Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chance of mmc after 12 weeks?

(6 Posts)
itsmyfirsteek Tue 16-Oct-12 07:22:21

I had my 12 week scan last week, I am now 13 weeks. The paranoia hasn't gone away and wondered if anyone knew the stats for a mmc after this point?

allchik Tue 16-Oct-12 07:39:55

I was told by GP that after a good 12wk scan ur odds are the same as being full term (99% all will be ok) of course,sadly people will fall into that 1% but things do look VERY good for u smile
I had a mmc in Feb at 13wks but hadnt had scan yet n baby had died at 7 am now 28 wks and still panic! (guess thats t role of being a mum!) all the best and congrats x x x

philbee Tue 16-Oct-12 10:26:40

Oh itsmyfirst, I feel the same as you. I am 14 weeks and had a mmc last year. It was a blighted ovum, so the baby hadn't developed at all, but I didn't start bleeding until 12+1, so I am still very jittery, despite a scan at 11+2 and 13+2 which were both fine. I really thought after the scan I'd feel better, but I still feel very nervous telling people I'm pg.

The Miscarriage Association website says this:

'Research has shown that if you see a heartbeat at 6 weeks of pregnancy, the chances of the pregnancy continuing are 78%.

A heartbeat at 8 weeks increases the chance of a continuing pregnancy to 98% and at 10 weeks that goes up to 99.4%.

So things could still go wrong and sadly sometimes do, but as long as there is a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage decreases as the weeks go by.'

http://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/information/ultrasound-scans/

I found that helpful, although as they say there has to be someone who falls into the 0.6%. But the chances are very good. I think that once you can feel movements the worry recedes as you can feel that the baby's OK in there. With DD that was about 16 weeks for me. This one I sometimes think I can feel wiggling in there, but I'm not sure, and have an anterior placenta, so am aware that it takes longer to feel the movements.

Take care, take each day at a time, try not to worry. That's what I'm trying to do! smile

sundaesundae Tue 16-Oct-12 10:32:38

I was talking to OH about this, when you first get preggo you think, right 8 weeks, (or past the point of a previous mc) that's good...but

12 weeks, see bubba and hb and again great, tell people, chances excellent, but...

16 ish weeks + start feeling bubba ... great but....

20 weeks - you come through the anomaly scan, all clear and bubba is dancing... great but....

24 weeks - viability reached.... great.... but.....

I think most people think they will reach a milestone and relax completely, I don't think it really happens until your baby arrives and is in your arms. You do relax a bit, but for me I think I will worry a tiny bit until it is here. I am only 17 and a half weeks, so that is a long long time away

philbee Tue 16-Oct-12 10:49:56

sundaesundae that's completely true. When I was near the end with DD I worried about stillbirth, after she was born about cot death, then about accidents when she was crawling. Now she's at school I worry about accidents, meningitis, stranger danger etc. It doesn't go away really, but I suppose you do what you can to manage it.

itsmyfirsteek Tue 16-Oct-12 11:50:19

Thank you so much for all your comments ladies, you really have helped smile xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now