Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

movicol ? 23 weeks worried

(10 Posts)
spandau1980 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:32:00

anyone taken movicol in pregnancy
took two sachets now another doc saying not to take...worried

SkinnyMarinkADink Mon 15-Oct-12 18:16:17

Try not to worry.

I was in hospital for severe constitution and dehydration.

I was written movical on repeat prescription and my midwife still asks if i am taking it every day am 25 weeks now.

spandau1980 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:19:39

cool thankyou. iv got constipation soooo bad that i was in hospital over weekend with such bad pains luckily wasn't anything bad... other than can't go...it make s u so ill.. never experienced this ever!

terilou87 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:21:11

hi i didnt want your thread to go unansered, iv just looked up movicol and it isn#t something that your body will absorb so it isn't passed to your baby.the pregnancy bit says "The safety of this medicine for use during pregnancy has not been established. It is not recommended for use in pregnancy unless considered essential by your doctor. Seek medical advice from your doctor." so to me that means it hasn't been tested on pregnant women. because it isn't absorbed i wouldn't worry too much just avoid taking any more.

terilou87 Mon 15-Oct-12 18:21:55

must of been writing while skinny was ansering lol

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Oct-12 18:39:56

I took it 9 weeks (also hospitalised in terrible pain) intermittently to about 20 weeks. No probe, apart from the constipation.

SkinnyMarinkADink Mon 15-Oct-12 21:27:48

Constipation is horrific. the pain of going to the toilet after being constipated is on par with child birth i would say.

i have suffered terribly this time, i also had to self catheterise at home as nothing was working in there. my top tips-

2x movical one when you wake up and one just before bed.

Drink water all of the time, never have an empty glass. i do a 6 pack of buxton 1.5litre bottles a week since being in hospital this has helped hugely.

have a cup of tea with your breakfast, for some reason if i wake up and drink a huge mug of tea i go to the toilet just after

2x plums per day keeps the poo on its way. Religiously i eat 2 plums every day only since having problems and again it works.

Even if you don't feel like you need a poo sit on the toilet for a minimum of 20 minutes at some point during the day, don't distract yourself reading just sit there very straight backed, if you have a stool to put your legs up on do so, our natural way of going to the toilet is our knees at hip height. again this works, even a tiny drop of poo keeps the bowels moving.

MB34 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:35:32

I've was taking movicol for about 6 years before I became pregnant, but stopped when I found out I was. Although I had read on here that people had taken it throughout pregnancy, I wanted my doctor to tell me it was ok.

The first doctor I saw said to not take it - to take lactulose instead but I was in agony most of the time as that didn't work. I went to get a second opinion and that doctor said he didn't know why I was advised not to take it in the first place and put me back on it! I've been taking it since about 24 weeks and now I'm 36 weeks.

I think they say not to take it as it hasn't actually been tested on pregnant women not because of any bad side effects. It only draws water into the bowel so doesn't affect anything to do with the baby. But like many other things during pregnancy, it's up to you to make the decision whether to take it or not.

HTH

spandau1980 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:28:54

thanks everyone... so desperate to go.. surely that ain't good for baby either... nightmare... gonna try lactalose and see if that wks ..
wats time frame for that? x

SkinnyMarinkADink Tue 16-Oct-12 14:42:58

Lactoluse makes stools softer so easier to pass it doesn't make you go.

When did you last go?

i was give senna as a extreme measure that really clears you out, however only take on Dr orders as if your later in pregnancy dioreaha can bring on labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now