Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby in frank breech position - slinging after birth?

(10 Posts)
monopod Tue 16-Oct-12 08:45:19

Hello smile

My little one (DC2) has been in a frank breech position since at least 28 weeks (ELCS scheduled for this Friday!) and I've been told that this makes her more at risk of hip dysplasia and that it may take a longer time for her to straighten out after birth (legs may have a tendency to go up around her ears, etc.)

I was hoping to get out and about a bit more and a bit earlier than I did with DC1 and would prefer slinging to faffing about with heavy prams/strollers. I was wondering however whether the breech positioning might make this a bit of a problem or whether there was anything I would need to take particular account of?

FWIW I have a Cuddly Wrap and was intending to purchase a Manduca or Connecta for when baby is slightly older/bigger.

Thank you for any advice smile

misdee Tue 16-Oct-12 08:46:49

www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

a good carrier is ideal for babies hip health.

misdee Tue 16-Oct-12 08:47:10

the ones you have are ideal

Pascha Tue 16-Oct-12 08:51:19

DS was frank breech for much of my pregnancy. I used a connecta from about 3 weeks I think with no hip problems. In fact when we went for his hip scan at 6 weeks and I arrived in the connecta they all said it was the best thing for him.

pinxminx Tue 16-Oct-12 08:52:09

My DS was just the same. After birth his hips were checked, then at 2 months they were scanned to be sure there were no problems. I used a soft carrier to start with and then a manduca as he has grown. I did check with the dr and they didn't think there would be a problem. He is now 1 and very active!
Good luck on Friday

shelley72 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:01:40

DD was footling breech (so slightly different) but we used a sling with no problems, in fact it meant that i was able to keep her legs frog leg style as was recommended by dr after her initial hip scan (she was also double nappied). After her third scan they were happy with her hip and we were discharged. Now as a very busy 2 year old you would never know there was an issue.
Good luck with your ELCS and enjoy those newborn snuggles <broody emoticon> smile

monopod Tue 16-Oct-12 09:09:44

Thank you all so much for your replies and good wishes - I have been reassured!

Do any of you happen to have experience with swaddling your breech babies too (the next thing I am researching grin)? We found it very helpful with DC1 and from what I've read it seems to be ok as long as you don't tightly wrap the hips and legs?

shelley72 - never heard of double nappying?? Must go have a Google...

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 09:22:52

Good link for demonstration of safe swaddling.

shelley72 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:31:15

double nappying - just putting two nappies on to keep the legs splayed out to encourage the hips to go back to the correct angle - or so i was told at the hospital but i am in no way medically qualified!

and as for swaddling - the maternity assistant swaddled DD the first night as she was screaming the place down and other mothers were getting no sleep and DD hated it. i have since read (again i am not qualified) that this isnt the best thing for breech babies if it is done very tightly. thankfully we were home the next day so didnt have to try again!

monopod Tue 16-Oct-12 09:36:01

Thank you again shelley72! SlightlySuperiorPeasant - thank you for the link smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now