with a homebirth.

Just wondered if any of you blooming ladies is taking the same route, experience and cost involved?

Thanks in advance smile

learnermummy Tue 16-Oct-12 16:14:39

Hi there,
I had a homebirth with an independent midwife last time and it was a great experience. I really got to know both the midwifes who were at the delivery. That was down in Surrey and cost around £3000 for antenatal and postnatal. Am now in Lincolnshire and it seems cheaper up here.
Hope that helps.

nobodyreally Tue 16-Oct-12 16:31:06

Thankyou that sounds about just about affordable. smile I'm in Sussex, so my guess is similar pricing. I've also had 2 homebirths which were by far better than my hosp experiences but I think I'm pushing my luck if the nhs will agree to a 6th at home. The nhs mw didn't believe I was in labour last time and only made it with 5 mind to spare. It was quite stressful. I'm sure an independent mw would give me the benefit of doubt on number 6. wink

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 16-Oct-12 17:50:31

here its about 3K, but you can also get just pre or just post natal care for just over 1K, and there are one off hourly fees too

I can't afford one but would if I could, so comprimised by having a 1:1 antenatal day with an IM, and will also go to some of their other sessions, plus a doula

so there is flexibility re. cost

I like that you can shop around for one that suits you! plus having someone come to us on a day that suits was the only way DH could be involved really this time round

nobodyreally Tue 16-Oct-12 19:10:49

Yes i love the idea of them coming to ante natal apts to suit me and dh. It would make ante natal care far nicer. Can imws do the relevant blood tests too??

I had a doula on my 4th and she was fab. I don't think I'd need one next time as my mum practically delivered the last baby as mw couldn't be bothered to turn up!! As long as she's still fit by then.

Well I've some time to save up so I think it's definitely money well spent and well saved. That is unless we have any happy accidents in between!!

BoffinMum Tue 16-Oct-12 19:25:46

I've done it twice with independent MWs, once in hospital, and once with an NHS MW who offered such a bespoke service she might as well have been independent. Costs about £3k but it very much worth it, I think. Mine were brilliant.

nobodyreally Tue 16-Oct-12 19:32:55

I needlessly had such an awful pg last time around. The problem is I've been a mum fir 15 years and I know how my body copes best. I'm not very good at being told what to do! And the nhs's view of how a labour happens, well I just don't fit Into their ideal. Waters breaking, contractions etc. I simply get a feeling and decide the baby's coming, my waters never break until the end and one of my babies was born in his bag of waters.

I'm so glad that there is an alternative. It's a shame we have to pay for a better standard of care. But I think it's going to be very much worth it.

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 16-Oct-12 19:36:33

"I'm so glad that there is an alternative"

yes, but apparently the current gov is trying to get rid of IMs by Oct '13 angry

I did sign a petition but can't find it at the mo

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 16-Oct-12 19:39:33

but am sure that anyone interested in finding out more about the treats and what they can do to help would get an answer on here: www.facebook.com/groups/231153153595704/?fref=ts

it's total madness!

nobodyreally Tue 16-Oct-12 21:03:13

Really??? Oh god I had no idea they were trying to abolish them! We weren't planning to have a baby quite that quickly. sadsadsad

clickingtock Wed 17-Oct-12 12:49:24

Hi there

I had my first (at 38) with an IM at home. She charged about £3K (SE London) and came regularly to my house from 20wks. She didn't really believe that I was in established labour though and the baby had crowned by the time she arrived. Having said that; I think I preferred just getting on with as much as possible on my own. She was out of the door after 3 hours and it was a great, peaceful, empowering experience. I was quite overdue (15 days by scan date but more like 10 by my own cycles) and I think the NHS might have tried to induce me which would have ended in a hospital birth IMHO.

It sounds like it's what you want so hopefully you could pay for her just at the birth (around 1K)? No need for a doula as IM is kind of everything rolled into one person. smile

I'm 28wks with pg2 now (and nearly 41) and I've been thinking of an NHS homebirth (and had lots of reassurance from the NHS that they will go for it) but I'm feeling a bit wobbily about whether I can trust them... Am beginning to wonder if it's worth digging into the savings for peace of mind..? Would welcome your thoughts...

Cheers, everyone and good luck with your ongoing PG OP.

halloweeneyqueeney Wed 17-Oct-12 16:57:27

clicking, IMO the NHS prob IS keen on supporting your home birth because you've had a good one already

HOWEVER, if you feel wobbly about their support in your own mind you'll be taking that anxiety into your early labour which will affect how you cope with the pain... lessening your chances of success IYKWIM, so for that it might be worth it. Your head has to be in the right place for labour which is where having an IM probably increases your success in having a HB, worrying if the NHS staff on duty will be on board, even though I think in your case they will be, might be a bit of a problem

clickingtock Thu 18-Oct-12 07:18:57

Thanks Queeney - the reasons you give are exactly why I opted for an IM in the first pg <and am v lucky to have saved up the cash for it> and worked. I think I should give the NHS a chance though, at least while everything is going well.

Hypnobirthing was a marvel for me, in fact I would say that labour wasn't painful just mindblowing; I will be v chuffed if I can pull a second birth like that off, and hopefully it's the way to cope and trust the NHS.

All best everyone - I hope I didn't hijack this fred but sorry if I did. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now